SiouxSports.com Forum

Next Years Team

gfhockey

Wayne Nelson had the following red-shirts listed as "players to watch" for next year in today's Herald:

Greg Hardin

Blair Townsend

Joe Kleason

Caleb Nelson

Dominique Bennett

Cordero Finley

Garrison Goodman

Chavon Mackey

Chris Hall

I don't know if there should have or could have been others on this list but a few observations:

I am glad to see a couple of OL on the list (I hope Nelson is putting on a bunch of pounds). Had hoped to see Hoerchner and/or Doehling and/or Field.

Having a couple of WRs listed is good but does anyone know anything more about Chris Roach? Was he a red-shirt freshman or a transfer? With his being the Scout Team player of the week 2-3 times, I would have thought he would have been mentioned.

With our having concern about LB talent, it is good to see three youngsters. I had thought there might be four listed - Otto being the 4th.

Disappointed not to see any DL - was hoping that Lundeen and/or Stanchik would have been listed.

I was also surprised that RB Binns wasn't listed.

I hope Miller was an oversight because he is a kicker. He came in with great HS stats - I hope he can fill Hellevang's shoes right away!

I don't know if there should have or could have been others on this list but a few observations:

I am glad to see a couple of OL on the list (I hope Nelson is putting on a bunch of pounds). Had hoped to see Hoerchner and/or Doehling and/or Field.

Having a couple of WRs listed is good but does anyone know anything more about Chris Roach? Was he a red-shirt freshman or a transfer? With his being the Scout Team player of the week 2-3 times, I would have thought he would have been mentioned.

With our having concern about LB talent, it is good to see three youngsters. I had thought there might be four listed - Otto being the 4th.

Disappointed not to see any DL - was hoping that Lundeen and/or Stanchik would have been listed.

I was also surprised that RB Binns wasn't listed.

I hope Miller was an oversight because he is a kicker. He came in with great HS stats - I hope he can fill Hellevang's shoes right away!

One thing to remember is that none of these freshmen have gone through a college offseason weight training program. A lot could change with some of the linemen type kids between now and August (or even spring ball, for that matter).

The other thing is that Wayne probably asked the coaches for a few names which were likely rattled off without a great deal of thought. It's entirely possible that there were oversights, etc.