SiouxSports.com Forum

Season Assessment So Far

Stack

When I looked at our early schedule before the season started my first thought was that I would be happy if we were sitting at .500 after the Wisconsin series. We are now 5-3-2 and look who we have played so far:

Maine away: Picked as a top 2 team before season started. (won 2)

Mankato away: Mankato always gives us fits (3 points)

Minnesota at home: In top 10 and toughest rival (split)

BC away: in top 3 (loss)

Northeastern away: beat Michigan earlier (tie)

Colorado College at home: undefeated and picked to finish in top 3 of WCHA( split)

So we've played 10 games and 6 have been away. Four of the six teams we've played are in the top 10 in the country. We now have to go to Wisconsin who is again in the top 10 in the country. Of all the games we've played the only one that I expected to win and we didn't was Northeastern and we still tied.

With Parise and Bochenski leaving plus Hakstol as the new head coach this team had a lot of adjustments to make.

So here we are after 10 games and I'm feeling OK. It bothers me that we've been outshot a number of games but I feel that this is mainly because of the new penalty calling practice. It's tough to outshoot your opponent when he has three or four 5 on 3s during the game.

So we have 12 games before Xmas. I'm predicting that we go 9-3 or 8-4 the rest of this calendar year. I'd be happy with that too since we play Wisconsin and Duluth on the road.

Thoughts?

Two weeks ago I don't think it was so much the record that caused concern as it was the seemingly pathetic performance on both offense and defense. I believe they are well on their way to righting the ship in that regard, and they now look like a team that will be competitive most of the time. I think the league is so tough that 8-4 for the next twelve will be tough to accomplish, especially if Murray is out for a lot of that.

Given how strong the team looked on paper (pre-season) and at Maine, I was very disappointed with the next few weeks. Especially the Saturday game vs. UM. That was horrible.

However, the CC series looked good. I thought they deserved to win both games. The puck control is coming around, and UND has consequently re-established its forecheck. Even on the PP, the team is moving the puck much better. They will be getting more shots on the PP soon, IMO. Now, if the boys can just finish a few more chances, this team has what it takes to go far.

Given how strong the team looked on paper (pre-season) and at Maine, I was very disappointed with the next few weeks.  Especially the Saturday game vs. UM.  That was horrible.

However, the CC series looked good.  I thought they deserved to win both games.  The puck control is coming around, and UND has consequently re-established its forecheck.  Even on the PP, the team is moving the puck much better. They will be getting more shots on the PP soon, IMO.  Now, if the boys can just finish a few more chances, this team has what it takes to go far.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The most disappointing, disgusting part of the team is the consistent ability to take a stupid, two-handed, cross check to someone's back. I bet Greene leads the WORLD in those and often does it when we are already down one man.

If that lack of discipline continues, she's going to be a long season.

Lamoureaux is in as the goalie and that's a MAJOR PLUS now.