SiouxSports.com Forum

McDermott leaves Iowa St.

bincitysioux

Many critical comments attached to that article. It bet Mac will be glad to get out of Iowa! I hope he shows them up by winning big at Creighton!

Mac underperformed at ISU. This is really a win-win for both parties. ISU gets a new coach without having to buy out his contract and Mac gets a pretty sweet gig in a good conference with a great long-term contract.

Mac underperformed at ISU. This is really a win-win for both parties. ISU gets a new coach without having to buy out his contract and Mac gets a pretty sweet gig in a good conference with a great long-term contract.

Not sure its fair to say he "underperformed" at ISU. Wesley Johnson leaving was a bad deal. Not being able to keep Harrison Barnes in town was another bad deal. Those 2 guys would have made a huge difference in the program.

I think Mac found out that mid-major and high major bball is really 2 different worlds. I'm glad he got to leave before they threw him out. He'll win at Creighton and they'll like him in Omaha. Rumor is 10 years at $900,000/year. I think he'll be ok. :( Still double the money Ben is getting at Northern Iowa. That seems a little strange.

As a Creighton law student, and UND grad, I am very excited about this. The man is a MVC winner, and I am happy to see him get out of the disaster that is Ames, Iowa. Dana Altman was a great coach for Creighton, but lost control of his team in the past few years.

Not sure its fair to say he "underperformed" at ISU. Wesley Johnson leaving was a bad deal. Not being able to keep Harrison Barnes in town was another bad deal. Those 2 guys would have made a huge difference in the program.

I think Mac found out that mid-major and high major bball is really 2 different worlds. I'm glad he got to leave before they threw him out. He'll win at Creighton and they'll like him in Omaha. Rumor is 10 years at $900,000/year. I think he'll be ok. :( Still double the money Ben is getting at Northern Iowa. That seems a little strange.

Not really strange. Creighton plays in the Ralph Englestad of college basketball. Their attendance is top 15 in all of college basketball. The school has money and donors.

Not really strange. Creighton plays in the Ralph Englestad of college basketball. Their attendance is top 15 in all of college basketball. The school has money and donors.

I was thinking strange in terms of who has done more lately. Ben has beaten Iowa and Iowa St. the last 3 years, coached in 2 NCAA tourney's and beaten Kansas. Mac is good but just hasn't been on much of a hot streak the last few years.

It is easier to win at high-end mid-majors than at low-end BCS schools

• 2 months later...
It would have been interesting if the Big 12 would have imploded......Nobody wanted ISU....?

If Kansas couldn't find a conference, how was ISU going to find one? The Big 12 would love to see ISU get out and they'd try to bring in an Arkansas or someone like that.

If Kansas couldn't find a conference, how was ISU going to find one? The Big 12 would love to see ISU get out and they'd try to bring in an Arkansas or someone like that.

I totally agree, ISU was very nervous this last month. They could have easily been a school without a BCS conference. Texas I believe has at least 3-4x the Athletic budget that ISU can offer.