SiouxSports.com Forum

Still Questioning Bowenkamp?

Bearer88

Not me. I was upset with him after the Augie and St. Cloud games, but it's certainly now looking like those games were aberrations rather than the rule. A great performance on the road in a tough environment, and a clutch performance in the most pressure-packed of games would have to make believers out of pretty much everybody. And you have to like the 12 to 3 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

I'm still not truly convinced that he is the savior. 

Did he really make any outstanding plays against the Bison?

Savior? No. But he made good decisions for the most part, threw a great pass to Lueck for the long td in the second half, scrambled for a first down (I didn't think he had that in him), made a clutch throw to get a first down in overtime (the timing route to Lueck on 3rd and 12), and the throw to Johnson for the td in overtime. He really had to bullet that one in there. He deserves a lot of credit in my opinion. He's not perfect, but he has shown improvement over last year. Last season, int's were his big problem. Now, he's only thrown 3 compared to 12 touchdowns. I don't think any other qb in the league has a better td to int ratio.

Does everybody see my point now as to why the decision to start him against SDSU last week wasn't a no-brainer? I think that experience in the game and the rivalry definitely helped him on Saturday. Both QB's are very capable of performing at any time. Nothing ever flashy, just getting the job done.

Rink Rat,

If you are referring to my post, I know. Yes Bowenkamp has trouble hitting the open receiver at times. So does Joe Wilson, and every other QB in the conference. I watched Stauss miss a few open receivers also this weekend. My point was that it wasn't a no-brainer, that's all.

At the time Lennon decided to start Bowenkamp over Wilson, I thought it was a no-brainer because Bowenkamp was obviously struggling. Although I knew Bowenkamp was capable of playing much better, it was Wilson who came off the bench and staged an amazing comeback against St. Cloud. Under the circumstances, it made a lot of sense to start Wilson.

However, Bowenkamp certainly redeemed himself against SDSU and the Bison. Perhaps losing the starting job was the spark he needed.