SiouxSports.com Forum

Rutgers going to The Big Ten !!!

JESUS,family,rutgers

Although not official, it looks like we wil be admitted to the Big Ten on Tuesday. I have waited since the 1970's for this and can barely wait one more day. Now the question is, can I get the Sioux to schedule home hockey games on weekends that we are playing the Gophers in football?

GO FIGHTING SIOUX !!!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS !!!

Although not official, it looks like we wil be admitted to the Big Ten on Tuesday. I have waited since the 1970's for this and can barely wait one more day. Now the question is, can I get the Sioux to schedule home hockey games on weekends that we are playing the Gophers in football?

GO FIGHTING SIOUX !!!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS !!!

Congratulations.

I doubt I will see Rutgers playing hockey in the Big Ten for at least a decade. As far as I know,we will be in the Big Ten for all sports except lacrosse. Only a few Big Ten colleges have teams. The press conference is set for 2:00 PM eastern time today and will be televised on the Big Ten Network and on the Rutgers website www.scarletknights.com. I can't believe this has finally happening !!!

No offense to you there Jfr, but this is a terrible move for the Big Ten. The only positive side to the expansion is the larger markets that the Big Ten will be exposed to. However, this is going to ultimately weaken the conference. Big Ten football is already weak, and you have two programs that will do little to improve upon it. The two markets that are being expanded to do have more population, but the talent levels of recruits coming out of those places is low for a national average. Not that it matters, because football is the big ticket item these days, but their basketball programs don't bring much either. Maryland has had some decent runs a few years back, but that really doesn't improve the conference.

What the conference needed to do was expand in a way that would help make the conference relevant in football again. This move will certainly not do it.

No offense to you there Jfr, but this is a terrible move for the Big Ten. The only positive side to the expansion is the larger markets that the Big Ten will be exposed to. However, this is going to ultimately weaken the conference. Big Ten football is already weak, and you have two programs that will do little to improve upon it. The two markets that are being expanded to do have more population, but the talent levels of recruits coming out of those places is low for a national average. Not that it matters, because football is the big ticket item these days, but their basketball programs don't bring much either. Maryland has had some decent runs a few years back, but that really doesn't improve the conference.

What the conference needed to do was expand in a way that would help make the conference relevant in football again. This move will certainly not do it.

The truth X 100.

The truth X 100.

I think both of these teams will do fine over time in the big ten. It also has loads to do with academics. It's hard to establish a large footprint or add teams when you have strict academic standards for conference members. Where else could they have gone instead of Maryland and Rutgers? Maybe Pitt but they already agreed to move to ACC. And any conference that takes Notre Dame based on Notre Dames standards is pretty weak if you ask me. Either way it should be interesting to see them in the conference.