SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU AD in some trouble....

legend334

SDSU athletic director charged with assault

John-John Williams IV

published: 2/11/2004

The athletic director of South Dakota State University has been charged with assaulting his wife and trying to stop her from calling authorities.

Fred Oien, 54, of Brookings is charged with simple assault and intentional interference with emergency communication, both misdemeanors. He was arrested Jan. 26, said Brookings police Lt. Jeff Miller.

Oien, who appeared in Brookings County Court on Monday, is free on a personal recognizance bond. He was ordered to have no contact with his wife as a condition of his release from jail.

A preliminary hearing is set for March 15, when he is expected to enter a plea.

Mike Reger, SDSU executive vice president for administration, declined to comment on the case.

"That is a personal issue for Dr. Fred Oien," he said. "The university would have no comment on it."

Reger said Oien is still employed at the university. When asked whether Oien has been placed on leave, Reger wouldn't comment.

Police say Oien assaulted his wife, Mary, on Jan. 24 and prevented her from calling police by destroying, disabling or damaging the telephone.

She was not seriously injured, according to court documents.

Miller investigated the incident and forwarded his findings to the Brookings County state's attorney's office, which filed the charges.

Each charge is a Class 1 misdemeanor carrying a maximum punishment of one year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

State's Attorney Clyde Calhoon said he could not discuss details of the case.

Messages left at the Oien residence and on Fred Oien's cellular phone Tuesday were not returned.

Ron Lenz, SDSU sports information director, declined to comment on the case.

"Until it gets done in court, there is nothing anybody can say," Lenz said.

Andrew Palileo, SDSU's head volleyball coach, said he was "not in a good position to make any comment on that subject."

"I believe it is a university decision to not say anything. I know it is with the athletic department," Palileo said.

Lenz and Palileo also wouldn't comment on whether Oien's legal difficulties might affect SDSU's move to Division I. In August, the school decided to promote its 20 athletic programs up a classification in the eyes of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, beginning in the 2004-05 school year.

In 1994, the principal of Roosevelt High School in Sioux Falls was placed on paid administrative leave after he was charged with assaulting his wife.

Robert Perdaems was later named the district's personnel director. His wife was unwilling to proceed with the charge against him, so it was dropped.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made that statement as if I had first hand knowledge of various incidents. I do not - I heard this from a good friend who is one of SDSU's biggest fans and boosters. He, by the way, is not down on Oien - he just said that he has embarrassed the University with his temper.

Yes, I am aware of the Matt Jones incident. I heard about it from 2-3 different sources - all stated that Oien absolutely overreacted.

Please don't get me wrong, although I don't have a real high regard for him due to my perception of him, I am not trying to "throw coal on the fire". I simply stated that he has a bad temper.

Yes, I am aware of the Matt Jones incident.  I heard about it from 2-3 different sources - all stated that Oien absolutely overreacted.

UND Fan,

If you need a 3-4 source, I'd be glad to be that guy. I saw it all, one of the sorriest and most uncalled for scenes I have ever witnessed. To say I felt sorry for Rich is an understatement. Even the SDSU fans still in the building were embaressed and had to pick their jaws off the floor.

I believe the incident was when coach Nagy and the AD accused UND of talking to Matt Jones about coming to UND this year....their coach flipped out over nothing and their AD- did the same....all our coaches were asking him was how he was doing and how his mono was coming along with other injuries...and Nagy said UND was trying to lure him away to come to UND.....true or not.....i dont think so...since he is still at SDSU....why i am not sure...cuz he could come to UND and win a NATTY-----as Schmidty would say.......

was this during the conference tourney or the conference weekend?

Conference weekend. Oien turned a harmless situation in a quiet post-game arena into making a fool of himself in front of a good 100+ people. And he didn't stop after it was done, following the team out of the arena a while after the first altercation and starting to yell some more. R rated language in front of his fans for no reason at all, completely unprovoked by anyone. There were some pretty stupid things said by Oien in front of UND people that no doubt has left a real ugly picture of SDSU in everyone who was there's mind. I've done a terrible job describing it, but larrylegend334 got most of the main details right. It is one of those things you almost don't like talking about because it was so stupid, unnecessary, and unfair to Coach Glas. It would be impossible for me to have an ounce of respect for Oien and his programs after that, no matter what he could possibly do for the rest of his life.

