SiouxSports.com Forum

Titletown on ESPN

t_speaker31

I know that the Red River boys tennis team is at 11 state championships in a row and the girls are at 6. They both have won more than that but I can't recall the number.

A great feat, for sure, but I can hear the laughter of SI readers when they open up their newest issue to see Grand Forks North Dakota christened as "titletown, USA" on the basis of high school tennis championships!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ralph is meaningless in a story like this....especially since the Sioux have won exactly ZERO titles since playing in the new Ralph. There's plenty of great facilities in all sports throughout North America, many of which a team has actually won in. Writing a large paragraph on something meaningless to the story isn't going to get Grand Forks the term Titletown.

Something tells me this whole story is set up just to re-give Green Bay the term in the long run.

didnt the sioux win the MacNaughton Cup in 03-04?

Nothing personal against you. It's just the observation you made about Green Bay's lack of success is the exact same thing NDSU fans would say to Sioux fans about our lack of titles. For years, no matter what the final score of the Sioux-Bison football game was or what UND's record was, it was always, "How many rings you got?" Even now that we have finally won a title, it's, how would you say it, 1 title in the last 113 years. Your argument against the success of the Packers franchise sounds uncannily similar to the reasoning NDSU fans have used for years about how worthless our football program at UND is, that's all.

And for years, Sioux fans would taunt Gopher fans with "1979" chants or yell out things like "7 titles," "7 is greater than 3," or, more recently, obviously, "7 is greater than 5."

For the record, I think that comments like that are silly. A title is a title and that equals one thing: Immortality. But if the Sioux go another 40 years and win 1 NCAA hockey title, how much will that "8 titles" thing mean in 2048?

Well, one thing is certain: MSP will NOT be on the list.

Nor will GF. High school sports and NCAA hockey are pretty much as low on the national radar as you can get. There is no way this is going to a town that doesn't have a professional team competing in a prime time league, i.e NHL, NFL, MLB. Not saying a town has to have a pro team to be a "titletown", but the national audience is pretty short sighted--they measure success in Superbowls and and World Series.