SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (4-10, 0-3) @ MSU (10-6, 3-0) 1/6 3 PM

SWSiouxMN

The less we can discuss about the Griz game the better but it appeared that the team didn't even bother to leave Grand Forks and took an absolute drumming by the Griz.  It doesn't get any better as they look to get their first win in conference play as they take on a very confident Bobcats team.

This Cats team last year was your typical 1 year away team under the leadership of Brian Fish.  They had some flashes but ended the season disappointed with a Day 1 loss to SUU. This year, with potential Big Sky POY in Tyler Hall and a solid crew of returnees led by H. Frey and a eligible USM transfer have the Cats thinking big things this year.

Series Record:  Since UND joined the Big Sky, they had led the series 6-3, including a impressive 4-1 record in Bozeman.  Jones record against Fish however is 3-2. 

Key Player: Tyler Hall

His numbers so far this year have been a little "down" from last year but the Junior from Quad Cities has been putting up impressive numbers throughout his Bobcat career.  He can do a little bit of everything and is not afraid of getting 40+ if he has too.  This guy at the very least is going to have a nice career in Europe, but I am sure he will be thinking about NBA when it is all said and done.

Other games:

UNC (2-1) @ Griz (3-0)

The Griz absolutely took it to UND, while the Bears had a 12 point set back against the Cats.  This will be another good matchup between two hopefuls, UNC is looking to add another statement win, while the Griz are looking to hold serve.  

NAU (0-3) @ ISU (2-0)

Don't look now, but the Bengals have a pretty good shot of getting to 3-0.  They took care of business with a 15 point win against SUU and NAU had a pretty forgettable game against Weber.  We will get a better idea of where ISU stands next week when they head out to UNC and UND, but ISU could very well double their win total at the very least when it is all said and done.

PSU (0-2) @ Idaho (2-1)

Idaho held off a very pesky Sac State teams while PSU dropped a decision against EWU.  That great start in non-conference by the Vikings is starting to go by the wayside with an 0-2 start.  They can't afford to go to 0-3.  Vandals are still the favorites but they haven't quite looked like it yet... but it is still early

Sac St (1-1) @ EWU (2-1)

You want good individual matchups well Bordan vs Strings should be a great matchup.  Sac State could very well be 2-0 but couldn't get the job done against Idaho.  Whoever wins this one will be in good shape in the first quarter of the conference campaign.

SUU (0-2) @ Weber (1-1)

Weber got back on track with a big win over NAU while SUU was the old SUU in a 15 point loss in Poky.  If SUU truly want to change their standing they need to start putting up some wins.  They are better, but perhaps not as much as once thought.  Weber needs to defend the home court before a tough road swing to UNC and UND next week.

The Call:

Usually, I would throw up a few keys to the game in my posts.  After the events of Thursday, its basically a message:  If you want to do something this year, it needs to start today.  I don't care what Jones says, you didn't bother to show up against the Griz.  You have 15 games to figure this out.  This team needs to put together a consistent effort from its starters and Tray needs to continue to emerge as a bench threat. For the game itself, they better not come out flat again.  The time for talking is over from the coaches and the players.  It is time to start putting those words into actions. 

Now with that out of the way, this will be a tough matchup but as NAU showed they can be pushed.  I expect this to be a much closer game than the Griz (at least I hope it would) and UND finally starts to show signs of having a bench scorer as Tray has another decent game.  I'm still taking the Cats in a close one

Cats 88-83

Other games:

Give me Weber, Griz, EWU, Idaho, and ISU 

Ran zone offense better in the first 12 minutes than the last 8, got into a bad habit of starting their offense too late and shot clock awareness was not present.  They need to be quicker in their movements and a little quicker on their passes.  Get back to what they were doing to start the game