SiouxSports.com Forum

Mr. Hockey North Dakota

gr8sk8er

Any predictions on Mr. Hockey?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the award is voted on by the coaches so I would start by trying to figure out how they would assess the relative merits of Aide vs Bair vs Marto. I am not sure how the voting goes in terms of a ranking system (each coach rates each player 1, 2 and 3 then votes totaled with points for places) or simply list your choice. I would guess Marto would get it because few eastern coaches have seen Bair. Aide has been around on select teams and so forth so he is a known quantity but I would guess that two west candidates could hurt their voting pool thus resulting in an east player elected. It really comes down to what the eastern coaches, as a group, think of Jake Marto in my view.

The three finalists as selected by the coaches are Charlie Bair, Sam Aide and Jake Marto. That list is on the home page of the North Dakota High School Stat Page hosted by Bob Gillen.

Well, the award is voted on by the coaches so I would start by trying to figure out how they would assess the relative merits of Aide vs Bair vs Marto. I am not sure how the voting goes in terms of a ranking system (each coach rates each player 1, 2 and 3 then votes totaled with points for places) or simply list your choice. I would guess Marto would get it because few eastern coaches have seen Bair. Aide has been around on select teams and so forth so he is a known quantity but I would guess that two west candidates could hurt their voting pool thus resulting in an east player elected. It really comes down to what the eastern coaches, as a group, think of Jake Marto in my view.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what what what?! nd pride, i respect you as a poster but Sam Aide for Mr. Hockey? ick! How bout Marto, that big Defense from RR, and Bair. and i wasnt quite sure if paul campbell was a senior but if so, he'd get my vote. just my opinion tho : )

what what what?! nd pride, i respect you as a poster but Sam Aide for Mr. Hockey? ick! How bout Marto, that big Defense from RR, and Bair. and i wasnt quite sure if paul campbell was a senior but if so, he'd get my vote. just my opinion tho : )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haas, dear buddy, the final three candidates were posted on Bob Gillen's site for high school hockey. The three finalists are Aide, Bair and Marto. The award goes to the top senior. Those are not choices that I am giving, I just gave my analysis of the names that the North Dakota coaches have narrowed down to three finalists. One of those three kids will be Mr. Hockey.

If I was looking for players I think there are some juniors that would fit in there if the award was open to non-seniors. Paul Campbell and his cousin Thomas Campbell are juniors. Paul Weisgarber is also a junior. Anyway, an analysis of the junior class could take a bit of time and I don't want to slight anyone because there are a lot of excellent junior players.

Haas, dear buddy, the final three candidates were posted on Bob Gillen's site for high school hockey. The three finalists are Aide, Bair and Marto. The award goes to the top senior. Those are not choices that I am giving, I just gave my analysis of the names that the North Dakota coaches have narrowed down to three finalists. One of those three kids will be Mr. Hockey.

If I was looking for players I think there are some juniors that would fit in there if the award was open to non-seniors. Paul Campbell and his cousin Thomas Campbell are juniors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ya next year will be tough to find a Mr. Hockey! I just thought of that haha but it will be fun to post on here who we all think will be it at this time next year. I predict many dissapointed people when they make a descion thought because there will be so much competition.

ya next year will be tough to find a Mr. Hockey! I just thought of that haha but it will be fun to post on here who we all think will be it at this time next year. I predict many dissapointed people when they make a descion thought because there will be so much competition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, you might be surprised at the lack of disappointment next year and here is why. Nearly all of the 1988 birthyear kids are friends and most of them are juniors. These kids have played selects together and many of them (Grand Forks kids, Minot, Grafton, North and South Fargo, Bismarck) have played nearly 100 games as team mates - one hundred that is not a typo. They went to bantam nationals together and went to the championship game only to lose in the final minutes. I think these kids would cheer one another when the Mr. Hockey candidate is announced - these kids have been functioning more as team mates than competitors. That is one of the great things about the USA Hockey Select program and the new Elite program. It breaks down that east/west thinking - north/south - Grand Forks vs Fargo vs Minot vs Bismarck vs whatever. You are right there are many quality kids who are high school juniors but when the award is announced many kids will celebrate together because of the friendships they have made over the years.

