SiouxSports.com Forum

Ducktober... Game on...

Goon

Just a little not to let all you guys and gals that like to hunts ducks and waterfowl.

The big ducks from up north are starting to make their way down to ND.

I have been out this week and the action is starting to pick up.

This season has been pretty tough because it has been nice. If I would have put golf clubs in my Blazer it would be raining. Its been really nice. I think the weather is starting to turn in favor of the hunters. The weather has not good for Ducks and Geese. Finally, today is perfect, wind from the south and raining.

40 degrees.

Cheers and good Luck hunting. By the way don't believe the people that think there is too much hunting pressure, contrary to public belief there is not enough pressure as of yet to keep them moving. :blush:;)

Just a little not to let all you guys and gals that like to hunts ducks and waterfowl.

The big ducks from up north are starting to make their way down to ND.

I have been out this week and the action is starting to pick up.

This season has been pretty tough because it has been nice. If I would have put golf clubs in my Blazer it would be raining. Its been really nice. I think the weather is starting to turn in favor of the hunters. The weather has not good for Ducks and Geese. Finally, today is perfect, wind from the south and raining.

40 degrees.

Cheers and good Luck hunting. By the way don't believe the people that think there is too much hunting pressure, contrary to public belief there is not enough pressure as of yet to keep them moving.  :blush:  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did it this morning, NW winds at 20+, but, unfortunately, clear skies. NW sides of pond in morning light makes for no ID, can't tell what's coming at you. Stiill waiting.

I don't know if bears and bear hunting is controversial out in North Dakota,but here in New Jersey it is really turning out to be a big deal. Last year was the first year in decades that bear hunting was allowed by the state. Hundreds of people jammed the streets of Trenton, the state capital, on behalf of both sides. The state is leaning to not have one this year, but I don't think a final decision has been made yet. To show you how crazy it is getting, you might want to read this article---

www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1097647880103290.xml?nmr

I don't know if bears and bear hunting is controversial out in North Dakota,but here in New Jersey it is really turning out to be a big deal. Last year was the first year in decades that bear hunting was allowed by the state. Hundreds of people jammed the streets of Trenton, the state capital, on behalf of both sides. The state is leaning to not have one this year, but I don't think a final decision has been made yet. To show you how crazy it is getting, you might want to read this article---

www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1097647880103290.xml?nmr

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe someone else thats lived here all their life can tell you that, but I am not aware of any bear season in ND. I am not too sure we have many of them anyways.

I hate to make this a political debate, however, this is one of the reason I joined the NRA, Pheasants Forever, Duck Unlimited and vote Republican. I can't trust the leftist with my rights to hunt and my right to own a fire arm. Chuckie Schummer, Hillar Clinton, Ted Kennedy, John Kerry will take you gun rights away if you let them.

Although I am not even remotely interested in bear hunting I am for the rights of others to hunt bears. its a slippery slope, think about it if lose your right for bear hunting, whats next? Pheasant and duck hunting, they could be. Thats why I am hoping that ND does a constitutional ammendment like Minnesota did. The Great State of Minnesota (one of the most Liberal in the Union) passed a constitutional ammendment making it your right to hunt and fish. If your interested in keeping your right to hunt, fight the good fight.

In closing if your don't manage the bear herd your going to have problems of over population. I think that was the reason for wanting bear hunting.

No bear hunting in ND, probably the only area a bear might be found is in the Turtle Mountains of northcentral ND, as parkland bears from Manitoba occasionally make it there.

Although historically bears roamed the prairies of ND, they have been mostly gone from here for some time, would guess from awhile before there were organized hunting seasons.

No bear hunting in ND, probably the only area a bear might be found is in the Turtle Mountains of northcentral ND, as parkland bears from Manitoba occasionally make it there.

Although historically bears roamed the prairies of ND, they have been mostly gone from here for some time, would guess from awhile before there were organized hunting seasons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There may be sightings along the ND/MN/MB border also but that is about it. Bears live in the forest, ND doesn't have any trees ;)

Black bear are plentiful in MN though, my cousin was lucky enough to get a tag a few years ago. My Grandpa got a Brown (Grizzly) tag in MT about 5 years ago. I never realized the size difference between the Brown and Black until I saw the one he bagged, a 750lb male. They get even bigger up in Alaska and Western CA.

I didn't realize you could even hunt in NJ - I thought the entire state was just a big industrial dump :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am fine with there not being bears in ND. Can you imagine sitting in your blind and having a bear swim by. I can do with out that...

Hi jloos,

A lot of people still have the idea that New Jersey is a state full of factories and smoke stacks. There are hardly any left. They all started leaving the state for the South or foreign nations in the late sixties and seventies. There are still some toxic sites that have not been cleaned up,but not many.New Jersey is a big corporate headquarters/regional office area. While we have way too many people, there are some beautiful areas of the state such as the one I live in near an area called the Delaware Water Gap.About half of our local counties are preserved as federal or state parks. We have TONS of dear,heron,beavers, a few eagles,fox,coyotes,and this year alone I have seen four bear. I hike and kayak a lot and when you see a bear you just back up slowly until it leaves the trail(this year I was about fifteen yards from one). The rangers say to NEVER run away from one because that will alarm them and they can run a lot faster than a person.---Can you tell me what North Dakota is like? I know there are some prairies and one of the guys mentioned not many trees, but are there big/small mountains,lakes,rivers,desert areas,etc.?

Thank you very much clayton hoyt. Much more varied regions than I would have expected. The little missouri state park area looked great and I NEVER would have associated North Dakota with pelicans. One of these I need to get past my farthest trip to the Wild West which so far has been as far West as Dayton. Thanks again--hope you all are making sure your scenic areas don't end up with worthless(wal)-marts and condos.