SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Jones

DanHFboards

Early on, but for those that have seen him, how is he playing?  I know he is not happy with that -1 beside his name.  Can't remember the last time I saw that, granted five games in.  Is he paired with Greene?  Seeing a lot of ice in all situations?  Thanks for any comments.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its still early but I think he has played pretty solid in my book.

From where we have watched and paid attention, he is typically paired with Greene and, like last year, they are, or will again become, the dominant defensive pairing in all of college hockey. The -1 is a bit tough to explain. Hard to go in positive numbers when your team is scoring but a few goals a game.

Matt is solid, and will be fine. Watching him control the defensive zone is much akin to watching a skilled bartender mix a quality martini.

The problems of the team (at least against Minnesota, I didn't see the Mankato games) probably stems from the forwards not coming back and not having good defensive positioning in the first place (get between the opponent and your goal and the puck). The "new way" the rules are being enforced may have some bearing on how the players are playing without the puck right now, but they'd better start adjusting soon or they will find themselves in a season of playing "catch up" to the teams that do adjust.

Here is what I stated a couple of days ago in a different thread:

If your forwards are coming back hard in the neutral zone, your defensemen can "stand up" at their own blue line against oncoming puckcarriers. The gaps I saw between the Gophers puck carriers and the Sioux defensemen were about one half of a zone, way too much space. Once the Gophers got into our zone, the defensemen were at the tops of the faceoff circles by the net. too much time and space to give to anybody. This all breaks down from where the third Sioux forward is in the offensive zone. If he is high in the slot, he is not only in good position to receive a pass and take a shot on goal, but he is in excellent defensive postition to backcheck (and not on the puck carrier) to help out the D-men so they can "hold the line." Saturday's debacle was a team effort, although I find little fault with the goal tending, that were pretty much hung out to dry all night.

Hey, remember, even the best teams have an "off night" once in a while. Hak and his staff know how to correct the problem of the team. Give them a chance to regroup and come out smoking vs BC on Friday. Remember, the team is 4-1-1. Not too shabby.

Early on, but for those that have seen him, how is he playing?  I know he is not happy with that -1 beside his name.  Can't remember the last time I saw that, granted five games in.  Is he paired with Greene?  Seeing a lot of ice in all situations?  Thanks for any comments.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He's spent a lot of time on the PK, Greene has spent a lot of time in the box, so the pairings haven't been consistent. The-1 is nothing to worry about at this point, it seems like most of the goals scored for and against have been PP goals, so not a lot of +/- points given out. It appears the D-men have been having problems adjusting to the "new" rules (rather new enforcement of old rules). IMO AS and MS have played the best. Greene and Jones have spent a lot of time in the box, or trying to figure out what they can get away with.

This weekend will be a whole new set up rules with HE refs :0

I agree about MS (Matt Smaby).  He's really doing well.  I am happy that I had faith in him last season because now he's showing what his potential really is.  And he's only going to get better.  I see his role as being another Matt Greene type, because I'm not so positive Greene will be back for his senior year if the NHL still exists in April.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the powers that be in the NHL dislodge their heads from their you-know-whats and there is a season next year, there is very little chance MG will be back. Obviously, the game is not suited to his style of play (I don't say that as a negative against him). Why continue to play college hockey when everything you do leads to the penalty box and most of the same things wouldn't elicit a second look from NHL refs.