I believe it was an MCL injury. He tore it before the season began, and I guess it has kind of been nagging him all season. Towards the end of Bismarck's game against Hazen he was trying to skate around a kid and the kid stuck his leg out and their legs hit. When I saw it happen I thought...OUCH!!! He kind of limped to the bench then, and didn't get another shift. I think Bismarck did the right thing sitting him against Minot, it was a pretty physical game, and they'll definately need him against Red River.

I believe it was an MCL injury.  He tore it before the season began, and I guess it has kind of been nagging him all season.  Towards the end of Bismarck's game against Hazen he was trying to skate around a kid and the kid stuck his leg out and their legs hit.  When I saw it happen I thought...OUCH!!!  He kind of limped to the bench then, and didn't get another shift.  I think Bismarck did the right thing sitting him against Minot, it was a pretty physical game, and they'll definately need him against Red River.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rumor has it that Aide is done for the year. What would that do to bismarck's chances against this Red River squad. Even though aide is their best player they have other capable forwards. Any thoughts?

Aide will be ready for state, Bina took him out as a precautionary, because bismarck already made state. He could of played if he had too, but no reason. On a side note, in the 2 games he did play he scored 4 goals and have 5 assists for 9 points to lead the west region tourny, not bad for 2 games played. He deserves more credit from the eastern people on this site than he is getting.

Actually, you might be surprised at the lack of disappointment next year and here is why. Nearly all of the 1988 birthyear kids are friends and most of them are juniors. These kids have played selects together and many of them (Grand Forks kids, Minot, Grafton, North and South Fargo, Bismarck) have played nearly 100 games as team mates - one hundred that is not a typo. They went to bantam nationals together and went to the championship game only to lose in the final minutes. I think these kids would cheer one another when the Mr. Hockey candidate is announced - these kids have been functioning more as team mates than competitors. That is one of the great things about the USA Hockey Select program and the new Elite program. It breaks down that east/west thinking - north/south - Grand Forks vs Fargo vs Minot vs Bismarck vs whatever. You are right there are many quality kids who are high school juniors but when the award is announced many kids will celebrate together because of the friendships they have made over the years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes i agree with you on that. And i am friends with many of the juniors, many that you know and are specifically talking about. And ya some of us have our own predictions on this and that. What i was trying to say is that next year who ever does win, there will be fans that will be dissapointed that this guy didn't get it or whatever. I was not trying to say players would be dissapointed, but more of fans. However, people can improve over the year. look at Grant Larson, he goes from third line jv to starting varsity. So we never know what is going to happen i guess. That's what I love about this sport.

Aide will be ready for state,  Bina took him out as a precautionary, because bismarck already made state. He could of played if he had too, but no reason. On a side note, in the 2 games he did play he scored 4 goals and have 5 assists for 9 points to lead the west region tourny, not bad for 2 games played. He deserves more credit from the eastern people on this site than he is getting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aide went to the doctor today for an MRI and he is done and his season is over he will not be suiting up under any conditions the kid has alot of road ahead of him and to try and do the impossible and ruin some future oppurtunities is probably out of the picture

poor kid doesnt get to play in the state tounry when BHS in my mind has a shot at state

but who knows what could happen

Aide went to the doctor today for an MRI and he is done and his season is over he will not be suiting up under any conditions the kid has alot of road ahead of him and to try and do the impossible and ruin some future oppurtunities is probably out of the picture

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bismarck's coach told the media yesterday that Aide is, in fact, done for the season and will not dress for State.

yes i agree with you on that. And i am friends with many of the juniors, many that you know and are specifically talking about. And ya some of us have our own predictions on this and that. What i was trying to say is that next year who ever does win, there will be fans that will be dissapointed that this guy didn't get it or whatever. I was not trying to say players would be dissapointed, but more of fans. However, people can improve over the year. look at Grant Larson, he goes from third line jv to starting varsity. So we never know what is going to happen i guess. That's what I love about this sport.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Marto will get Mr hockey this year and next year these are my top five canidates

