SiouxSports.com Forum

JAN 17TH USCHO BRACKETOLOGY WEEK 2 EDITION

AZSIOUX

There is no way WI is out and ND is in at this point. WI has a brutal schedule the rest of the way, if they lose a good portion of those and the Sioux sweep them then maybe, but at this time - no way.

For the Sioux to even make the NCAA's they are going to have to have a good showing with WI and Denver (meaning at least 5 of the 8 points) as well as sweep PCU, Bemidji and AA (have to make up for that home loss).

They can do it and I am very confident they will do it.

There is no way WI is out and ND is in at this point.  WI has a brutal schedule the rest of the way, if they lose a good portion of those and the Sioux sweep them then maybe, but at this time - no way.

For the Sioux to even make the NCAA's they are going to have to have a good showing with WI and Denver (meaning at least 5 of the 8 points) as well as sweep PCU, Bemidji and AA (have to make up for that home loss). 

They can do it and I am very confident they will do it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure where AZSioux's brackets came from, unless they are his own, but USCHO currently has both ND and Wisco in the 16 teams.

You may be right on the games the Sioux have to win. They are very close in turning the power points vs MSU, Cornell, Mass-Lowell, Harvard, Colgate and UNH back in their favor, but they need to improve their record vs. TUC's (currently 6-8-2). Fortunately, Bemidji is a TUC currently, so the Sioux could improve their record to 8-8-2 if they win both (and we hope Bemidji remains a TUC). Denver and Wisco again afford the Sioux the opportunity to improve their record vs TUC's. Also depends on what the above teams do against remaining TUC's on their schedules, but all could be turned in favor of the Sioux.

There is no way WI is out and ND is in at this point.  WI has a brutal schedule the rest of the way, if they lose a good portion of those and the Sioux sweep them then maybe, but at this time - no way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As of now, WI is #14 (UND t-12) in the power rankings. I realize there is a ways to go, but with the two auto bids, WI is definitely on the bubble at this point. There is a short discussion by the bracketology author on USCHO regarding WI.

my bad SPRIG. i did not notice i posted the other scenerio bracket at the bottom of the USCHO page which would have wisconsin out. to confusing...i posted the correct bracket up at the top. thanks for pointing that out.

Interesting note from that article regarding the bonus points:

Bonus Time

We know there is a bonus component to the criteria, the NCAA's tweak to the system which rewards "good" nonconference wins.

Without official word on the size of the bonuses, we take these numbers: .003 for a good road win, .002 for a good neutral win and .001 for a good home win.

Does anything change? Absolutely.

North Dakota moves all the way up to No. 9 from No. 14, all by its lonesome. That pushes UNH, UML, Cornell and Ohio State down one spot in the seedings.

Interesting note from that article regarding the bonus points:

Bonus Time

We know there is a bonus component to the criteria, the NCAA's tweak to the system which rewards "good" nonconference wins.

Without official word on the size of the bonuses, we take these numbers: .003 for a good road win, .002 for a good neutral win and .001 for a good home win.

Does anything change? Absolutely.

North Dakota moves all the way up to No. 9 from No. 14, all by its lonesome. That pushes UNH, UML, Cornell and Ohio State down one spot in the seedings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow. With that in mind, how does that fare for us the rest of the season? Aren't the majority of our games at home? Short term it looks nice, but long term, it may equalize. Especially if UW or DU comes to the Ralph and wins.

Wow. With that in mind, how does that fare for us the rest of the season? Aren't the majority of our games at home? Short term it looks nice, but long term, it may equalize. Especially if UW or DU comes to the Ralph and wins.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The bonuses are for non-conference wins against teams in the top 15 rpi. Maine just slipped into the number 15 spot, giving the Sioux 2 quality road wins. Those disappear if Maine slips down a notch.

Somehow Wisco dropped to 14 (one or more of the Tuesday night games?) and is a point behind the Sioux now. Ohio State tied with the Sioux at 12. Or maybe the Sioux gained a point somewhere to move to tied for 12th.

Appears that a couple of mid-week games flipped several comparisons. Guess that's why the bracketology is not too important at this point.