SiouxSports.com Forum

Gino Gasparini

LB#11

Gino Gasparini was on TV last night talking about bringing the USHL back to Fargo. Gino is now President of the USHL, so I would imagine he has a lot to say with what goes on in the league. For those that don't know, next week there's a vote on a big development in downtown Fargo that would include a new hockey arena. Obviously Gino was trying to promote the arena to get people to vote yes on the new development. I know Fargo hasn't taken to hockey like I wished they had through the years, but hopefully next week people around here will realize that there won't be too many more opportunities like this. God knows Fargo-Moorhead has had their chances having coaches such as Scott Sandelin, Steve Johnson...players like Jeff Panzer, Karl Goehring, Andy Kollar, Andy Rierson, Tyler Arnason and many more. I think it's still a long shot, but hopefully the vote May 3rd will be a positive vote to the new development in downtown Fargo.

My bad Fedorov...I'm not usually a commuity player...I'll have to broaden my horizons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Federov obviously doesn't recognize your "license to kill" avatar. Otherwise, he wouldn't be getting on your case. :glare:

i think there are a couple of issues here. the development group (city scapes) is using a grand forks architect (schoen associates---designer of rea) to design their development. apparently, they are also using gino as their pr person to appeal to the people of fargo. this project has met a lot of opposition. the downtown setting is a good deal for the city, but not the city block that is being proposed. there would be a large compromise of historic buidings on this block. i think the group needs to take a better look at the site for this project as well as the scale of the buildings in their proposal. architecturally, they are way out of context with the rest of downtown.

from a hockey standpoint, i don't think fargo is ready for this. i think they need to have a larger client than the jets and/or a better, more established plan for NDSU's club team. there is no doubt that the coliseum needs to be replaced and that downtown would be an ideal location for an arena. the only question is who would use it. as far as a ushl team in fargo again, i think it would be a conflict of interest. the jets are getting a lot of attention and doing well in their league. they are a development league of sorts for the ushl as some players play in the nahl and eventually move on the play in the ushl.

i will be very surprised to see this pass in fargo. i would be even more surprised to see NDSU get a DI hockey program. we'll have to see how things shake out in the next couple of weeks. perhaps there are a few plans that are waiting in the wings if this happens.

Is there an NCAA reg that prevents the Sioux from hosting an exhibition game with a college club team? If not, why couldn't the Sioux schedule such a game and kick some Bison butt? Maybe the game would ignite hockey fever down in Fargo, at least with the 'SU crowd

i think there are a couple of issues here. the development group (city scapes) is using a grand forks architect (schoen associates---designer of rea) to design their development. apparently, they are also using gino as their pr person to appeal to the people of fargo. this project has met a lot of opposition. the downtown setting is a good deal for the city, but not the city block that is being proposed. there would be a large compromise of historic buidings on this block.  i think the group needs to take a better look at the site for this project as well as the scale of the buildings in their proposal. architecturally, they are way out of context with the rest of downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually all Schoen has done is come up with some conceptual drawings. If the plan goes through the city of Fargo has complete design authority for the block. IMO the block will look a lot different than it does in CityScapes drawings.

Also the only historic building that I see worth saving is the original Fargo National Bank building, which is on the corner of NP and Broadway. Sounds like they aren't opposed to incorpating it in the design.

I'm voting yes, but I don't expect to see it pass.