SiouxSports.com Forum

The sound you hear is...

Goon

Good World Cup? I attended the games, sprig, and can honestly tell you that I'm so disappointed with the lack of knowledge about hockey in general. The World Cup was so well-known around St Paul that as I was walking to a game last week, not one, but two different people asked me who the Wild were playing that night. The Twins are 10 1/2 games up in the division and every single TV at Tom Reid's was on that game instead of the hockey game. I guess it's just time to realize that expansion was a failure and hockey is truly Canada's game. 20,000 fans came out to watch the Lightning Stanley Cup parade. 50,000 turned out in Calgary to welcome the Flames home. Enuff said.

Its not looking good.

(AP) Bob Goodenow, president of the NHL Players Association, listens to a question at a news conference...

Stop the Puck! NHL Locks Out Players

Sep 15, 7:05 PM (ET) Email this Story

By RONALD BLUM

NEW YORK (AP) - The National Hockey League is locking out its players starting Thursday, threatening to keep the sport off the ice for the entire 2004-05 season and perhaps beyond in an effort by management to gain massive change in the sport's economic structure.

After the long-expected decision was approved unanimously Wednesday by NHL owners, commissioner Gary Bettman repeatedly belittled the union's bargaining position, talked about the possibility the confrontation could extend into the 2005-06 season and said the conflict has jeopardized the NHL's participation in the 2006 Winter Olympics.

"If there's enough time to play some games, we'll do it," he said of this season, "and if there's not, we won't."

Bettman called it a "bleak day," claimed teams had combined to lose more than $1.8 billion over 10 years and cited bankruptcy filings by teams in Buffalo, Los Angeles, Ottawa and Pittsburgh. He said management will not agree to a labor deal that doesn't include a defined relationship between revenue and salaries.

"Until he gets off the salary-cap issue, there's not a chance for us to get an agreement," union head Bob Goodenow said in Toronto, adding that players "are not prepared to entertain a salary cap in any way, shape, measure or form."

Far apart on both philosophy and finances, the side haven't bargained since last Thursday and say they are entrenched for the long run, echoing words of baseball players and owners at the start of their disastrous 7