SiouxSports.com Forum

University of Iowa won't play "Braves"

mksioux

The University of Iowa baseball team cancelled a non-conference baseball game with Bradley University because Bradely's nickname is the "Braves." The UI policy against playing teams with Indian nicknames applies only to non-conference opponents and is not always followed.

Bradley is considering changing it's nickname:

The issue of using American Indian names as mascots or nicknames has sparked much recent debate. Bradley University President David Broski announced last week that Bradley's nickname would remain for at least three to five years.

According to the campus paper, the Bradley Scout, Broski's decision came in response to a Student Senate resolution passed in April in favor of finding a new mascot. The resolution passed in the wake of an overwhelming student vote not to change the Braves' name.

I love it when elected representatives think they know better than the people they represent. These student senators are training well to become typical ivory-tower elitist liberals.

One thing that annoyed me about the story is that the writer constantly confuses "mascot" with "nickname." Bradley dropped its mascot in 1989, but the writer refers to the policy prohibiting non-conference games against school with Indian "mascots."

The UI policy against playing teams with Indian nicknames applies only to non-conference opponents and is not always followed.

I believe Minnesota and Wisconsin have similar policies (and follow them similarly to Iowa, meaning not always following it).

Whats the point of a policy if you can do what ever you want anyway?

I deal with the same thing is the state where I teach. Classes are supposed to be capped at 30 students, but if your district files a waiver with the state your class sizes can be whatever the district wants. So I teach classes of 40, whats the point. Same thing goes for the school calendars, the school year is mandated by law to run between Aug 30th and May 30th. The districts file a waiver and I start my year and the end of July and it goes through the end of May. Whats the point in having the law if nobody is held to it.

Whats the point of a policy if you can do what ever you want anyway?

The "out clause" in the policy has to be there. It's one thing to say you won't play the Bradley Braves in a regular season baseball game. It's entirely different to say you won't play the Florida St. Seminoles in the Fiesta Bowl or the Utah Utes in the NCAA basketball tournament. It's funny how the almighty dollar can make someone forget about their "principles". :D

The "out clause" in the policy has to be there. It's one thing to say you won't play the Bradley Braves in a regular season baseball game. It's entirely different to say you won't play the Florida St. Seminoles in the Fiesta Bowl or the Utah Utes in the NCAA basketball tournament. It's funny how the almighty dollar can make someone forget about their "principles". :D

What your saying makes sense, but if thats the case they shouldn't have the policy or law in the first place. It makes the institution look bad, and in my case the state of Texas look bad! Don't make the policy if you are not willing to stick to it! It seems they trying to make a big statement, but will not back it up.