SiouxSports.com Forum

Roger Maris

UNO Rules

What makes people think Roger Maris didn't take steroids?

Someone can correct me but around that time steroids, I don't believe, were illegal or outlawed in Baseball, or the country, and many people found it be a wonderful drug with little or no side effects.....sorta like Cigarettes at the time. :D:)

does anyone not remember that babe ruth used a corked bat?? they will never go back and change the records. as much a fan i am of maris, they will never take it away from mcguire and subsequently bonds. you cannot go back in time and say they were using without having their test results from then. my guess is they don't since it hasn't been brought to light. I personally think that with the threat of "outing" the people who do eventually get caught for using steroids in baseball, you will see a rapid decline in the use......more than likely down to almost nobody using. The embarrasment of being labeled a cheater and having your entire career tarnish by being caught is far more damaging than the 10k fine or 10 days off as the "on field" punishment. furthermore, how many teams do you think will keep a known cheater in their lineup, even after their league penalty has been served?? my guess is anyone that gets caught using will find themselves on waivers spending their time in a rehab clinic somewhere attempting to get theirselves right.

if the senator wants to change it because of an unfair advantage, then why not go back and change all the pitching records from the early 1900s when the mound was higher and when the fences were farther back. and while we're on that, why not get rid of all the .400plus batting averages because of the lack of african american ballplayers. the records shouldnt be changed becuase steroids were legal in baseball at the time that this happened. it shouldnt even be considered cheating because anyone could use steroids - even pitchers. guys like macgwire, bonds, sosa are naturally gifted athletes. sure steroids helps them hit the ball farther, but does that mean if i take steroids i could hit 500 foot moonshots? no. look at bonds's homerun numbers before, say 1998. from 1997 going down - 40 42 33 37 46. this was when the guy was still skinny. hes definately one of the best hitters ever and it is just a shame that his numbers will be tainted.

Someone can correct me but around that time steroids, I don't believe, were illegal or outlawed in Baseball, or the country, and many people found it be a wonderful drug with little or no side effects.....sorta like Cigarettes at the time.  :0  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Roger would care for the fuss over his record. He was more concerned about his team winning. I would put a lot of money down that he didn't use anabolic steroids. Although I don't think the record will be restored, it is not being done as a joke, but out of respect to a great man.

Besides, he still has the American League record for Home Runs in a season. :D

But we can't go back and bring his record back just because he is a great man, there is just way to much invested. I don't see anything changing in the record books ever.

Maybe a rule could be in affect now that if you are found to be using steroids, say 2 or 3 times, all your stats are thrown out, I would think that would be pretty scary to players thinking about using them!

Rick Reilly has an interesting article in the current SI about Roger Maris and how he didn't take any performance enhancing drugs to hit 61 homers. There are quite a few quotes from Roger Maris, Jr. Including this one:

But until there's more proof, I don't want to say Dad's record was broken illegally. But I have my suspicions."
Reilly finished the article by saying
Yeah, well, some of us don't have to wait for a commissioner or panel or act of Congress to find the truth. As far as I'm concerned, the home run mark belongs to a shy, big-boned guy from Fargo, N.Dak., who belted 61 on nothing more than Lucky Strikes and Pepto-Bismol.

And if McGwire or Sosa or Bonds makes it into Cooperstown before Roger Maris, the lights ought to be turned off and the doors never opened again.

Now that would be a dark hall.

For those that are SI subscribers, you can access it online: http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs/siexclus...0411/index.html

Someone can correct me but around that time steroids, I don't believe, were illegal or outlawed in Baseball, or the country, and many people found it be a wonderful drug with little or no side effects.....sorta like Cigarettes at the time.  :D  :ohmy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you serious? Have you ever seen Roger Maris, he most certainly was not on steroids.