SiouxSports.com Forum

What's with the freakin' telethon?

fighting sue

Seriously . . . I turned the television to CBS at 8 p.m. Saturday, excited to see the freakshow that is Kimbo Slice and instead I see a telethon?

You've got to be kidding.

For those who follow MMA this is a big event. For those who've only heard of MMA this is a big event. Mixed martial arts on the "Tiffany" network? Featuring an incredibly popular, controversial figure who just happens to be on the cover of ESPN the Magazine?

But what does Grand Forks get? A freakin' telethon. Seriously? And it's being pre-empted until 2 a.m.?

I don't know what the telethon was, I don't care.

KXJB, way to show you have no clue when it comes to your viewers.

Seriously . . . I turned the television to CBS at 8 p.m. Saturday, excited to see the freakshow that is Kimbo Slice and instead I see a telethon?

You've got to be kidding.

For those who follow MMA this is a big event. For those who've only heard of MMA this is a big event. Mixed martial arts on the "Tiffany" network? Featuring an incredibly popular, controversial figure who just happens to be on the cover of ESPN the Magazine?

But what does Grand Forks get? A freakin' telethon. Seriously? And it's being pre-empted until 2 a.m.?

DVR.

You should care. They are they to help out the people that are less fortunate than you (usually with serious health problems).

MMA? Not a clue what that is. But I'm not a fan of martial arts.

You can thank hockey fans. The telethon was supposed to be shown entirely on Channel 11 (KVLY), but so many people complained that it would pre-empt the Stanley Cup finals that they moved it to Channel 4 at 7ish, once the hockey coverage began.

Children's Miracle Network telethon or Tom Skerritt?

Mixed martial arts show with Kimbo Slice scores big in Los Angeles - LA Times

In the Billings, Mont., area and parts of central Ohio, some viewers tuned in but found a prescheduled Children's Miracle Network telethon instead. Most of those CBS affiliates chose to show the MMA event at a later hour.

That wasn't the case in Greensboro, N.C., where WFMY gave rights to the event to a low-wattage network 25 miles away in Reidsville, according to program director David Briscoe. Instead, the CBS affiliate televised a 1992 made-for-TV movie called "Getting Up and Going Home," which stars Tom Skerritt as a divorced attorney who copes with his mid-life crisis by having multiple affairs.

You can thank hockey fans. The telethon was supposed to be shown entirely on Channel 11 (KVLY), but so many people complained that it would pre-empt the Stanley Cup finals that they moved it to Channel 4 at 7ish, once the hockey coverage began.

Well in the cities we got to watch a none moving radar for the first period of the hockey game. Needless to say the KARE11 tip line got many calls that night.