Sounds like the antics after the game was more entertaining than the game. Jones when on the court is probably the best player in the NCC. He might return for the two games in North Dakota this weekend after being out all of last year with Mono and missing 12 games this year with LYMES Disease. I thought this incident took place in the 2002/2003 season?

Sounds like the antics after the game was more entertaining than the game. Jones when on the court is probably the best player in the NCC. He might return for the two games in North Dakota this weekend after being out all of last year with Mono and missing 12 games this year with LYMES Disease. I thought this incident took place in the 2002/2003 season?

The game itself was a pretty darn good one, but the shock value of the after-card made it possibly more exciting then the main event. Yes it was last year.

Glas recruited Jones hard out of HS and it, supposedly, was kind of a coin flip that sent him to SDSU rather than UND. In the recruiting process, Glas got to know the family well. Rich was simply asking Matt how he was doing when Oien started screaming at him from a level above where Rich and Matt were. (Rich actually thought it was some drunk making an ass of himself before realizing that it was Oien.) Everyone still in the gym heard the tirade. It continued as Rich left the building.

Matt's dad and mom were there and very embarrassed for Rich - he apologized profusely as he knew Rich was just showing concern about his son. It would have been ironic if they had been upset enough to transfer elsewhere.

I was not aware of Nagy getting involved. What role did he play?

Probably an overaction, however not a good practice for opposing coaches

to strike up conversations with injured players. As for Jones being able to compete for a National Championship at UND that is debatable. I think if he can return this year SDSU has an excellant chance to win it all in our last season of DII Ball and he understands that!

Not a good practice to strike up a conversation about the health of a kid you really care about!! I really disagree with that -- and so did Jones' parents. They appreciated Rich's concern about their son!

It absolutely would not have been a good practice to do so via telephone or in a secluded hallway at your fieldhouse but having a brief conversation out in the open should not have promptly that kind of childish reaction from either Oien or Nagy!

If Glas had had a history of "tampering" with kids from other schools, that would have been different but that certainly was not the case!

It seems surprising now that UND agreed to play in the holiday tournament in Brookings this year considering the hard feelings I'm sure this incident caused. It makes me wonder if maybe Nagy called Rich to apologize after he talked to Jones and his parents and realized that he and Oien completely overreacted.

Probably an overaction, however not a good practice for opposing coaches

to strike up conversations with injured players. As for Jones being able to compete for a National Championship at UND that is debatable. I think if he can return this year SDSU has an excellant chance to win it all in our last season of DII Ball and he understands that!

I don't think that all that big of a contribution can be expected of him. He has missed what, the last 15 games, 2 months, and his practice time has obviously been minimal. It would be hard to believe if he returned that he would be able to play more then 10 minutes a game for the next 2 weekends, and his strength and stamina would have to be way down. SDSU has disappointment me this year, they should be blowing out every single team they play, going in I thought they had a legit shot at going undefeated. I was told he wouldn't be playing this weekend last night by a Sioux coach.

It seems surprising now that UND agreed to play in the holiday tournament in Brookings this year considering the hard feelings I'm sure this incident caused. It makes me wonder if maybe Nagy called Rich to apologize after he talked to Jones and his parents and realized that he and Oien completely overreacted.

Actually they were committed to go there since at least last Christmas, before the incident occurred. Players wanted to take their "tournament trip" to any place on Earth other then scenic Brookings, coaches wanted to go to Brookings for the games they'd get there, even though it turned out there were no big-name opponents.

Actually they were committed to go there since at least last Christmas, before the incident occurred. Players wanted to take their "tournament trip" to any place on Earth other then scenic Brookings, coaches wanted to go to Brookings for the games they'd get there, even though it turned out there were no big-name opponents.

It seems like the women's team has gone to a lot better places than the men in terms of tournaments or "warm weather" trips over the years. In the past ten years, the women have gone to Hawaii three times, Florida four times, Arizona twice and California once. The men, on the other hand, have been to Hawaii just once, California twice and Arizona once. There have been other trips by the men to places like Washington, Oregon, Kansas and Colorado, but those don't exactly compare to going to Hawaii or Florida in December as far as weather is concerned.

Jack for anyone to stick up for someone who obviously over reacted to the situation makes you no better.....condone that type of behavior is a big problem of what is wrong with our society.....let me ask you this Jack...I have two kids....what would you have told your kids if they had been with you and that situation occurred?:) not a easy situation to be in....or would you have told your kids that this is a normal thing for people to do??? act in this manner?:lol: come on...commons sense needs to prevail here sometime......