SiouxSports.com Forum

02-03 schedule

YaneA

The original WCHA charter teams plus Wisconsin should be the core of the home and home series scheduling, thus UND, Minn, Denver, Colorado College, MTech, etc should play each other home and home every year.  The rest of late comer wanabees like Mankato and AA get the left overs. It seems unbelievable that over the last few years we lost games with Wisconsin and now Minnesota but by G_d the WCHA will  make sure we play wannabe Mankato home and home every year.  That truely SUCKS.  The charter rivalries should remain intact!

DG

I agree, Scott, Ballard needs to be straightened out. Loved the very legal hit the Denver Dman (McKenzie???) put on him in the championship game. He popped right up but I'll bet his backside is still sore this week.

I agree, Scott, Ballard needs to be straightened out. Loved the very legal hit the Denver Dman (McKenzie???) put on him in the championship game. He popped right up but I'll bet his backside is still sore this week.

Hey Sprig,

Were you at the Excel center last weekend. I have never heard 18,000+ fans be so quite after Denver scored its fourth goal. The Ballard hit was awesome. Denver dished out some great hits in the championship game.

Nope, unfortunately not. Wasn't lucky enough to draw ff tickets either with no pref points. Only ff I've been to was in 83. Hope to get into REA for the 06? regional.

Saw the hit on Ballard on the tube; even FOXN showed it more than once. Wooger would have had to give it the hit of the game had they awarded one.

Offical voice of the UND Fighting Sioux Radio network, Tim Hennesey think UND might get a regional next season if they expand the tourney to 16 teams. I think that would be a great event to watch.

#### Michigan gets a regional this season and next season. I think UND will start applying on a regular basis with the new barn being in the mix.

Bob Norton (Mr Hockey East) or one of the other East Coast Rubes from FSN interviewed Jack MacDonald Athletic director from QU (I think we are giving him to much power and status) and I guess the final vote for expanding the tourney to 16 team in June or July. MacDonald said it is a slamb dunk or a rubber stamp...

2002-03 UND Home Hockey Schedule

Oct. 22 Manitoba  7:05

Oct. 25-26 Niagara 7:05

Nov. 22-23 Wisconsin 7:05

Nov. 29-30 Minnesota State University, Mankato 7:05

Dec 6-7 St Cloud 7:05

Dec 13-14Canisius 7:05

Dec 27-28 Imperial Ice Classic TBA

Jan 3-4 Colorado College7:05

Jan. 24-25 University of Alaska-Anchorage 7:05

Feb. 7-8 Michigan Tech University 7:05

Mar. 1-2 Duluth 7:05

Notice all of the games are at 7:05 p.m. Actually I have heard that the Duluth Games are supposed to be at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday to accomidate the NDHS tourney...

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/2970144.htm

UND might bid for hockey regional

If the NCAA Division I hockey tournament field expands from 12 to 16 teams next year, UND is interested in playing host to a regional.

If the field goes to 16 teams, one or two regionals could be added. Currently, there is a West Regional and an East Regional. Both have six teams.

The tournament format will be discussed at the hockey coaches' meeting next month in Florida. The NCAA management council is expected to approve expansion April 8. The NCAA board of directors will vote April 25, and the executive committee will make the final decision in August.

"We're going to be very aggressive," Thomas said about regionals. "We're planning on going after it. When those types of things crop up, we hope we're in the front row and ready to go."

UND is set to play host to the 2006 West Regional.

"We'd like to have it every year," Sioux coach Dean Blais said. "It's a huge advantage to host it."

Playing host to the West Regional has been an advantage for the University of Michigan. UND was favored to come out of the West Regional in 1998 but was upset by Michigan in Ann Arbor. Denver University was favored to come out of the West Regional this season but was upset by Michigan in Ann Arbor.

"I thought the NCAA was into the fairness and equity and everything," Blais said.

If campus facilities continue to play host to regionals, Blais wants in. He said UND has the facilities, including side-by-side rinks at Engelstad Arena, and the necessary hotels and airlines to accommodate teams and fans.

Blais said he doesn't like this year's Frozen Four format, which has East against East and West against West in the semifinals. He also doesn't like the idea of having West teams remain in the West Regional, and East teams remain in the East Regional, which was mandated this year because of the September terrorist attacks.

"The bottom line is you want the four best teams playing," Blais said of the Frozen Four. "Well, I don't think the four best teams are playing. It's just the way they matched them up."

Blais said either St. Cloud State or Denver of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association might have advanced if they had been sent to the East Regional this year. Instead, Minnesota is the lone WCHA Frozen Four team.

"We could have had three, maybe four, teams in the Frozen Four," Blais said of the WCHA.

• 1 month later...