SiouxSports.com Forum

Yet Another D2 School --> DI Conference

star2city

There again another school in a favorable region entering a conference that just lost a school. But in more favorable conference news to the SU's, Western Kentucky from the Gateway conference may decide to jump up and play D1A football in the MAC leaving the conference down a power team. And if they want another power school they would probably add NDSU to give them 8 schools again. The Gateway is football only but playing in an established IAA conference with Mid Con, Horizen, and MVC schools would probably make it easier to get into one of those conferences. I think either WKU, SIU, or Montana could make the D1A jump leaving a IAA power conference in need of a solid team in the next few years. You may not agree with the (damn the torpedos, full spead ahead" approach but I think it will pay off for NDSU in the long run and will get them into a conference much faster. A D1 conference in this region is much more likely to take an established D1 indy school before it takes a D2 school.

There again another school in a favorable region entering a conference that just lost a school. But in more favorable conference news to the SU's, Western Kentucky from the Gateway conference may decide to jump up and play D1A football in the MAC leaving the conference down a power team. And if they want another power school they would probably add NDSU to give them 8 schools again. The Gateway is football only but playing in an established IAA conference with Mid Con, Horizen, and MVC schools would probably make it easier to get into one of those conferences.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If WKU leaves, the Gateway probably doesn't have many choices, except NDSU, SDSU, Wichita State (if it revives football) and certain DII GLIAC schools (would they ask GVSU, monster?) Except for an autobid in football, arguably the Gateway doesn't really buy that much. Would a lineup of Ill St. S Ill, W Ill, Ind St, N Iowa, Youngstown St, and SW Mo St, although formidable, generate much excitement? N Iowa would be the only real rival.

Since SDSU is not up to full football scholarships, would that mean SDSU and NDSU would part ways? IF NDSU moved to the Gateway, an unintended consequence might be to force Cal Poly and Cal-Davis into the Big Sky, so their football schedule and programs remain viable. Is that something NDSU wants to do: risk anchoring more California schools in the BSC, freezing out eastward expansion indefinitely?

I think either WKU, SIU, or Montana could make the D1A jump leaving a IAA power conference in need of a solid team in the next few years. You may not agree with the "damn the torpedos, full spead ahead" approach but I think it will pay off for NDSU in the long run and will get them into a conference much faster. A D1 conference in this region is much more likely to take an established D1 indy school before it takes a D2 school.

I would agree that DI conferences in this region are much more likely to take an established DI indy, but those same conferences are so focused on potential television viewers that Dakota schools have extreme difficulty getting serious consideration. For UND, it really is best for NDSU and SDSU to do the heavy plowing (sinking mega-dollars into annual expenditures), while UND continues its internal athletic improvements until that "Gentleman's agreement" presents itself, which will, ironically, be made possible, in part, courtesy of NDSU teammakers.

I think NDSU and SDSU both are certanties for the BSC. some schools are in favorable locations. We are not. Wheather or not we are going to get some kind of free ride from the efforts of NDSU or SDSU is pure speculation. If we ever move we are going to pay our way not them.

If we ever make it in the reason will be that the Bison and several other BSC schools have moved up to DI-A. I think NDSU will certainly move to DI-A football within 15 yrs or outgrowing the FargoDome, whichever comes first. I dont know why we always feel we have to keep up or catch up with them? They moved on and we didnt. We did the right thing and so did they. We just arent ready and may never be.

The Gateway would give NDSU an auto-bid and membership into an established and respected IAA conference. The Gateway could also help NDSU get into a D1 all sports conference because it would actually be in a league with teams in other conferences they want to join. Yeah that isn't the most exciting line-up of teams but UNI and SIU would be two great opponents to have on the schedule and the Gateway fits NDSU geographically much better then either the GWFC or the Big Sky. The best case scenario would be for the Gateway to add three teams and form a ten team league by adding NDSU, SDSU, and UNO?/UND?/GVSU? that would basically make the league a perfect fit for NDSU, but it would be alot more likely for them to just add NDSU. And if moving to the Gateway shuts the Big Sky door so be it. I think it is highly likely that Montana will jump to D1A in the next ten years and whats the Big Sky without Montana. I would rather be in any combination of Gateway/Mid Con, Horizen, or MVC(best case) then the Big Sky(especially a non-Montana Sky).

And I agree NDSU is doing most of UND's work and UND's only punishment for not jumping may be having to wait because of tourny prohabition and shortend one at that thanks to NDSU and SDSU.

Hmmmm.... My ears are burnin!!! Must be because I'm the resident GLIAC expert around these parts here. :D:blush:

Right now, GVSU is sitting pretty in D2. Plus, we don't really have the facilities on campus to be a D1-AA school, especially for Basketball. We would eather have to build a new gym or completely overhaul the one we have, or play more of our home games in Grand Rapids if we was to make the move to D1-AA. I really don't see us doing that for maybe another 10-15 years maybe. However, the has been some rumors that another GLIAC team has been looking into moving up. Wayne State University in Detroit. The mayor of detroit would probably like to see it I think. They have some fairly nice on campus facilities and pretty close to others as well. Plus, having the extra scholorships would probably help them out a lot in signing more of the Metro Detroit talent. Might help them keep more of those kids local instead of going off to some other college to play ball. Plus, being in Detroit, it would give a conferance access to the media market there. I don't see why Gateway would be all that hot to get them right now however, unless those teams are just looking for somebody to make schedualing easier and to pad their Win columns. Plus, WSU is more of a BB school, so they would probably want an all sport conferance to get into. Thats just my opinion however.

Also, Its unlikely to happen, but maybe the NCAA will finally get serious about that attendence rule and start droping D1-A schools back down to D1-AA. With all the big shakeups in the major conferances in D1, there are also some MAC schools out there, that could be out looking for a new conferance as well. Eastern Michigan would be a safe bet as one to go. Its pretty hard to draw a crowd on Saturdays in Ypsi when you got 100,000+ across town watching somebody else. ;)

The Gateway is one of I-AA's top conferences. It would be great to get into this conference from either a NDSU or SDSU standpoint.

As far as being excited about the Missouri Valley, I would be trilled to be in the MVC. Last year, two schools got into the Field of 65 and should have as many this year, if not more. In most years, it is considered the top Mid-Major conference in the country and I would be excited about it completely. Wichita State, Illinois State, Indiana State, Northern Iowa, Creighton, and the rest have seen great success in the Division I ranks.

Indiana State (with Larry Bird) made it to the Final Four in 1979. Wichita State has won three or four College World Series titles. Northern Iowa has been in the NCAA Field of 65 a couple times in the past couple years, as has Creighton.

Of course, I for one, would not mind the Mid-Con for NDSU. I know that this is one of the conferences near the bottom of Division I play but it is a good start to get the feet wet in DI play. Plus, NDSU and SDSU would likely see some DI success right away in this conference--as it would in the Big Sky.

I still think the Big Sky is not done and that Montana is a long way from moving to DI-A. They still have a big budget defecit to over come and I think they want this balanced before they make any kind of move.

Anyway, we shall see. NDSU still has three plus years of its transition and after this time, I know their will be a conference in place.