SiouxSports.com Forum

UND LAW ALUM

jloos

I just found out Professor Randy Lee is in intensive care at Altru. He is listed in critical condition, but they have not said what happened, other than it was for an illness.

I know Prof Lee has been at UND forever, and thought his former students would like to say a prayer for him.

I have the utmost respect for Professor Lee both as a professor and as a person. He is a brilliant man, but is also completely down-to-earth and just a fun guy to talk to. I don't think anybody in my class would have a bad word to say about him. He and his family are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

Second-year Corporations class - Randy Lee teaching - in the background for all to see on two tv's ----> a college hockey national tourney game. Of course it was the Gophers and Wolverines, but college hockey nevertheless.

Now THAT was my kind of class taught by a wonderful and caring professor.

PS - The Gophers lost if memory serves - how great is that?

• 4 weeks later...

There will be a visitation at Amundson Funeral Home, 2975 42nd St. South, Grand Forks, from 5:00-7:00 pm on Tuesday, March 8.

A memorial service will be held at Chester Fritz Auditorium on Wednesday, March 9, at 1:30.

Here's a statment released by UND this afternoon.

Randy Lee, 1944-2005

It is with regret that we announce the death of Randy Lee, longtime

professor of law, this morning. 

>From President Kupchella:

"We are deeply saddened by the death of Randy Lee, a longtime faculty

member in the School of Law.  Randy's impact on the legal profession in

North Dakota and on the University of North Dakota is nothing short of

profound.  He was liked and respected by countless students, faculty,

staff and members of the legal and law enforcement professions, and

more.  He was an active guardian of the legal profession in North

Dakota, through his work in the classroom and through his work with the

North Dakota State Bar Association and other legal professional

organizations and committees.  On campus, he was respected as the

authority on UND's constitution and the workings of UND's governance

system.  On a personal note, I will miss him in many ways -- from his

erudite demeanor in University Senate debates, to his Big Band show.  He

helped me in so many ways as the resident expert on State Board of

Higher Education policies and UND's constitution.  On behalf of all of

the faculty, staff and students, I extend our deepest sympathy to Paula.

We, too, are deeply saddened and we share her loss."

>From Law School Dean Paul LeBel:

"The University of North Dakota School of Law is deeply saddened by the

loss of our dear friend and colleague Randy H. Lee, the Bar Foundation

Professor of Law, who died this morning, March 3, 2005, in Grand Forks.

Professor Lee's dedication and service to the School of Law and to the

legal community of North Dakota are immeasurable and irreplaceable.  In

his thirty years as a member of the law faculty, Professor Lee taught a

significant percentage of our alumni, for whom he remained a trusted

advisor throughout their careers.  In his distinguished professional

life, Professor Lee touched the lives of those who knew him in a way

that has brought great honor to the profession of law at all levels.  He

will be greatly missed."

Services:

There will be a visitation at Amundson Funeral Home, 2975 42nd St.

South, Grand Forks, from 5:00-7:00 pm on Tuesday, March 8.

A memorial service will be held at Chester Fritz Auditorium on

Wednesday, March 9, at 1:30.  A reception will follow the service.

Randy Lee's obituary is available at the North Dakota Supreme Court web

site,  http://www.ndcourts.com/court/news/leeobit.htm.

You can sign Professor Lee's Guestbook here

From the Herald:

OBITUARY: Big man, big-band taste

UND law professor Randy Lee dead at 61

By David Dodds

Herald Staff Writer

Randy Lee wasn't shy to speak his mind.

And when he did, people took notice of the longtime UND law professor, whether in the classroom or on the floor of the Faculty Senate, where he often acted as official and sometimes de facto parliamentarian.

UND is remembering Lee today, a large-framed man who's booming voice exuded confidence, and whose love of the big-band sound got him a hosting gig on local public radio. He died early Thursday morning after falling gravely ill, according to a statement from the UND School of Law.

Lee was 61.

"Professor Lee's dedication and service to the school of law and to the legal community of North Dakota are immeasurable and irreplaceable," said UND Law Dean Paul LeBel.

Lee served on UND's law faculty for 30 years. He was the law school's acting dean for one year after the resignation of former dean Bob Rushing in 1979.

During his tenure, Lee has taught some of UND's current law school faculty, and remained a trusted adviser in their careers and to others in and out of the law school.

"He will be greatly missed," LeBel said.

Big band pals

For about 15 years, Lee was co-host with another Grand Forks attorney, Dick King, of a local public radio jazz and big band show airing on weekends, "In The Mood." When the show resumed after the 1997 flood, Lee became the solo host Sunday mornings.

King, who is noted locally for his own big band, said that Lee was a good friend.

"Our tastes were consistent," King said. "For a nonmusician, he had an excellent knowledge of the big-band era."

Lee also served about six years on the Grand Forks Historic Preservation Commission. His expertise in contract law and covenants was a valuable addition to the commission, said its president Marsha Gunderson.

"(He) could always be counted on for his wise counsel and level-headedness," Gunderson said.

Lee, a native of Baltimore, earned his bachelor's and law degrees at Washington and Lee University in Virginia. He was admitted to the Maryland Bar in 1969 and has been a member of the North Dakota bar since 1980.

Before coming to UND, Lee set up private practice in Baltimore, worked a year as assistant attorney general of Maryland, and then general counsel of the Maryland Port Authority.