Paul Weisgaber South

Jordan Willert Minot

Paul Campbell GPR

John Greciar GFC

Marc Mihulka GFRR

Assuming no one moves on right? I can't wait for Thursday, someone earlier mentioned GFC being in the hurt bag without Garritson, if he doesn't play they are really in trouble. Minot plays the body (from what I'm told) I'm excited for that kind of a game. Good luck to all the teams, especially teams from the West (maybe since I finally believe in them, they'll believe in themselves). Was the last West team to win a opening round game in 99-00 when GFC didn't make the tourney and Jamestown/Erstad went as a 4 seed?

Assuming no one moves on right?  I can't wait for Thursday, someone earlier mentioned GFC being in the hurt bag without Garritson, if he doesn't play they are really in trouble.  Minot plays the body (from what I'm told) I'm excited for that kind of a game.  Good luck to all the teams, especially teams from the West (maybe since I finally believe in them, they'll believe in themselves).  Was the last West team to win a opening round game in 99-00 when GFC didn't make the tourney and Jamestown/Erstad went as a 4 seed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bismarck High beat Grafton last year in the first round.

Assuming no one moves on right?  I can't wait for Thursday, someone earlier mentioned GFC being in the hurt bag without Garritson, if he doesn't play they are really in trouble.  Minot plays the body (from what I'm told) I'm excited for that kind of a game.  Good luck to all the teams, especially teams from the West (maybe since I finally believe in them, they'll believe in themselves).  Was the last West team to win a opening round game in 99-00 when GFC didn't make the tourney and Jamestown/Erstad went as a 4 seed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I am not here to build up one team over another - this is a tough year to call - and much of the analysis here is based on more emotion than fact. I am in the east but here is one fact - A west team won an opening round game last year as Bismarck High beat Grafton 2-1 in OT. Bismarck then lost to South in the Semi-final 2-1. Also, Bismarck Century upset EDC Champs North High in 2002 in the opening round on a shot from Dallas Bossert who now plays for Shattuck-St. Mary's Nationally ranked Prep team. Maybe if all of the stats were in front of us we would all be more humble.

Marto is hands down Mr. Hockey. The teams he plays every game are three times better than the teams any kid from the west plays, with the exception of Minot and maybe Bismarck. Players will get more points when they play more bad teams and bad goaltenders. Marto lifts Central to a level that they would be nowhere near without him. He makes teams change their gameplans and Central would not be in the state tournament without him.

Marto is hands down Mr. Hockey.  The teams he plays every game are three times better than the teams any kid from the west plays, with the exception of Minot and maybe Bismarck.  Players will get more points when they play more bad teams and bad goaltenders.  Marto lifts Central to a level that they would be nowhere near without him.  He makes teams change their gameplans and Central would not be in the state tournament without him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Marto is very worthy of the award, and without question, Charlie Bair would not have the points he has had if his team played in the east. However, you can't blame Charlie for the fact the east teams play Minnesota teams rather than west teams. He is only the second player in ND history to score 50+ goals. Every team knew they had to stop him and they still could not contain him. Minot was down 3-1 to Mandan early in the year. Charlie would be welcome by any coach to play on their team in a heartbeat. He is a very special and deserving player of this award. Sam Aide is also very deserving. Remember, this is a individual award in a team sport. No one player in the state did more for their team than what Charlie did for Mandan. Nobody!

Marto is very worthy of the award, and without question, Charlie Bair would not have the points he has had if his team played in the east. However, you can't blame Charlie for the fact the east teams play Minnesota teams rather than west teams. He is only the second player in ND history to score 50+ goals. Every team knew they had to stop him and they still could not contain him. Minot was down 3-1 to Mandan early in the year. Charlie would be welcome by any coach to play on their team in a heartbeat. He is a very special and deserving player of this award. Sam Aide is also very deserving. Remember, this is a individual award in a team sport. No one player in the state did more for their team than what Charlie did for Mandan. Nobody!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How are Mandan's practices going this week......Oh wait, they're done.