SiouxSports.com Forum

Fieldturf @ the Alerus

Bisonfan1234

I know the Alerus is only 3 years old (or whatever it is)... but what are your guy's thoughts on getting synthetic grass @ the Alerus?

I'm definately would be in support if they wanted to get it at the Fargodome.

I think Astroturf is on the way out as it is not the most comfortable surface to play on and it sometimes causes injuries that wouldn't happen on fieldturf (mostly knee and ankle).

You guys just got a "magic carpet" (After you saw it at the Al, I might add...just like the videoboards)... I seriously doubt Erv "never let them see you sweat" Inniger and the Boys are going to shell out for new turf anytime soon. It took 10 years, bursting seams, and concrete showing through before they got rid of that old rug at the Barn...

RD17,

We had a heated discussion about this on the bisonville board, and apparently you can put a surface over top of the Fieldturf to have other events instead of rolling it off the floor. The Metrodome may be using it next year. The Alerus, much like the Fargodome, has a couple of seasons left on the current Magic Carpet before they need to start thinking about new turf. The fieldturf would be nice, but the conversions from turf to other events (Manheim Steamroller to UND playoff game?) may not be possible anymore. The crew at the Alerus supposedly had to work through the night to get ready for the game. I heard that it takes less than an hour to roll up the turf at the Fargodome, but am willing to bet it would take a lot longer to put a floor on top of the fieldturf.

RD17,

We had a heated discussion about this on the bisonville board, and apparently you can put a surface over top of the Fieldturf to have other events instead of rolling it off the floor. The Metrodome may be using it next year. The Alerus, much like the Fargodome, has a couple of seasons left on the current Magic Carpet before they need to start thinking about new turf. The fieldturf would be nice, but the conversions from turf to other events (Manheim Steamroller to UND playoff game?) may not be possible anymore. The crew at the Alerus supposedly had to work through the night to get ready for the game. I heard that it takes less than an hour to roll up the turf at the Fargodome, but am willing to bet it would take a lot longer to put a floor on top of the fieldturf.

bisonguy,

That's interesting, I suppose it makes sense that a floor could be put over the fieldturf, but I had never heard of it before. I think it would be great to have fieldturf at the Alerus, but like you said, setup time could be the limiting factor.

Well...you should know that amny domes across the the country have fieldturf and host a variety of events with no trouble whatsoever.

Georgia Dome, Ford Field (a dome), Metrodome *WILL* be installing astroplay (it's a done deal).

It can be done and i think it's only a matter of time before either NDSU or UND gets it which will cause the other to get it it as well.