SiouxSports.com Forum

Safety in hockey talk on Hockey Day

tnt

The hit on McWilliam (forget by whom, I'll have to rewatch) was the other Gopher hit that I felt was clearly from behind and should have been called. It was as dirty a hit as Alt's and Kristo's IMO. I wouldn't have called the hit on Blood a CFB.

I'm not talking about the hit on Saturday, I'm talking about the hit on Friday. MacWilliam got hit on Saturday from behind that was called for charging, and was also hit on Friday that went uncalled. So are we to determine out of this that it is o.k. to charge someone from behind against the boards?

I'm not talking about the hit on Saturday, I'm talking about the hit on Friday. MacWilliam got hit on Saturday from behind that was called for charging, and was also hit on Friday that went uncalled. So are we to determine out of this that it is o.k. to charge someone from behind against the boards?

I was referring to the hit on Saturday. I think it should have been a CFB and not a charge. I don't recall the hit on Friday, so I'll have to watch again. Do you know which period? I don't recall from memory anything too aggregious on Friday except the Kristo hit.

I was referring to the hit on Saturday. I think it should have been a CFB and not a charge. I don't recall the hit on Friday, so I'll have to watch again. Do you know which period? I don't recall from memory anything too aggregious on Friday except the Kristo hit.

3rd period, 1:30 or so left in the game.

I agree, they should have shown the Alt hit with the others, but disagree that it was dirtier than Kristo's. Both were from behind and both could have resulted in serious injury. Just because one player went into the boards more awkwardly than the other, that doesn't mean one hit was dirtier than the other. And I don't think they purposely left the Alt hit out as they have brought up a few of Ambroz's dirty hits more than a few times since the games in which they happened.

You're still missing the point (where did I call any one of them "dirtier"?). The hits on Parks and McWilliam were exactly the same at the hit on Jablonski, which was the point of the safety talk. Kristo's deserved a 5 minute, but did not portray the point they were making on the Jablonski injury. All other Gopher cfb's last weekend could have caused concussions, like Kristo's, but the cfb's on a guy away from the boards sending him in head first only happened twice that I saw, and those were to Parks and McWilliam.

• Upvote 2

You're still missing the point. The hits on Parks and McWilliam were exactly the same at the hit on Jablonski, which was the point of the safety talk. Kristo's deserved a 5 minute, but did not portray the point they were making on the Jablonski injury. All other Gopher cfb's last weekend could have caused concussions, like Kristo's, but the cfb's on a guy away from the boards sending him in head first only happened twice that I saw, and those were to Parks and McWilliam.

As someone who is heavily involved with MN Youth Hockey, I can tell you there is little difference in our eyes between the Kristo hit, the Alt hit, and the one on McWilliam. All were dangerous and unnecessary, all could have resulted in serious injury, and all need to be removed from the game. All were dirty hits, including Kristo's. So, no, I didn't miss your point because I think all three equally embodied what we are trying to remove from the game at our youth levels.

Andrew MacWilliam said that growing up where he played youth hockey they had stop signs on the back of the jerseys. We shouldn't have to do that at the college level. The two hits on MacWilliam last weekend were dangerous, but I don't think that these kids were out to hurt anyone. I think many of these guys get caught up in the college atmosphere and want to make a big hit. I worry that we make players on one team or another evil when something happens, when most of the college players could probably say "save for the grace of God, there go I". It scares me to see guys like Rodwell and Pattyn going recklessly into the corner at 100 miles per hour, because if a guy turns on you, or if he doesn't get to the boards before you hit him, you have the potential for injury. Those are the kind of hits that happened to MacWilliam last weekend, and circumstances were such that no injury occured. I don't think there was any intent there, but guys are going to have to have a little more respect when they go into the corners with speed, or I fear we are going to be talking about more injuries and more finger pointing.

Andrew MacWilliam said that growing up where he played youth hockey they had stop signs on the back of the jerseys. We shouldn't have to do that at the college level. The two hits on MacWilliam last weekend were dangerous, but I don't think that these kids were out to hurt anyone. I think many of these guys get caught up in the college atmosphere and want to make a big hit. I worry that we make players on one team or another evil when something happens, when most of the college players could probably say "save for the grace of God, there go I". It scares me to see guys like Rodwell and Pattyn going recklessly into the corner at 100 miles per hour, because if a guy turns on you, or if he doesn't get to the boards before you hit him, you have the potential for injury. Those are the kind of hits that happened to MacWilliam last weekend, and circumstances were such that no injury occured. I don't think there was any intent there, but guys are going to have to have a little more respect when they go into the corners with speed, or I fear we are going to be talking about more injuries and more finger pointing.

I couldn't agree with you more. These kids think they need to destroy a player, when all they need to do is separate player from puck. Like you said, it's been engrained in the culture of the game, and that's unfortunate.

As someone who is heavily involved with MN Youth Hockey, I can tell you there is little difference in our eyes between the Kristo hit, the Alt hit, and the one on McWilliam. All were dangerous and unnecessary, all could have resulted in serious injury, and all need to be removed from the game. All were dirty hits, including Kristo's. So, no, I didn't miss your point because I think all three equally embodied what we are trying to remove from the game at our youth levels.

Now we've come full circle. So when FSN discusses safety and eliminating cfb's that cause Jablonski type injuries on Hockey Day, why not show the Gopher hits as well. With so many of those kids being Gopher fans, that would certainly make the point even better, than just showing the Kristo hit, when everyone in Gopherville has already been indoctrinated in knowing that he Sioux are dirty thugs.

Now we've come full circle. So when FSN discusses safety and eliminating cfb's that cause Jablonski type injuries on Hockey Day, why not show the Gopher hits as well. With so many of those kids being Gopher fans, that would certainly make the point even better, than just showing the Kristo hit, when everyone in Gopherville has already been indoctrinated in knowing that he Sioux are dirty thugs.

I already said, twice, that I agree that they should have.

• Upvote 1