SiouxSports.com Forum

Kupchella interviewing at Penn. school

jimdahl

It might be interesting to compare the GRH article with the original I posted on BadEagle.com: http://www.badeagle.com/cgi-bin/ib3/cgi-bi...t=ST;f=15;t=453

You can see that GFH edited out all the direct references to people of UND and the "roving Arikara" who writes for the GFH and supports the anti-logo.

A likely story, but at least they printed something about Indians with a positive attitude. That's what we need.

Bad Eagle:

I would be interested in your opinion on the following article about the Three Affiliated Tribes and their displacement from their ancestral homelands as a result of the construction of the Garrison Dam:

A flood of tears: Five decades later, tribes still recovering from dam losses

In some ways, I can not help but feel that the losses the Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara felt in the 1950's has been revisted upon the general North Dakota population in the 1980's and 1990's through flooding, rural economic malaise, and population loss.

To me, the average non-Indian North Dakotan can more easily understand and appreciate the agrarian culture of the Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara than the hunter-warrior culture of the Sioux. It is a shame all are not better understood. It seems if the best of both cultures can be taken, combined with Judeo-Christian values, and applied to the modern world, we would really have something extraordinary.

One issue I would challenge you on, Bad Eagle, is on your statement that white people should not be teaching Indian Studies. Why I certainly agree that Indians should be part of a staff teaching Indian Studies (and be the majority of the staff), your own teachings on European and Judeo-Christian values from an Indian perspective on your site have been thought provoking. I would think a white person can provide a similar perspective to an Indian Studies student.

Thanks in advance!

I think it is interesting that UND indian studies have not one member of the Sioux nation teaching in the department. I also find it interesting that we have so many white people telling natives how to feel and what they should think. Incidently when a native American writer/scholars comes forward in support of the name they are called sell outs and other names.

Incidently here is a post from a white student at UND, this was taken from http://www.vastlane.org in case you haven't been there it is a left wing leaning site.

Remind me, please, what's funny? I tend to think that calling people "genius" is a waste of our time and their time. Yeagley's intelligence has nothing to do with any of this. If we're talking about issues, let's do that. I know lots of people who want the name changed and they aren't geniuses. (Of course, one wouldn't have to be in order to understand such things.) Boring argument.

He's a wack-job because he is selective in his reporting, happily takes money from Whites to undermine the actions of the majority of Natives, and writes openly sexist things. And, although it doesn't make him wacky, him being a Rightwing "Indian" does amuse me. I wonder what sorts of things he'd discuss with Ward Churchill if they ever sat down to chat? ;-)

I don't think Enno is a sellout; at least he lives in GF. Yeagley hasn't (to my knowledge) ever visited and relies on high quality news sources like siouxsports.com for his quotes [sarcasm]. At least Enno has lived here and has *then* made up his mind.

Peace.

The very logic this person is using is flawed. Dr Yeagley's message is not popular with the left wing because he basically tells people to empower themselves and not be to be victims. I see no flaws in that kind of logic. It seems alright with me.

Thanks for the tips. I posted on Vastlane, trying to correct some basic errors. This Right Wing/Left Wing thing isn't really balanced at all. The Right Wing, the Republicans, the Conservatives, are not behind Indians at all. People are so incredibly wrong when they accuse me of being a Right Wing puppet. I'm living in my elderly Comanche mother's home, looking after her, her property, etc. It is exhausting. Where are my millions? Where are all my best sellers? What a groundless accusation, based on political prejudice alone.

Star2city: I can't get into the site, so I haven't read the article you wanted me too. I know there is a Sioux woman in South Dakota who tried to work with many farmers to help them keep their land from being used for a multi-million dollar dam project. Same issues.

Politicians, especially on the local and state level, are always construction driven. This is civilizations most basic enterprise, construction. Most expensive, most permanent, most powerful. It effects everyone. Highways, buildings, etc. Politicians give contracts to supporters. Simple as that. Companies want projects! Politicians want power and position. It's an exchange. We the people, Indian or white, live with this, with no recourse but our single vote at the polls.

Also, I haven't visited ND because I can't just "visit." It takes a plane ticket. I have been in South Dakota, however. I speak for Young America's Foundation, which arranges engagements through campus student organizations. That's the only way I can travel anywhere. I am paid very little, in comparison to others.

No, I say what I say, because I believe in what I'm saying. I do not have a successful career, as such. Were I a Left Wing anti-American, I really would be a millionaire, like those old AIMsters. But I think they have misled Indians. I'm trying to create a new path. That's all. There are lots of Indians like me, all over the country. Erik Enno is a shining example of self-respecting values, right there in UND. He's not in journalism, like me, otherwise, everyone would know about him, for sure. He has a tremendous message.

My message is broader than just monikers and logos. I speak on weapons possession also, and on other topics. I maintain, however, that I am not a "professional" in the sense of the AIMsters, or white protesters. No one is behind me. I tell you, it would be a lot easier if there were. No school is behind me, no political party, and no newspaper. I publish what I can, when I can. Most of the time, on the internet, one is not paid.