SiouxSports.com Forum

Future

SiouxFan4Life

Now that spring football is over with, we have like 3 months until football is finally here again. I just wonder what people think next season will be like. The sioux have lost a lot of players, and that has occured on both sides. Hopefully we wont loose anyother players during this summer time. Who do you think our offensive keys to succes will be, and who do you think our defensive keys to success will be. Our Corner spot seems very competative with numbers, and no one really outshining the other, which should be interesting. I think all of our linebacker spots are jamm packed, and we should some solid play no matter who is in. We also have the d line spots open. I heard two guys quit just recently, which would be unfortunate. But any info is appreciated.

Two redshirt freshmen,Corey Watts and Cody Bartlette, were the only ones not on the spring roster and thus may have quit the team.

I also noticed that Bartlett wasn't on the spring roster. He certainly had good size and probably pretty good potential. I believe Wisconsin was interested in him after his junior year of high school. Fortunately, offensive line depth seems to be pretty good so I don't think his departure will hurt much.

I agree the depth of the O-line is there. What is important, is continuity and maturation. The o-line seems to develope best as a unit or group. The complex system of reads and communications can only be executed after many repititions and study. From that, there must be successes and ultimately confidence in each other. O-linemen are truely a special fraternaty.

What do you see our recieving depth looking like. WIth Travis Lueck and Ahlers returning, plus Caleb Johnson who could be the best reciever overall, and Willis Stattelman who has great hands and body, but lacks break away speed. Dan Grossman is an extremely talented reciever and would be great lined up next to Johnson, and Jamel Alkins also has good build and speed, but I have heard that his hands are circumspect. Add in our two freshman Thomas Logering and Alec Van Dyke, we show depth. But obdviously everyone cannot play at once. Who do you see on the other side of John Bowenkamps passes the most?

Last years passing statistics need to be improved upon. Only 12 TD passes thrown. Five by Kelby Klosterman, seven by Bowenkamp. Six TD passes caught by Jesse Smith the next was two by David Wisthoff. We need two deep threat recievers. I see Lueck as one who can fill that role. The other will have to come from others you mention. I too like Johnson, not so much for his speed, but rather, how he manuevers after the catch. Grossman seems to be able to alude defenders and presents coverage problems. Trevor Mielke might be a surprise in that he may be a deep threat tight end much like Travis Headly was his junior year. Who knows what will happen this year. Last season we played many of our games from behind in the score. Opposing defenses knew we had to pass and defended the deep ball. Hence, we threw the ball alot, but, they were mainly the short routes which were a concession or semi-prevent defense. There were no long numbers put up. Maybe that will change this year.

Im not sure, I think he might be done but the signs given are un clear. As far as the rest of our d line, we should be solid. Lee Smith, and Jeff Momerack are the starters I believe with Troy Newhouse , Matt Nelson, and Jason Peterson fighting for the next chances. Momerack should have a good season with his strength and Smith is a nice change up along with Peterson with there build and ability to Batt down balls and clog up passing lanes. Nelson was an LB but maybe this will work better for him. I think he can handle the strength, and Newhouse is quick and just a balls out type of player who should make a huge impact. After them we have Erlandson, Gruchalla, and Wolff. At the nose spot we have Shane Doescher, and Josh Muro, and John Kruger. Which gives us legitimate depth, and I believe a nice range of strengths to mix things up with.

This certainly isn't good news:

Mahmoud dismissed from team

I thought it was a little odd that his name wasn't even listed in the spring roster, but I had hoped it was only because he was running track this spring instead of playing football. I guess that wasn't the reason.

I hope Beatty and Miller can actually stay healthy for a whole season. If not, the running game may be in some trouble.

That certainly brings the RB position into question with Miller and Beatty coming off injuries.... Schwenzfeier not really being a quality back and Strouth having questionable durability at 165 lbs. Not have a proven, healthy workhorse certainly could come back to haunt this team.

Anyone know what happened with Riza...or was it a string of violations including his problems last fall?

I know that Mahmoud was a disciplinary problem throughout the year, had trouble "focusing" and was barely making it in school.

I do not know if there was a specific incident that caused his dismissal. I do know that the coaching staff isn't surprised that his career ended like this.

I know everything....1st...the running back situation is even better now that riza is gone..yes..better...

beatty,miller,and swenz will all be contributing....strouth is now a wide receiver/back..but you forget about

a couple more backs 1st Adam Roland who I heard was the fastest and strongest...... riza is gone...(and he is gone because of team rules being broken...can't say any more.) full back Wistoff will also take some snaps, he was elected as a team captain and he is only gonna be a junior. For O-line they have great depth and will be solid next year...Wide receivers will be Great also. The D-fence is what will be the key next year because it will be lead by seniors Tom Irvin, Adam Stratton, Jeff Momarak(who had an impressive spring from what i hear), also LB's Digger Anderson, Tony Hermes, Tyler Dahlen, Brook Maier, Brian Lynch, Jake Nordick and eric halstenson, but with the loss of Brennan marsh it will be tough for the defence to go on. For safties Gagner will be back after suffering a broken arm in spring ball but he will be better then before because now he has experience under his belt and will have more INT's then last year..also will be josh brandsted in the rotation fitting for alot!...alot of playing time and will most likely start when statton is gone. D-line is solid with Momarak, Newhouse, smith, Shane Ducsher, matt nelsen, wolf, muro and gruchalla. Perry knows all.

I don't think the Sioux are better off without Riza. Maybe because of his attitude problems, the team is better off....but not because of all the talent waiting in the wings. A bunch of either unproven backs or injury-proned ones can't make anyone one feel too confident about the outlook for the upcoming season. And anyone counting on Schwenzfeier, come on!! He is NOT an NCC quality back! He is just not that talented of a player.

So does anyone have the story on what the situation with Ross Brennan is?

According to reports in the Fargo Forum a couple of weeks ago Brennan is back at home in West Fargo dealing with some personal issues, but although he didn't take part in spring ball he is supposed to return for the upcoming season.