SiouxSports.com Forum

Great West Predictions

bincitysioux

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Phil Steele has released his preseason All Great West Teams..........

Queoff, Boyle, Kasowski, and Hawkins all made 1st team, while Landry, Sutton, McGurran, Brenneman, Dublanko, Cochran, and Ankenbauer made 2nd team.

Phil Steele is pretty respected/knowledgeable, but I was shocked to see Cal Poly's QB Tony Smith named the 1st team QB. He looked pretty awful to me in GF last season. According to AGS, he may not even open the season as the starter. Davis, SUU, and USD all have new QB's this season..........despite his up and down season last year, Jake Landry is possibly the most proven and perhaps reliable QB in the league to start off this season.

I would have picked Davis as the favorite coming in to this year, but when their QB Denham decided not to return, I think made everything wide open. Despite North Dakota's wide receiver situation, we could potentially have one of the most experienced offenses coming back this season with Landry/Goska under center and Sutton/Murray in the backfield. And I have to think that the defense will improve with Dublanko, Boyle, Brenneman, and Hawkins progressing.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Phil Steele has released his preseason All Great West Teams..........

Queoff, Boyle, Kasowski, and Hawkins all made 1st team, while Landry, Sutton, McGurran, Brenneman, Dublanko, Cochran, and Ankenbauer made 2nd team.

Phil Steele is pretty respected/knowledgeable, but I was shocked to see Cal Poly's QB Tony Smith named the 1st team QB. He looked pretty awful to me in GF last season. According to AGS, he may not even open the season as the starter. Davis, SUU, and USD all have new QB's this season..........despite his up and down season last year, Jake Landry is possibly the most proven and perhaps reliable QB in the league to start off this season.

I would have picked Davis as the favorite coming in to this year, but when their QB Denham decided not to return, I think made everything wide open. Despite North Dakota's wide receiver situation, we could potentially have one of the most experienced offenses coming back this season with Landry/Goska under center and Sutton/Murray in the backfield. And I have to think that the defense will improve with Dublanko, Boyle, Brenneman, and Hawkins progressing.

Steele actually has Cal Poly at no. 14 nationally, which seems pretty strange to me considering how much they struggled for most of last season.

Steele actually has Cal Poly at no. 14 nationally, which seems pretty strange to me considering how much they struggled for most of last season.

Poly had a lot of good athletes last year. I think they are about right where they are at. I chalk last year up more to a solid conference last year. After UND took it to Poly last year their season spiraled a little bit but they still beat SDSU last year and played Montana pretty tough last season. They return some key players and will be tough next season. I'm looking forward to the game out there this year.

Poly had a lot of good athletes last year. I think they are about right where they are at. I chalk last year up more to a solid conference last year. After UND took it to Poly last year their season spiraled a little bit but they still beat SDSU last year and played Montana pretty tough last season. They return some key players and will be tough next season. I'm looking forward to the game out there this year.

It seemed like Poly was pretty solid in the first half of last season, but starting with the UND game they struggled quite badly. Granted, they may have had some injury problems, but they seemed really undersized on the offensive line, and couldn't stop the run very well, at least in Great West games. I think they have as good of a chance as anybody to win the Great West, since the conference appears so wide open, but picking them at 14th nationally seems like a bit of a stretch IMO.

It seemed like Poly was pretty solid in the first half of last season, but starting with the UND game they struggled quite badly. Granted, they may have had some injury problems, but they seemed really undersized on the offensive line, and couldn't stop the run very well, at least in Great West games. I think they have as good of a chance as anybody to win the Great West, since the conference appears so wide open, but picking them at 14th nationally seems like a bit of a stretch IMO.

Cal Poly has finished in the top 25 every year from 2004 to 2008. In 2009 they had to adjust to a new coaching staff, new defense and replace 9 starters on offense. This year they return 9 starters on offense and added West Virginia RB Mark Rodgers. On defense they return 8 starters. On defense they struggled on the D-line when they switched from a 3-4 defense with small quick linemen to a 4-3 where they need big D-linemen. This year they added two transfers there, 4 redshirt freshmen, ant their top D-lineman from 2008 who sat out 2009 with injury. I think the D-line was a liability in 2009 and in 2010 in has a chance to be very good.

