SiouxSports.com Forum

DI vs Major Junior

airmail

Many times it has been posted that Major Junior is the "fast-track" to the NHL. Yet with some of the talent we've seen in college hockey recently, is this changing? Does MJ have that much more talent than the upper tier NCAA teams?

I'm not very familiar with MJ hockey, and I'm hoping someone can explain. Thanks. ;)

Many times it has been posted that Major Junior is the "fast-track" to the NHL. Yet with some of the talent we've seen in college hockey recently, is this changing? Does MJ have that much more talent than the upper tier NCAA teams?

I'm not very familiar with MJ hockey, and I'm hoping someone can explain. Thanks. ;)

The biggest difference - MJ players get paid and play at least 2X more games in a more NHL style setting. I think more kids realize that getting an education to fall back on is a good idea, now that college is producing more NHL players it is hard to say it hurts their chances. Still a player like Crosby that is a lock at playing in the NHL when he's 18 or 19 is better off in MJ's.

A number of MJ players also attend, or have attended, college while they play. As well, most MJ players are probably better educated in the Canadian school system than most US players coming out of public schools.

I think most NHL scouts are more familiar with MJ teams and their players, so these guys tend to get more exposure around the Draft. That said, I think MJ more closely follows the NHL model for speed, physicality and length of the season. All things being equal, I think the average MJ player has a better chance of going pro, either in the Draft or as a free agent, than the average college player.

As well, most MJ players are probably better educated in the Canadian school system than most US players coming out of public schools.

ScottM - just curious - what are you basing this on? I think most US players are coming from states with pretty strong public schools (not many are coming from Arkansas, Mississippi, or the inner-city schools of a large urban center).

A number of MJ players also attend, or have attended, college while they play. As well, most MJ players are probably better educated in the Canadian school system than most US players coming out of public schools.

Why is the Canadian school system so much better?