SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname committee formed

YaneA

Seems this "Spirit Lake reservation resident" attended UND, and has an agenda.

Longie, president of Spirit Lake Consulting
According to the website this person was at one time the president of Cankdeska Cikana Community College and holds a doctorate. Must be quite a lucrative consulting business.

with tribal members who actually have been students at UND and hear their views concerning their experiences at the school as the result of the logo.
Key words there:
as a result of the logo

Having people who have no knowledge of what actually has been going on deciding an issue is just wrong.
Well, the logo is
supposedly
causing of havoc all over the place. People holding up pictures of someone's grandma skinned and all that. Don't the problems extend to people who haven't been to this University? Why shouldn't they get a vote? (BTW, key word in my statement:
supposedly
.)

All in all, this guy seems to be AGAINST a referendum (which is the most democratic of all possibilities) and also against having
anyone who hasn't been to UND
(!) have any say over the matter. And coincidently,
;)
that would raise his own personal influence on the matter.

We've been down this road before.

• Do the votes of students or attendees get weighed based on how long they were at the school?

• How about on-scholarship vs not-on-scholarship, any difference in voting weights?

• If you got a good grade, does that allow your opinion to count for more or less?

:)

Right now I have to agree: this person has an agenda. His blog is quite clear on the matter
I can't see this person bringing an "open mind" to the Nickname
Resolution
Committee.

Addendum: This business claims to have gotten money from the University of North Dakota's Center for Innovation:

Spirit Lake Consulting, Inc. , a firm based in Fort Totten, North Dakota on the Spirit Lake Reservation has received a $2,500 grant from the University of North Dakota

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the website this person was at one time the president of Cankdeska Cikana Community College and holds a doctorate. Must be quite a lucrative consulting business.

Key words there:
as a result of the logo

Well, the logo is
supposedly
causing of havoc all over the place. People holding up pictures of someone's grandma skinned and all that. Don't the problems extend to people who haven't been to this University? Why shouldn't they get a vote? (BTW, key word in my statement:
supposedly
.)

All in all, this guy seems to be AGAINST a referendum (which is the most democratic of all possibilities) and also against having
anyone who hasn't been to UND
(!) have any say over the matter. And coincidently,
;)
that would raise his own personal influence on the matter.

We've been down this road before.

• Do the votes of students or attendees get weighed based on how long they were at the school?

• How about on-scholarship vs not-on-scholarship, any difference in voting weights?

• If you got a good grade, does that allow your opinion to count for more or less?

:)

Right now I have to agree: this person has an agenda. His blog is quite clear on the matter
I can't see this person bringing an "open mind" to the Nickname
Resolution
Committee.

Addendum: This business claims to have gotten money from the University of North Dakota's Center for Innovation:

Spirit Lake Consulting, Inc. , a firm based in Fort Totten, North Dakota on the Spirit Lake Reservation has received a $2,500 grant from the University of North Dakota

OK, i have not really payed much attention to the whole Nickname issue and i have no idea what is currently happening with the Nickname. I didnt know where to put this exactly so i thought here was good. I have a few questions about this issue if anyone could help me out that would be great.

Firstly, What is the likelihood that UND will get to keep the Fighting Sioux Nickname and logo, i want an honest straight forward answer, is it looking good or does it look like the Fighting Sioux will not be around for to much longer?? :D

Secondly, Is it still an option that UND can keep the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo but just change uniform when they reach the NCAA's in any sport, i know this means that UND can not host any NCAA tournaments, but i think this is a small price to pay to be able to keep the Nickname and logo as it holds a lot of history and tradition?? :lol:

Finally, What is curreently holding up the whole process, this issue has been going for a while now but it seems the whole debate is going nowhere, what is holding up the progress?? :(

If any of these questions could be answered i would really appreciate it, THANKS :)

Firstly, What is the likelihood that UND will get to keep the Fighting Sioux Nickname and logo, i want an honest straight forward answer, is it looking good or does it look like the Fighting Sioux will not be around for to much longer?? :D

It does not look good. If I had to guess, next season might be last season for the Fighting Sioux.

Secondly, Is it still an option that UND can keep the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo but just change uniform when they reach the NCAA's in any sport, i know this means that UND can not host any NCAA tournaments, but i think this is a small price to pay to be able to keep the Nickname and logo as it holds a lot of history and tradition?? :lol:

If UND does not gain tribal approval and does not begin the transition to a new nickname by November 2010, then UND will be placed back on the NCAA's sanctions list, which would prohibit UND from wearing Sioux uniforms in NCAA tournament events, and from hosting any NCAA-sanctioned post-season events. That may be a small price to pay for hockey, but it would be an enormous price to pay for many of the other programs. It simply is not a realistic option.

Finally, What is curreently holding up the whole process, this issue has been going for a while now but it seems the whole debate is going nowhere, what is holding up the progress?? :(

UND reached a settlement with the NCAA in October 2007 that gives UND until November 2010 to gain tribal approval, change the nickname, or go back on the sanctions list. The responsibility to start negotiating with the tribes fell to the State Board of Higher Education. In my humble opinion, the chancellor has shown a lack of leadership on this issue and has basically done nothing until very recently when he formed a committee to seek a "consensus" on the nickname issue. I view this committee as light-weight and without authority to do anything meaningful. Many believe its nothing more than political cover and a mere preamble to dropping the nickname. In any event, the committee is not doing what the settlement was designed to do; namely, negotiate with the tribes.

As a result of the nickname?

Gosh, that's a blank check!

Did they ever get a bad grade? Not get drawn in the ticket lottery? Not get seats to a UND event that they wanted?

Here's your chance to throw it back in the face of UND!

Hell, who cares if you went out partying the night before that test!

Who cares if you never studied!

Who cares if you just couldn't hack that subject!

Who cares if the term lottery denotes some sort of odds-based selection criteria that automatically assumes that some will get selected and even more not!

Who cares if buying tickets to an event is a first come first served thing!

If it weren't for the nickname, everything would get better. Like playing a country music song backwards.

Please, it is WAY too easy.

Plus, those coming back to talk HAVE to have been hand selected by the pro-nickname peoples. Even if they aren't, they are under a lot of pressure to say what the tribal leaders want them to say.

It's not even worth regurgitating on this board after the fact.

Just sum it up like this:

"All my grief and stress were caused by the nickname. I wish they'd change the name to make the University an even finer institution for all, not just the hateful racist whities. It is too late for me, but it isn't too late for the next generation." :lol::D