SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Center Parking Fees

airmail

In a recent Herald Article Alerus parking fees have again been addressed as a way to generate more revenue.

"Sooner or later, it'll have to come," said Alerus Center executive director Charlie Jeske. The center must pay for parking lot maintenance and snow removal, and it's fair to pass that on to consumers, he said.

I really don't care about spending another 4-5 bucks at an event, but with the already hideous traffic flow, can you imagine getting in the lot with every car having to stop and pay? IMO, this will only add to the congestion when you have people making change, searching the seat cushions for loose change, etc.

What's your opinion?

I really don't care about spending another 4-5 bucks at an event, but with the already hideous traffic flow, can you imagine getting in the lot with every car having to stop and pay?  IMO, this will only add to the congestion when you have people making change, searching the seat cushions for loose change, etc.

What's your opinion?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paying a couple bucks to park doesn't bother me, because I can see that is definitely going to happen sometime soon. What bothers me is they don't have enough spaces right now when they have big events and that will only get worse, if and when they build the Canad Inn. Where are people going to park once that building project starts? Why don't they pave more of the open areas surrounding the arena? I know the answer to that is cost, but parking in a "field" when its raining isn't exactly going to attract people to come out to the Alerus to attend an event. I heard Mac Talk yesterday and they talked specifically about this issue. The points were raised that they didn't charge a parking fee to begin with, because they included that fee in the facility charge that gets tacked on to each ticket. They figured they could raise more money that way. So what happens now? They charge for parking per vehicle and per ticket, so you get hit twice with the fee?

IMO...it would be easier and make more sense to just add the cost onto the ticket...add two dollars to the price of the event..rather than paying people to sit out there and collect the money and plus the time of waiting to park in the Alerus as well as the point that was already made....not enough room already....supply and demand...

It's too bad that there isn't an easy way to get traffic out of the Alerus Center parking lot and southbound on I-29.

Crazy thought (bear with me):

- Build the west side of I-29 frontage road from Demers down to 17th Ave. S.

- Put an underpass under I-29 at 17th Ave S.

- Going south from the intersection of the frontage road and 17th Ave S. you'd be forced onto I-29 southbound or you could take the frontage road north to Demers.

You could also maybe set it up such that you could get onto I-29 northbound at 17th Ave. S as well (if you built the underpass anyway). However, I'd say set is up so that you can only get onto, and not exit from, the interstate at 17th Ave. S. (Leave the exit ramps at 32nd Ave S. and Demers Ave.)

With that idea you could use the interstate to unload part of the lots. Plus, then you'd have an underpass to get west of I-29 without having to go to 32nd Ave. S or Demers. It might work.

All those in favor of someone else paying for it say, "Aye." :D

It's too bad that there isn't an easy way to get traffic out of the Alerus Center parking lot and southbound on I-29.

Crazy thought (bear with me):

- Build the west side of I-29 frontage road from Demers down to 17th Ave. S.

- Put an underpass under I-29 at 17th Ave S.

- Going south from the intersection of the frontage road and 17th Ave S. you'd be forced onto I-29 southbound or you could take the frontage road north to Demers.

You could also maybe set it up such that you could get onto I-29 northbound at 17th Ave. S as well (if you built the underpass anyway). However, I'd say set is up so that you can only get onto, and not exit from, the interstate at 17th Ave. S. (Leave the exit ramps at 32nd Ave S. and Demers Ave.)

With that idea you could use the interstate to unload part of the lots. Plus, then you'd have an underpass to get west of I-29 without having to go to 32nd Ave. S or Demers. It might work.

All those in favor of someone else paying for it say, "Aye." :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the problem is with the land surrounding the Alerus. There was a story in the paper a few years back that broke down who owned what land. These people are sitting on the land (I know a couple of them) and holding out so either the state (interstate ramps etc.) or the city (parking or frontage type roads) will pay them boat loads to get it. I'm not sure if that is still the problem although I know a few are still holding out for more $$.

The land across 42nd (the field you park in) is owned by Crary (Crary Real Estate). They are making a good deal of money leaving it unpaved and selling parking for events. Hussey (of EGF) owns some of the land out there too and is holding out for a big pay check.

The next logical retail corridor in GF (after Columbia and 32nd Ave and the Bronson Property are full) is 42nd Street from Demers to 32nd Ave S. I wish I owned some of that land.

Another key: That underpass would let industrial development occur west of I-29 and yet have fairly easy access to UND and the rest of Grand Forks.