SiouxSports.com Forum

UND v USD Traveling Trophy

Yote 53

I posted this question on the Coyote board and will do the same here.

From its birth in 1953 to its retirement in 2000, USD and UND battled it out on the gridiron for the Sitting Bull Trophy. Since it is highly unlikely Sitting Bull will come out of retirement should the two schools consider competing for a different traveling trophy? With the two schools new beginnings in the D1 world it may be a good time for the birth of a new trophy.

Thoughts on this and what suggestions would you make for what this trophy should be.

I posted this question on the Coyote board and will do the same here.

From its birth in 1953 to its retirement in 2000, USD and UND battled it out on the gridiron for the Sitting Bull Trophy. Since it is highly unlikely Sitting Bull will come out of retirement should the two schools consider competing for a different traveling trophy? With the two schools new beginnings in the D1 world it may be a good time for the birth of a new trophy.

Thoughts on this and what suggestions would you make for what this trophy should be.

I think that sounds like a great idea! Gives the two teams a little more something to compete for when playing each other! What kind of names for the trophy should be considered by both schools?

Just my two cents, but how about the Dakota Marker (I don't know if NDSU and SDSU play for this trophy at all?) or whatever else anyone else thinks? I am interested in hearing what other people think!

I think that sounds like a great idea! Gives the two teams a little more something to compete for when playing each other! What kind of names for the trophy should be considered by both schools?

Just my two cents, but how about the Dakota Marker (I don't know if NDSU and SDSU play for this trophy at all?) or whatever else anyone else thinks? I am interested in hearing what other people think!

Ooops..my bad. I thought that the Dakota Marker was between NDSU and SDSU, but I wasn't 100% sure. :whistling: Oh well..My mind is drawing a blank now! My bad though! :D

Let's play them for the Nickel! :sad:

Seriously, they should reintroduce a trophy. We played for one for almost 50 years.

There was a thread on the USD Board about this a while back, and a USD poster offerd up the idea of the "First Dakota Trophy", because there has also been somewhat of a controversy as to which state was admitted to the Union first. That sounded like a good idea.

The schools need to market this rivalry better through this transition. I give alot of credit to NDSU and SDSU for the way they've built up their games. Those two schools barely acknowledged each other for the first 100 years that they played in any sport.

Let's play them for the Nickel! :sad:

Seriously, they should reintroduce a trophy. We played for one for almost 50 years.

There was a thread on the USD Board about this a while back, and a USD poster offerd up the idea of the "First Dakota Trophy", because there has also been somewhat of a controversy as to which state was admitted to the Union first. That sounded like a good idea.

The schools need to market this rivalry better through this transition. I give alot of credit to NDSU and SDSU for the way they've built up their games. Those two schools barely acknowledged each other for the first 100 years that they played in any sport.

I agree. We need a real rivalry, something to play for during the years of transition.