SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA FANTASY HOCKEY IS CANCELED

AZSIOUX

They don't own the rights to the players names, but it is a violation of NCAA rules for a student-athlete to be involved in the promotion of a commercial organization. I would guess that is what's causing the athletes' schools, not the NCAA, consternation.

However, the timing of crackdown on AZSIOUX's game is interesting. Until this year, NCAA fantasy football providers have avoided using names (they would instead refer to "North Dakota Running Back" and so forth). This summer, a court decision in regard to MLB suggested that players' names are in the public domain. So, this year for the first time, NCAA football fantasy providers have been referring to players by name.

As to the NCAA itself, it doesn't like fantasy leagues but doesn't know what to do about them:

Myles Brand's take

So, one could join CBS in testing the applicability of the precedent or seeing if any schools or student athletes would like to bring suit, but CBS obviously has deeper pockets and more to gain.

here is the rule that universities have to go by. i always knew this would pop at some point and i thought about just using numbers but thats a major pain to do and a lot of uneeded extra work to run this league as of now

Interpretation:

The committee confirmed that if a student-athlete's name is used, without the student-athlete's knowledge or permission, in a fantasy sports game operated by an outside entity or agency, the student-athlete (or the institution acting on his or her behalf) is required to take steps (e.g., issue a cease and desist letter) to stop the activity in order to retain his or her eligibility for intercollegiate athletics.

Interpretation:

The committee confirmed that if a student-athlete's name is used, without the student-athlete's knowledge or permission, in a fantasy sports game operated by an outside entity or agency, the student-athlete (or the institution acting on his or her behalf) is required to take steps (e.g., issue a cease and desist letter) to stop the activity in order to retain his or her eligibility for intercollegiate athletics.

Yeah, that's in line with what I suspected above -- the claim there is that students/schools knowingly allowing the use of student athlete names in fantasy leagues is a violation of the promotional restrictions, which would result in athlete ineligibility if not actively prevented.

The timing is still interesting, in that you've been doing it for years yet they cracked down on you right when CBS and the other big boys decided to begin using NCAA athlete names in fantasy leagues. However, this certainly isn't the end of the lawsuits and I sure wouldn't want to ignore a cease and desist and become a test case.

here is the rule that universities have to go by. i always knew this would pop at some point and i thought about just using numbers but thats a major pain to do and a lot of uneeded extra work to run this league as of now

Interpretation:

I would say that you could wait until they issue a cease and desist, which undoubtedly would be coming. At that point you could choose to ignore it at your own peril.

That said I fully respect your decision to respect the inevitable cease and desist letter and not force the university and the players to proceed. It seems very wrong to SAY you support your team while ignoring them.

Anyway while I haven't participated due to time concerns in the past you have my respect for running the league for the enjoyment of the fans here as well as my respect for doing what you think you have to do in shutting it down.

I would say that you could wait until they issue a cease and desist, which undoubtedly would be coming. At that point you could choose to ignore it at your own peril.

That said I fully respect your decision to respect the inevitable cease and desist letter and not force the university and the players to proceed. It seems very wrong to SAY you support your team while ignoring them.

Anyway while I haven't participated due to time concerns in the past you have my respect for running the league for the enjoyment of the fans here as well as my respect for doing what you think you have to do in shutting it down.

the reason I have canceled it is that I HAVE recieved a few of the letters already from a few wcha schools. i would never shut it down without those to begin with :cool:

Wow, I am sure going to miss the chance to play WCHA fantasy hockey. But I understand AZSioux's problem. I have my own problems with the NC$$, when we try to get new graphics approved at the store I work with. Let us know in the future, when you plan on getting it going again. GO SIOUX!!!!!!!

the reason I have canceled it is that I HAVE recieved a few of the letters already from a few wcha schools. i would never shut it down without those to begin with :)

You could have at least negotiated with them! You know...like you'll gladly shut down the league providing they provide you with a team autographed stick, or some other small things to be given away during Sioux away games on Siouxsports.com! :cool:

You could have at least negotiated with them! You know...like you'll gladly shut down the league providing they provide you with a team autographed stick, or some other small things to be given away during Sioux away games on Siouxsports.com! :cool:

:)