SiouxSports.com Forum

Stick Salute

Esoxpirate

So when should a stick salute be done by a team?

I thought that it was only for sweeps and only applicable at home or on neutral ice.

Exception, last home game of the season for seniors.

Thanks

Esox

That describes the policy that UND has for stick salutes. But some other schools have different policies, including those that do a stick salute either every home game or every series no matter what the results. They do it as a thank you to the fans for the support and for attending the game(s).

I like the way UND does it. It's a great way to thank the fans after a good home series and of course we all love to see off the seniors at the end of the year. I think I'd be ok with it too on neutral ice, but let's face fact here...the Xcel isn't exactly neutral, however I don't think I've ever seen the Sioux do a stick salute there.

I don't really think there is a classless time after a home game when a stick salute is done.

Sure, it makes sense after a sweep, but some schools do it to pay tribute to the fans rather than to signify a win. At least that was what I was told.

Yeah, you'd look silly doing it after a loss or after being swept at home, but...

I don't really think there is a classless time after a home game when a stick salute is done.

Sure, it makes sense after a sweep, but some schools do it to pay tribute to the fans rather than to signify a win. At least that was what I was told.

Yeah, you'd look silly doing it after a loss or after being swept at home, but...

I saw the LSSU Lakers give a stick salute to fans about 10 years ago after receiving an 8-0 pasting at the hands of Michigan. I didn't think it looked silly at all...it was about thanking the fans who watched the game.

I saw the LSSU Lakers give a stick salute to fans about 10 years ago after receiving an 8-0 pasting at the hands of Michigan. I didn't think it looked silly at all...it was about thanking the fans who watched the game.

That is the key, thanking the fans. It's only a matter of how often you want to do that. If you do it less often, like after a sweep, it probably means more on those occasions. But overall it should be a way for the teams to thank their fans.