SiouxSports.com Forum

I'm confused. When do we drop the nickname?

Hayduke

I'm trying to piece this together.

I plan on going to the UND/UNC Football game decked out in full Sioux regalia. (Of course, I'll do this 'til the day I die, so that's not going to change.) I know they will still be called the Fighting Sioux then. But, when exactly, or even unofficially, does it end?

I was assuming for some reason on December 1st. But, I know the legislature has to meet first and reverse the bill that was passed and signed into law. However, are there plans in place to start using generic "North Dakota" jerseys for the Men's Hockey Team? Are they pulling all the Fighting Sioux items from the stores by December 1st?

Maybe there just aren't clear answers on this until the legislature changes the law, if they change the law...

I believe the plan (before any Legislative action) was to be "The Fighting Sioux" through 2011-2012 but wear non-logo/no "Sioux" word gear in any NCAA playoffs. Kelley got permission from the ND SBoHE to sell "Sioux" gear through this year as well.

I believe the plan (before any Legislative action) was to be "The Fighting Sioux" through 2011-2012 but wear non-logo/no "Sioux" word gear in any NCAA playoffs. Kelley got permission from the ND SBoHE to sell "Sioux" gear through this year as well.

That makes sense. I don't see any "Sioux" logos on uniforms outside of Men's hockey. I guess that's a cost cutting measure on the athletic department. (Maybe I'm not seeing the logos and they ARE there, or maybe that's not a correct analysis?)

Just look at the Sioux stuff sold at Target. It just says UND or North Dakota with the UND logo not the Sioux logo, and it says "Go Team". Lame IMO, but it may be a beginning. Hockey is going to be the only major change in uniforms when it comes to retirement.