SiouxSports.com Forum

Zach Attack Article

NoDakHockey281183

It would seem to me it is a better indication of how successful they feel the players will be in the NHL, in which it appears size is a big consideration as well as talent.

That's why I gave the example of Parise being the same size as Zajac. If he was that big, do you think he'd still have been drafted 17th? I think he'd have been up in the top handful.

Size is not talent. If my hypothesis is correct, it would indicate a talent differential.

I'm not ripping Zajac. I love the guy. Every time he touches the puck I think something special can happen. But it's no accident Parise put up 60+ points his freshman year and Zajac just under 40. I don't think Zajac is way less of a player than Parise was, but yes, I think Parise had a bigger impact on the college game than Zajac has, so far.

I'm not ripping Zajac.  I love the guy.  Every time he touches the puck I think something special can happen.  But it's no accident Parise put up 60+ points his freshman year and Zajac just under 40.  I don't think Zajac is way less of a player than  Parise was, but yes, I think Parise had a bigger impact on the college game than Zajac has, so far.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you, but that doesn't mean Zach is going to be a "better" player than Zajac in the pros.

It was the way "siouxtatoo42" made it seem that Zach was and is head and shoulders a better player than Travis. It is too tough to compare them right now.

I still think there is not much of a gap between the two players, even as collegians. Size is valued by professional and college scouts for a reason, as big players who can skate can do things that smaller players cannot. Someone described hockey as a bunch of footraces to the puck and wrestling matches for the puck. Bigger guys win more wrestling matches. I was in awe of some of Zach's shifts, but the fact is that the defenders he was wearing did diminish his effectiveness. I saw Zajac able to fight through checks that would have slowed Parise down, which is why I think he is a similar caliber player, despite having a slightly lower skill level.

I still think there is not much of a gap between the two players, even as collegians.  Size is valued by professional and college scouts for a reason, as big players who can skate can do things that smaller players cannot.  Someone described hockey as a bunch of footraces to the puck and wrestling matches for the puck.  Bigger guys win more wrestling matches.  I was in awe of some of Zach's shifts, but the fact is that the defenders he was wearing did diminish his effectiveness.  I saw Zajac able to fight through checks that would have slowed Parise down, which is why I think he is a similar caliber player, despite having a slightly lower skill level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this, Parise was a great player no doubt. However, as the best player on the team last year he really did not pick up his game in the postseason the way Zajac did this past post season. Zajac could still make a play with a d-man draped all over him, Parise struggled more when things got physical. It will be great seeing these two center lines for the Devils if there is an NHL in the future.