SiouxSports.com Forum

Manitoba Oct 2

redwing77

Well, it's nearly Tuesday and Saturday is coming up!

I found some interesting facts about the University of Manitoba. First, they are the Bison!

Here is the Bison's Roster

Some things of note:

1. There are 10 players with Major Junior Experience

2. There are 4 players with ECHL experience

3. There are 7 players who have been, at one time, drafted by the NHL. Most are 7th rounders or later, but a defenseman (Cameron) was a 3rd round pick of the Penguins in 1998 (+/- 1 year) and their starting goaltender (Cruz) was a former 2nd round draft pick of the Capitals.

4. There is a player, Gidney, who played for 2 seasons for Northern Michigan and a backup goalie who played for Iona.

There are others on their main site that are not listed on their roster. There is also one other who went to Maple Leaf Rookie camp whose status is unknown on the website as well.

Other things of note:

They are playing a game on Oct. 24th in Thief River against Bemidji State.

Yes, before you rib me, I'm doing this because:

A. I'm excited for any hockey game, Sioux especially

B. I'm just that bored.

They are the Bison? Wow, I certainly didn't know that seeing as UND has played them for about 10 straight years now. :D

Also I think I remember Cruz being pretty good last year. HE held UND in check it seemed like or at least wasn't lit up like a christmas tree/Michigan Tech goalie.

Well, it's nearly Tuesday and Saturday is coming up!

I found some interesting facts about the University of Manitoba.  First, they are the Bison! 

Here is the Bison's Roster

Some things of note: 

1.  There are 10 players with Major Junior Experience

2.  There are 4 players with ECHL experience

3.  There are 7 players who have been, at one time, drafted by the NHL.  Most are 7th rounders or later, but a defenseman (Cameron) was a 3rd round pick of the Penguins in 1998 (+/- 1 year) and their starting goaltender (Cruz) was a former 2nd round draft pick of the Capitals.

4.  There is a player, Gidney, who played for 2 seasons for Northern Michigan and a backup goalie who played for Iona.

There are others on their main site that are not listed on their roster.  There is also one other who went to Maple Leaf Rookie camp whose status is unknown on the website as well.

Other things of note:

They are playing a game on Oct. 24th in Thief River against Bemidji State.

Yes, before you rib me, I'm doing this because:

A.  I'm excited for any hockey game, Sioux especially

B.  I'm just that bored.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are a bunch of 25 year old Canadians! :D:D

ONe worry, as always with these early exhibitions vs. Canadian colleges. The Bison, no doubt, have some guys that will want to drop the gloves and fight at some point in the game. A major waste if the Sioux lose anyone for the Maine series. Would guess that even Eades will be trying to keep the Sioux from getting a DQ in this game.

ONe worry, as always with these early exhibitions vs. Canadian colleges. The Bison, no doubt, have some guys that will want to drop the gloves and fight at some point in the game. A major waste if the Sioux lose anyone for the Maine series. Would guess that even Eades will be trying to keep the Sioux from getting a DQ in this game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't like the fact that this is going to be their 4th game and the Sioux have yet to have an organized practice. I'm thinking this could be a very sloppy game, although the Sioux should be able to win on talent.

Didn't Andy S beat the living crap out of a Manitoba player 2 years ago?

The reason that some of the players like Jordan Little aren't on the roster, is that, the roster linked is the 2003-2004. I go to the U of M and I believe the Bison's don't have there final roster yet, as of today, because there's still cuts to be made. At least that's what I've heard from some of the players. The teams been essentially practicing on ice since the beginning of September though, possibly a bit longer.

They are the Bison?  Wow, I certainly didn't know that seeing as UND has played them for about 10 straight years now.  :D

Also I think I remember Cruz being pretty good last year.  HE held UND in check it seemed like or at least wasn't lit up like a christmas tree/Michigan Tech goalie.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually... I thought last year we played Concordia of Quebec?

:D

But I do understand the frequency we have played them in the past.

Since this is an exhibition game I'm assuming no signs will be made . . . thanks in advance to all the usual suspects for their funny and creative work, in addition, thanks to those who display the signs. . . although it seems like the student seating situation may adversely affect the placement of the signs.

By the way, Matt Greene was named cheerful person of the week by Marilyn Haggerty . . . that'd make a good sign.

Fight on Sioux.

Since this is an exhibition game I'm assuming no signs will be made . . . thanks in advance to all the usual suspects for their funny and creative work, in addition, thanks to those who display the signs. . .  although it seems like the student seating situation may adversely affect the placement of the signs.

By the way, Matt Greene was named cheerful person of the week by Marilyn Haggerty . . .  that'd make a good sign.

Fight on Sioux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why hold signs if you're just going to be in the upper deck anyways? Can people even see a sign up there well enough to read it?

can't wait for the game.................sioux hockey is back!!!!!!!! brought out my dvd collection of the championship games that the sioux have won the other night and watched the 2000 game vs BC. ready to go.......go sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard that Pirp might be out for 4-6 weeks with a shoulder injury that he sustained in a freak squating accident in the weight room. I was talking to jake "the snake" brandt in the union and he was the one that informed me of this. i just tell it like i hear it. :)

I heard that Pirp might be out for 4-6 weeks with a shoulder injury that he sustained in a freak squating accident in the weight room.  I was talking to jake "the snake" brandt in the union and he was the one that informed me of this.  i just tell it like i hear it. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That just means one of the new guys will get to show what they are made of, this teams has so much depth I'm not worried.