SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's BB

UND Fan

It's good to see that what is apparently going to be a weakness this year--quality depth on the interior--should be a big strength next year. With Boese, Langen, Kimbrough and Ledger rotating inside, that's potentially as much quality depth as I can recall. I would say that players like Glynn and Draayer had better elevate their play this season or they may not get much p.t. next year.

Does anybody know what the deal is with Sannes? Still injured? She was a pretty heralded recruit a couple years ago, although I know she had a very bad knee injury as a sr. in high school. I know it's still quite early, but among the recruiting class of two years ago--Jahner, Sannes, Draayer, Maffin and Werdell--only Jahner has clearly shown that she can play at a high level. I wouldn't think Roebuck would give scholarships to players from states without reciprocity very often due to the higher expense and the fact that there are so many good players in Minnesota, so you would think Maffin (from Iowa) and Werdell (from Illinois) were thought to be potential impact players.

In Draayer's defense, she has had foot problems since day one here...I don't think she hardly even practiced last season. It seems that she was in a walking boot most of the season on the bench. I think she was in crutches again back in early August of this year. She is definitely a wait and see...many times players with these type of problems never develop to their top capabilities.

In Draayer's defense, she has had foot problems since day one here...I don't think she hardly even practiced last season.  It seems that she was in a walking boot most of the season on the bench.  I think she was in crutches again back in early August of this year. She is definitely a wait and see...many times players with these type of problems never develop to their top capabilities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was unaware of her injuries. Thanks for the info.

It's good to see that what is apparently going to be a weakness this year--quality depth on the interior--should be a big strength next year. With Boese, Langen, Kimbrough and Ledger rotating inside, that's potentially as much quality depth as I can recall. I would say that players like Glynn and Draayer had better elevate their play this season or they may not get much p.t. next year.

Does anybody know what the deal is with Sannes? Still injured? She was a pretty heralded recruit a couple years ago, although I know she had a very bad knee injury as a sr. in high school. I know it's still quite early, but among the recruiting class of two years ago--Jahner, Sannes, Draayer, Maffin and Werdell--only Jahner has clearly shown that she can play at a high level. I wouldn't think Roebuck would give scholarships to players from states without reciprocity very often due to the higher expense and the fact that there are so many good players in Minnesota, so you would think Maffin (from Iowa) and Werdell (from Illinois) were thought to be potential impact players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that Kimbrough and Ledger will be a great asset to the UND team however in Draayer and Maffin defense both were injured ealy season last year and Maffin is still playing with an injured ankle. Let's wait and see what Kimbrouh and Ledger can bring to this level play. Giving her the status of saving UND this early is unrealistic. I don't think coach would have given scholarships to any player ( including Sannes) who didn't deserve it. Don't write these girls off quite so quickly simply because they are from different states. They may be very helpful in making this team the number one team they have the potential to be this year. :lol:

I agree that Kimbrough and Ledger will be a great asset to the UND team however in Draayer and Maffin defense both were injured ealy season last year and Maffin is still playing with an injured ankle. Let's wait and see what Kimbrouh and Ledger can bring to this level play. Giving her the status of saving UND this early is unrealistic. I don't think coach would have given scholarships to any player ( including Sannes) who didn't deserve it. Don't write these girls off quite so quickly simply because they are from different states. They may be very helpful in making this team the number one team they have the potential to be this year. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't mean to suggest that I'm writing anyone off. However, having followed UND women's basketball since Roebuck got here, it seems as though that in the vast majority of cases, the players who ended up being starters or at least meaningful contributors were playing extensively by their second year in the program, and in most cases in their first year. That's why I get concerned when players are still deep reserves in their second year (regardless of whether they red-shirted or not). If it's due to injury, then they should be cut some slack. But with new talent coming in every year, it generally doesn't get any easier to break into the lineup as time goes on. I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb by speculating that at least in the case of Kimbrough, she'll easily be playing significant minutes immediately, just as Langen, Boese, Boll, Crouse, Winger, etc. have done.

Regarding the whole out-of-area issue, it's just a dollars and cents thing. Since a scholarship for somebody from Iowa or Illinois is far more expensive than one for somebody from ND or MN, and especially when there is such an abundance of quality girls basketball players in MN, a program like UND should probably be selective when recruiting these out-of-area players. IMO, if an out-of-area player is not going to make an impact on the court fairly early on, then it probably doesn't make much sense to sign them. With that said, I very much hope that Maffin and Werdell can be impact players at some point.

You guys have signed a great recruiting class. We finally have something to be excited about at UNO as far as womens basketball is concerned. Our coach came from Fort Lewis, her team played you tough in the regional tournament. The mavs will be much more disciplined and better coached. What remains to be seen is how well she recruits. We are precicted to finsish last. I will say fifth. I would love to see the new betty. Just curious, any of you going to miss hyslop. I saw a UNO-UND game there and i loved it.

UNO Rules

It looks like depth is going to be a problem for the women this year, particularly on the interior. Boese and Langen will be tough inside, although Langen needs to cut down on the fouls. But Glynn is just not strong enough to do much inside, and neither Draayer nor Sannes are apparently ready to contribute as neither played at all tonight. I think the Sioux may have a few more losses this year than we are accustomed to seeing, particularly on the road, but hopefully the younger players will progress as the year goes along, and by next season we should be back to being a serious national championship contender. Hopefully we can win all the home games and go about 4-2 on the road in the NCC, which will probably be enough to win the league.

It appears that Ledger is also the "real deal".  A tremendous athlete who will contribute right away.  I used to play ball against her dad.  He was a big, talented guy.  I wonder if he has any other younger kids.  I am sure they will all be studs or "studesses"!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any idea why 6'2" Rebecca Kielpinski of defending champ Mandan was not recruited? If Kimbrough had not been signed, wouldn't she have been an option? Apparently, NDSU was after her, as well as other NCC schools. She signed with Alaska-Anchorage.

As a side note, defending D-II champ and preseason #1 California (PA) apparently thought they played NDSU, not SDSU, in last years Elite Eight: National Champs Seek Second Title This year, their coach doesn't believe thy'll be nearly as dominant.