Lee became a full professor at UND in 1985. His teaching load included courses in corporate and labor law and workers compensation.

He was honored with the State Bar Association of North Dakota Distinguished Service Award in 1999 for being a "guiding light through the murky waters of professional responsibility."

"I will miss him in many ways - from his erudite demeanor in University Senate debates, to his big band show," said UND President Charles Kupchella. "He helped me in so many ways as the resident expert on state Board of Higher Education policies and UND's constitution."

Tributes galore

A moment of silence in Lee's honor was held at the beginning of Thursday's regular monthly University Senate meeting.

Jim Grijalva, a UND law professor and chair of the senate, was visibly shaken by the loss of an 11-year mentor who was his office neighbor at the law school. Grijalva canceled one of his classes because, he said, he wasn't up to teaching it. He also asked Susan Jeno, vice chair of the Senate, to preside over that body in his stead.

"His intellect and his personality were awe-inspiring or intimidating, depending on your perspective," Grijalva said of Lee.

Dan Rice, dean of UND's College of Education and Human Development, offered up a Senate motion to memorialize Lee. It was approved unanimously.

"He was the lone voice on campus often times speaking out against injustices - he definitely spoke his mind," said Curt Stofferahn, a UND sociology professor.

A fitting mass e-mail was sent around the campus community Thursday shortly after the passing of Lee, who, at one time, was an actor in local theater productions. It included a quote from Horatio of Shakespeare's play "Hamlet" on the death of Hamlet: "Now cracks a noble heart. Good night, sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!"

Lee is survived by his wife, Paula, whom he married in 1971.

I attended Prof. Randy's prayer service last evening. The speaker was Gordon Iseminger (history teacher and fellow member of the GF Historical Preservation Society with Randy). GI read various selections on laughter and music, bible passages which were read at Randy and Paula's wedding, and finished the evening with a Rudyard Kipling poem. After each selection GI invited people to share a memory or two. Thoughts were given by: John Hoff (talked about Randy's spirit and how it could be felt); Christine Hogan (talked about Randy's importance in being a bridge between UND law school, SBAND, faculty, students, lawyers -- both ND educated and others); Bill Thoms (talked about various memories -- mentioned Randy was happy to see him/bill leave law school 'cause Randy got his corner office); Howard Swanson (talked about even though not a grad of UND law how much Randy meant to him/helpful -- called Randy the eternal optimist since he was a huge Baltimore Orioles fan); a friend of Paula's talked; his nephew finished the remarks. Other UND Law people I notice were: Profs. Larry K., Al B., Patti A., Barbara V., also, Eileen N., and Marcia?? (I think that's her name) from the dean's office/secretary -- there were probably others but those were the ones seated in my immediate area

It was a really peaceful, sad, funny time. I'm grateful I was able to attend -- Randy looked like Randy . . . . . many, many flowers, plants . . . it's very evident from the talk before, during and after that he was well respected and loved. While standing in the line to talk to Paula people were talking about how moving the comments on the GF Herald's page were -- so Thanks to ScottM among others as those comments are being read, and are greatly appreciated.

I imagine that today's service at the Chester Fritz will be well attended.

I attended Prof. Randy's prayer service last evening.  The speaker was Gordon Iseminger (history teacher and fellow member of the GF Historical Preservation Society with Randy).  GI read various selections on laughter and music, bible passages which were read at Randy and Paula's wedding, and finished the evening with a Rudyard Kipling poem.  After each selection GI invited people to share a memory or two.  Thoughts were given by:  John Hoff (talked about Randy's spirit and how it could be felt); Christine Hogan (talked about Randy's importance in being a bridge between UND law school, SBAND, faculty, students, lawyers -- both ND educated and others); Bill Thoms (talked about various memories -- mentioned Randy was happy to see him/bill leave law school 'cause Randy got his corner office); Howard Swanson (talked about even though not a grad of UND law how much Randy meant to him/helpful -- called Randy the eternal optimist since he was a huge Baltimore Orioles fan); a friend of Paula's talked; his nephew finished the remarks.  Other UND Law people I notice were:  Profs. Larry K.,  Al B., Patti A., Barbara V., also, Eileen N., and Marcia?? (I think that's her name) from the dean's office/secretary -- there were probably others but those were the ones seated in my immediate area

It was a really peaceful, sad, funny time.  I'm grateful I was able to attend -- Randy looked like Randy . . . . .  many, many flowers, plants . . .  it's very evident from the talk before, during and after that he was well respected and loved.  While standing in the line to talk to Paula people were talking about how moving the comments on the GF Herald's page were -- so Thanks to ScottM among others as those comments are being read, and are greatly appreciated.

I imagine that today's service at the Chester Fritz will be well attended.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There will be a processional from the law school to the Chester Fritz, we are lining up about 12:40 and leaving at 12:50. Any alum or anyone else are free to join. I can see Professor Lee rolling his eyes when John Hoff was speaking :lol: They respected each other, but disagreed on most everything (then again pretty much everyone disagrees with John Hoff on most things).

I can see Professor Lee rolling his eyes when John Hoff was speaking :lol:  They respected each other, but disagreed on most everything (then again pretty much everyone disagrees with John Hoff on most things).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha! Eye rolling was mentioned last night too. I think you hit it on the head!