SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Southeast Louisiana Game Thread

fightingsioux4life

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Mussman was correct when he said that our best defense was keeping their offense off the field.

So. Aside from the faked field goal, we really haven't seen the Sioux dig into their bag of tricks this season. Konrath came to UND as a walk-on QB. I would love to see the Sioux use him in some kind of trick play...

One of the things that Mussman mentioned in an interview was that we are still, essentially a D II team. We didn't bring in a lot of Juco players, so the majority of the guys we have playing this season were recruited as D II players. Not making excuses, but I think that says a lot about the talent of the team we have. They only pulled two (three?) redshirts this season, too, so the players we recruited with more scholarship dollars are not in Louisiana but are here in Grand Forks tonight.

Perhaps. But on the other hand, haven't we all been saying for that past few years that the top of DII could compete in FCS? UND is getting handled tonight by a team that was picked to finish second to last in their conference. I think it's possible that this UND team is just not as good as its been the last few years.

Perhaps. But on the other hand, haven't we all been saying for that past few years that the top of DII could compete in FCS? UND is getting handled tonight by a team that was picked to finish second to last in their conference. I think it's possible that this UND team is just not as good as its been the last few years.

Maybe SE LA is better than the preseason pronosticators thought. Preseason picks are not always accurate. And while the top of DII can compete with FCS teams on any given day, doing it week in and week out is much more difficult. The big difference is overall depth and speed. And it will take us a couple of years to build that up. I am willing to take my lumps for a couple of years to build the program the right way. I don't want a bunch of JUCOs on this team.

I hear you, but this is also a team that was competitive against and could have beat a decent FBS team (Louisiana Tech).

I think that losing some major players (Dressler, Alexander), having the smallest O-line in a long time, having a new coach, and playing against tougher competition (SELA, SIU, maybe UCDavis) is going to equal a season different from what we have been used to in previous years. Transitions aren't always smooth. :)