Cal Poly has finished in the top 25 every year from 2004 to 2008. In 2009 they had to adjust to a new coaching staff, new defense and replace 9 starters on offense. This year they return 9 starters on offense and added West Virginia RB Mark Rodgers. On defense they return 8 starters. On defense they struggled on the D-line when they switched from a 3-4 defense with small quick linemen to a 4-3 where they need big D-linemen. This year they added two transfers there, 4 redshirt freshmen, ant their top D-lineman from 2008 who sat out 2009 with injury. I think the D-line was a liability in 2009 and in 2010 in has a chance to be very good.

I understand that Cal Poly is traditionally good. But objectively speaking, based upon last year's performance and who is returning, would you honestly pick them in the top-15 preseason?

I understand that Cal Poly is traditionally good. But objectively speaking, based upon last year's performance and who is returning, would you honestly pick them in the top-15 preseason?

I would not put them in the top 15, but would put them in the top 25. You saw a team in transition that was decimated with injuries. Before the injuries they beat a top 25 SDSU and had a lead on FCS runner up Montana in the 4th quarter on the road. Last year they had 9 new starters on offense. This year they return 9 starters and added RB Mark Rodgers. They also added Baylor transfer Matt Singletary (Mike Singletary's son) to the d-line, and JC d-lineman Mike Murphy. Last year d-line was the main area they recruited for because of the switch to the 4-3 and they brought in 4 highly regarded prospects who redshirted. They all looked great this spring and will add depth to the d-line. Also Cal Poly's two best d-linemen from 2008 where injured last season. James Chen played the whole season injured and Gavin Cooper sat out the season with a shoulder injury. Both are back and healthy this year.

I would not put them in the top 15, but would put them in the top 25. You saw a team in transition that was decimated with injuries. Before the injuries they beat a top 25 SDSU and had a lead on FCS runner up Montana in the 4th quarter on the road. Last year they had 9 new starters on offense. This year they return 9 starters and added RB Mark Rodgers. They also added Baylor transfer Matt Singletary (Mike Singletary's son) to the d-line, and JC d-lineman Mike Murphy. Last year d-line was the main area they recruited for because of the switch to the 4-3 and they brought in 4 highly regarded prospects who redshirted. They all looked great this spring and will add depth to the d-line. Also Cal Poly's two best d-linemen from 2008 where injured last season. James Chen played the whole season injured and Gavin Cooper sat out the season with a shoulder injury. Both are back and healthy this year.

Thanks for the update Slo. I think the game between UND and Poly will be a good one this year. Our defense is going to be really good and if we can get something from our young receivers we will be much improved on offense. We lost Bamba so that opens the door for our younger receivers to step up and prove themselves. If that happens our team will be very solid. The Great West in general is going to be good. Southern Utah's team has improved so much since UND first played them when we first started our transition. Their coach had a plan to rebuild than and he stuck with it. USD will have a few questions at this year but should be physical like they always are. And as always both California schools are always very athletic and always seem to put solid football teams on the field.

Thanks for the update Slo. I think the game between UND and Poly will be a good one this year. Our defense is going to be really good and if we can get something from our young receivers we will be much improved on offense. We lost Bamba so that opens the door for our younger receivers to step up and prove themselves. If that happens our team will be very solid. The Great West in general is going to be good. Southern Utah's team has improved so much since UND first played them when we first started our transition. Their coach had a plan to rebuild than and he stuck with it. USD will have a few questions at this year but should be physical like they always are. And as always both California schools are always very athletic and always seem to put solid football teams on the field.

I agree the Great West should be a real dog fight in 2010. I really think you could make a case for any of the teams. It will be fun seeing how it all plays out.