SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Hockey Fans/ Hockey

killer4president

Ok, first of all I'm a Gopher fan, so some people probably won't even read this. I understand that, cause when I see things posted from other fans(UND, UMD, ect.) on POI, I usually start to read it but it turns into them talking about how they hate the Gophers. This isn't a post about the Gophers, its about the WCHA hockey fans and hockey teams in general. First of all the WCHA gets the shaft!!! Let me explain, we are basically seen as NOBODYS to the eastern schools. Case in point, if you watched the NCCA selection show. Who did they talk about the most? Western schools? I think not. The recent espn.com picks to win the tournament this year, yeah most picked the top seeds to make it to the frozen four, but I think only 2 out of the 6 picked the sioux or the gophs. I mean I like being an underdog, but how can you be an underdog, when you are the no.1 overall seed? I mean most picked BC to win it. Don't get me wrong, BC is a very good team, I actually pay a lot of attention to the east schools in hockey. Granted hockey is the only sport I pay attention to on the east coast, other than hockey the east coast doesn't even exist to me. But, come on. BC is struggling, they finished 4th in the final poll, lost to rival BU at home. I can understand if some of the people to pick Maine to win it, they at least play a defensive style of hockey, they have a good goalie(which I think is just a little overrated, but still very good). I mean as much as I hate UMD and they are in the Midwest regional with the Gophs, they are a good team, they are a little banged up right now but they are a team to watch out for. Ok, enough of my NCAA tournament picks. Next, fans!!! I mean, i used to have a lot of respect for WCHA fans, I think we have the best fans in college hockey. We know our hockey!!! But, I have lost a little respect for some fans, and its sad that a few had to ruin that. Case in point.. last Friday UMN vs. UMD. I was litterally surrounded by ND and UMD fans, which I actually kind of enjoyed! Anyways, this UMD guy behind us obviously noticed that my buddy and I were the only gopher fans within about 40 feet of him so he decides he wants to rag on us. Perfectly acceptable. I was cool with it. GO for it, cheer for your team, you have the right. UMD, jumpson MN. SO this guy is just going nuts, just trying to get a rise out of us, didnt work. I have to much class. Anyways, this guy starts to get frustrated when the gophers start to take over. Understandable, but hey that doesnt mean you get mad when we cheer for our team. This guy starts screaming at us to sit down we we scored. Finally, the Gophers basically put it away, this guy pushes me in my back to sit down, we just scored for CS. Then he pushes my buddy. Then he has the nerve to kick me in my back, I basically almost fall into the row in front of me. I still have 2 bruises on my shins from hitting the seats in front of me. So, finally I'm pissed off so I turn around and tell the guy not to touch me, he screams at me about standing when my team scores? So, when I'm telling this guy not to touch me this, 60-70 year old man sitting next to me elbows me in the side. UMD fan. I was like whoa why did you just hit me? He said don't you dare yell at him(talking about the guy who was hitting me in my back). So when I'm trying to tell him how this guy was hitting me he starts swearing at me at how I'm disrespectful, then he elbows me again in the leg. He was swearing at me and stuff. I couldn't believe what was happening. SO finally a ND fan starts to yell at this old guy cause he saw everything happen. Lets just say the 2 old men who were sitting next to me weren't there on Saturday. I have a lot of respect for NoDak fans, I got nothing and gave nothing but respect to you while you were down here. I know we "hate" each other, but you have to respect good hockey, and give props to each other. I have come to the conclusion that it is usually some idiots that ruin the reputation of most. WOW that was long. Sorry!!!!

That is a hell of a long post for a Gopher fan. They wouldn't let you post that on POI? Whats the point here? We realize that - and to top it off I'm from out east (Boston specifically) and the only hockey considered in that regional is compliments of the annual Beanpot and it's participants. We KNOW the WCHA have a superior conference. That is all that matters...Just look at the last 10 National Champions to tell you that.

Nice post. I live in Madison, WI so I know all about rude and ignorant fans. :lol:

I'm life long Vikings and Sioux fan (born and raised in Grand Forks, ND). Back in the 97-98 season, I remember the Sioux getting beat by the Badgers (in Madison). As I was leaving, the badger fans were making all sorts of rude comments towards me. One of them pushed me and yelled "go home and have another flood". I lost my cool and it took two of my friends to pull me off the guy.

I just don't understand why enjoying the victory isn't enough for these fans? I'm all for cheering like heck for your team and even some good-natured digs at opposing fans is certainly acceptable. But as to why certain groups of fans have to cross the line...I just don't get it...

Well, as an NDSU grad, I was able to get through the entire post without any trouble I'm a big UND hockey fan. But what was described in that post was fans taking support for their favorite college team too far. Basically, to the physical level, which is uncalled for. Fortunately, a level headed UND fan was there to settle things down.

I love discussing athletics and different players. However, some fans are so hard headed that they can't see that both teams have good players and accomplishments, etc.

Yes, we all can get along! I think there are plenty of people posting here that enjoy a good game. I enjoy that about people. However, some people need to get a larger picture perspective on things, and keep the pushing and kicking to themselves.

Hey Mr. NDSU I too got through it and I am a UND grad. :lol:

As far as the post itself, Killer you may want to look at this link again, four "experts" pick the winner and 4 of them pick the SIOUX, one picked Minny, and one picked BC. I would call that an awful lot of love to the west. You may want to get your facts straight. Trolling maybe? As far as physically pushing another teams fans. Unacceptable.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?page=04frozenpicks

"Experts" huh? Wow, real experts, considering a total of three of those "experts" picked the Gophers to win the title the last two years, wow thats odd. Not a single 1 of those experts picked the Gophers two years ago to win it. That was a better team than last years too. So much for experts!! Maybe they have finally figured things out and picked a western school to win it. I'm not saying a Eastern school isn't going to win it or doesn't have a chance, but deep down I think whoever comes out of the western brackets is going to win it all.