SiouxSports.com Forum

2010-11 Hobey Baker candidates

Dave Berger

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who will represent UND in Hobey's top ten?

• Aaron Dell
    • Matt Frattin
    • Chay Genoway
    • Corban Knight
    • Other
    • UND won't have any players in Hobey's top ten

I told my wife that I wouldn't start with the Frattin for Hobey campaign until he hit 20 goals. Well, we're here. You may have heard me at the rink tonight. :D

Before this season started, I thought the Hobey possibilities for the Green and White were:

Chay Genoway

Brad Eidsness

Jason Gregoire

And now I think we've got:

Matt Frattin

Aaron Dell

Chay Genoway

It's rare to have multiple finalists from one school, as many schools choose to heavily promote one player instead of plugging several, but I really think Frattin and Dell have a shot at cracking the top ten. What helps them both is the combination of UND's strength of schedule, overall record, and national profile.

I think either Andy Miele or Carter Camper (both from Miami) will make it, along with Jack Connolly and/or Justin Fontaine (Minnesota-Duluth). Broc Little (Yale) is easily in, and I think there's a spot for Cam Atkinson (Boston College). Allen York (Rensselaer) is probably the Eastern candidate between the pipes. In a soft year for defensemen, Justin Schultz (Wisconsin) has a shot, but a lean year on the blue line also helps Chay Genoway, in my opinion.

Other forwards with an outside chance would be T.J. Tynan (Notre Dame), Paul Thompson (New Hampshire), and Craig Smith (Wisconsin).

Dell will have to pass Scott Gudmanson (Wisconsin) to get the Western Hobey nod to netminders.

I'd like to hear who's on your radar, both at UND, throughout the WCHA, and across the college hockey landscape.

Dave

solid list dave

i havent watched as much hockey east or even ccha to have a solid list but here are names that stick out to me

Matt Frattin (north dakota) on a tear with 20 goals. 3 guys behind him each with 16.

Carter Camper (miami) pace slowed this last weekend

i havent seen schultz play much at D for uw but he has great numbers at the blueline.

tyan from notre dame having a nice year along with smith and gudmanson from uw. atkinson is very good for BC

If Dell keeps racking up wins and keeps his pace up he will be right up there as well. throw in the schedule the sioux have played and hes a legit top 15-20 hobey guy right now. dell leads the nation in wins with 15 while muse and the yale goalie sit with 13. he has 3 shutouts which is 2nd in nation behind leaders with 4.

stat leaders

i was at the Yale/Harvard game last night and Yale fans think Little is the guy to beat...

He seemed decent, but dude is totally arrogant.

Late in the third period with Yale up 4-1 he was in our zone for a face-off and some Homer Yells "Go get-em Broc"...

Little takes his stick and taps it a few times over top of the Plexi-Glass...

IMO, on Harvard's Home Ice it was totally classless. After talking to a Yale Asst Coaches wife (sat next to her) she says he totally acts like that all the time.

I would love to see him pull that kind of stuff in a WCHA arena...

other Hobey Talk...

Frats goals should speak for it'self...If not i would say our SOS, and National Ranking should help too.

i do hope more positive talk about his switch from the past years problems are talked about than the negative...

Go Sioux...

Frats is closing the gap on the leading candidates (looking at Camper specifically), especially if hs goal pace continues. He'll need some helpers on other goals just to pad is point amount, but the dude can seriously score.

I think if Matt can get to the 45 point mark, and then have nearly 30 goals in the process, he will be a top candidate for sure. The problem is, Matt's assist count is relatively low for some of the top point getters out there.