SiouxSports.com Forum

Restructuring Football

The Sicatoka

IAA has an image crisis and is veiwed as being D2 some people.

Okay...that's "V-I-E-W-E-D" and "BY some people" (whew...'su needs to upgrade their standards for student entrance as the ONLY di COLLEGE in ND :D ) Speaking through your interpretor, I assume "some people" would be the big guns of DI Football of which YOU are not one...there should be a reclassification process because schools banking their entire futures on di-aa football are not TRUE BIG TIME DI caliber schools!!! (sorry :D )

Sioux me Now- This is a message board whats with the spelling and grammar lesson. It's what you say not how you say it. Now back to some more related news, the Sioux Falls Argus printed an article a few day ago about scholarship cuts and some of the changes that could result from them.Link

I think that scholarships are going to get cut eventually, and then the question will be if the D2 elites(UND, GVSU, Pitt, NMSU, and TAMUK schools like that) would stay in D2 or flee to D1 and IAA. Would a cut of 4 or 6 be enough to push UND out of D2? And then if a large mass of D2 schools go D1 will the NCAA even let them into an already full D1? Highly unlikely. So the NCAA will either have to go through some kind of reclassifaction or will they just make these teams suffer with lower scholarships in D2? I don't think the IAA schools would ever go for Thomas's plan regarding merging D2 and IAA for football. The only way I could see that happening is if the D2 schools were forced to have 63 scholarships, no reductions(which would make it hard to conform to title 9). If the scholarships would have to be cut IAA would lose it's upper half conferences to D1A and the BCS presidents don't want to water down D1A anymore so that plan just will never work. What D2 needs to do is create a D2A(40-25) and D2AA(24-0) either that or the NCAA is going to have add another division and fill it with D2 bottom feeders and NAIA. schools.

Instead of "caps" (maximums), would "floors" (minimums) on scholarships solve the problem?

As far as divisions, I see the NCAA eliminating a division before it would create one, or even a new sub-category within one. Divisions mean championships and championships cost money: Fewer divisions, fewer championships to sponsor, more money for the NCAA.

Instead of "caps" (maximums), would "floors" (minimums) on scholarships solve the problem?

As far as divisions, I see the NCAA eliminating a division before it would create one, or even a new sub-category within one. Divisions mean championships and championships cost money: Fewer divisions, fewer championships to sponsor, more money for the NCAA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you would still have the issue of the "have-nots" trying to drag the floors down, instead of the ceilings.

There are schools that are capable of competing with much fewer grants than what the maximum is, and they might be excluded from the division with a floor introduced. Winona State (approx. 15 grants) and UC-Davis (approx. 5 grants when they were DII) are two examples.