SiouxSports.com Forum

New Offensive Scheme

bincitysioux

Lots of talk going on in a couple other threads about the perceived change that will take place in offensive philosophy under Coach Schweigert, so I figured it warranted its own thread.

Was just perusing the final stats for the Big Sky Conference. We were dead last in the league in rushing: 81 yds/game, 2.8 yds/carry. That is atrocious. That needs to change.

I will say this about Coach Mussman, he did a good job of adapting to the talent on the roster. In 2011, he put together a solid season with terrible QB play by adopting the 3 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy. A year later in 2012, we had decent results, at least offensively, throwing it all over the field with two exceptional QBs in Braden Hanson and Marcus Hendrickson.

Problem is, it seems like a coach should have a vision of what he wants for his offense, and entire team, to be. Never really got that feeling with Mussman. Seems like Bubba has been fairly vocal in his short time at the helm that he expects to have a physical, ball control offense, and I assume that is what he will recruit to. Seem like Mussman had the theory to go after the best players possible and hope for the best, regardless of how they would fit into any certain system.

Personally, I like balanced offenses. Have a fullback out there 75% of the time. For God's sake, please utilize the Tight End as a receiver.

I don't think there is anything more demoralizing to a defense than multiple 10 yard runs. If given the choice. I would take a 10 play scoring drive vs. an 80 yard TD pass everyday and twice on Saturday..................

Lots of talk going on in a couple other threads about the perceived change that will take place in offensive philosophy under Coach Schweigert, so I figured it warranted its own thread.

Was just perusing the final stats for the Big Sky Conference. We were dead last in the league in rushing: 81 yds/game, 2.8 yds/carry. That is atrocious. That needs to change.

I will say this about Coach Mussman, he did a good job of adapting to the talent on the roster. In 2011, he put together a solid season with terrible QB play by adopting the 3 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy. A year later in 2012, we had decent results, at least offensively, throwing it all over the field with two exceptional QBs in Braden Hanson and Marcus Hendrickson.

Problem is, it seems like a coach should have a vision of what he wants for his offense, and entire team, to be. Never really got that feeling with Mussman. Seems like Bubba has been fairly vocal in his short time at the helm that he expects to have a physical, ball control offense, and I assume that is what he will recruit to. Seem like Mussman had the theory to go after the best players possible and hope for the best, regardless of how they would fit into any certain system.

Personally, I like balanced offenses. Have a fullback out there 75% of the time. For God's sake, please utilize the Tight End as a receiver.

I don't think there is anything more demoralizing to a defense than multiple 10 yard runs. If given the choice. I would take a 10 play scoring drive vs. an 80 yard TD pass everyday and twice on Saturday..................

I was just reading the interview for the Miami Dolphins new offensive coordinator and he was asked what he learned from all of the head coaches he has worked with. He said the one common theme they had is that every move they made every day was moving the team closer to the vision they had. There was never a move made that wasn't done to help get closer to the goal, that is the big problem and while too early to tell, it is refreshing to hear a coach specifically state what he wants to do.