SiouxSports.com Forum

Distribution of Alumni

ShilohSioux

Not sure if this is the right topic category (might better belong in "Community") but is there a list somewhere that shows distribution of UND and NDSU alums, by county, in North Dakota, and perhaps how UND alums are based out of state? It would be nice to know how we stack up on the west side of the state compared to NDSU, and how we are grouped in future BSC locales. Also, it might lay to rest the "Fargo is mostly a NDSU town" cry some like to make.

Not sure if this is the right topic category (might better belong in "Community") but is there a list somewhere that shows distribution of UND and NDSU alums, by county, in North Dakota, and perhaps how UND alums are based out of state? It would be nice to know how we stack up on the west side of the state compared to NDSU, and how we are grouped in future BSC locales. Also, it might lay to rest the "Fargo is mostly a NDSU town" cry some like to make.

here is a pretty nice one for NDSU

http://www.ndsualumnicenter.com/alumniassociation/maps/national/webmap.htm

By looks of that map you guys should be in the Big Sky. NDSU sure missed the mark....................

Well there are 3k more alumni living in Big Sky states vs Summit/MVFC states. That said, the 20k+ alumni living in the area from the Twin Cities to Milwaukee are much closer to the Summit/MVFC than they are to the Big Sky. So I can live with that fact.

here is a pretty nice one for NDSU

http://www.ndsualumn...onal/webmap.htm

Thanks, Hansel. Exactly what I was looking for. I am a bit surprised at the high number in Cass County compared to elsewhere. With NSDU being the land grant institution for the state, I would have thought there was a higher percentage in the west side of the state than what is showing here. With the two universities comparable in size, it would be interesting to compare NDSU and UND county-by-county. Sioux fans, do we have something similar for UND?

Thanks, Hansel. Exactly what I was looking for. I am a bit surprised at the high number in Cass County compared to elsewhere. With NSDU being the land grant institution for the state, I would have thought there was a higher percentage in the west side of the state than what is showing here. With the two universities comparable in size, it would be interesting to compare NDSU and UND county-by-county. Sioux fans, do we have something similar for UND?

Similar maps were posted on here a couple of years ago for both UND and NDSU, but I don't remember even which forum to look under. But that also tells me there should be a web site somewhere that would have that info. Have you tried your friend Google?

I guess this is better than nothing....

Hopefully Bin can find a link to the map he referenced.

Here are some figures from UND's Big Sky announcement...

Number of UND Alumni Within 100 Miles of Big Sky Campuses:

Greeley, Colorado: 2,865 (Denver area: 3,301)

Sacramento/Davis, California: 1,578

Portland, Oregon: 1,178 (Seattle area: 2,204)

Spokane, Washington: 456

Missoula, Montana: 445

Bozeman, Montana: 365

Ogden, Utah: 362

San Luis Obispo, California: 285

Flagstaff, Arizona: 160

Pocatello, Idaho: 144

Well there are 3k more alumni living in Big Sky states vs Summit/MVFC states. That said, the 20k+ alumni living in the area from the Twin Cities to Milwaukee are much closer to the Summit/MVFC than they are to the Big Sky. So I can live with that fact.

If a UND alumnus living in the MSP area has limited choices for attending UND games, I would rather they come to GF for games.

Plan a nice vacation around the beautiful destinations for a road game. :)

Hopefully Bin can find a link to the map he referenced.

Those numbers I listed came off of a map that was sent to me from the Alumni foundation a few years ago...................

Closest thing I can find on the web is on page 19 of the UND Vision One portfolio. That lists UND "constituents" around the country.

I can't seem to find anything like Hansel's map that lists alumni by county, but I thought that our friend Hammersmith had showed us one at one time, or maybe I'm just smokin' something...............

On an unrelated note, I see on that same page on the alumni map, which is from 2007, that the Fighting Sioux Club had a goal of reaching $2 million by 2012-13. They went over $2 million last year, so fundraising appears to be going quite well.

Those numbers I listed came off of a map that was sent to me from the Alumni foundation a few years ago...................

Closest thing I can find on the web is on page 19 of the UND Vision One portfolio. That lists UND "constituents" around the country.

I can't seem to find anything like Hansel's map that lists alumni by county, but I thought that our friend Hammersmith had showed us one at one time, or maybe I'm just smokin' something.............

On an unrelated note, I see on that same page on the alumni map, which is from 2007, that the Fighting Sioux Club had a goal of reaching $2 million by 2012-13. They went over $2 million last year, so fundraising appears to be going quite well.

I remember seeing the same map, and Hammersmith could very well be the one that posted it. So unless I'm smoking the same thing, it must have happened.