SiouxSports.com Forum

sunday games in the wcha and country

AZSIOUX

True, the gophers really suck right now but to me, our 9-7-1 isn't very impressive either. If we play defense like we did Sat night against SCSU this weekend, we'll be a .500 team.

Yeah but UND has beaten some great teams: MSU, UNH, DU, C.C., NE, The Gophers have beaten Michgan and lost to Michigan and MSU. The fact remains UND is sitting great and is better off than they were last year at this time. I don't think it is time to start jumping off bridges just yet.

If the boys in green go like 1-3 over the next four games then I will start worrying. I just don't think its time to start with the Fire Hakstol or the Season is over threads just yet...

Edited by Goon

It's a disaster for the WCHA.

Let's not get too dramatic. The loss/tie hurts the Gophs, it doesn't erase the WCHA's impressive non-conference performance over the whole year. As for the Gophers chances. They are looking to be the 4th or 5th WCHA team in the tourney. They will need to bump either UND, UMD or UW. It won't happen unless they start playing a lot better. They are in a similar situation as UND was the last couple of years. On the bubble, but will safely make the field if they start winning two out three from here out. Not a easy task given the way they have played, but not impossible.

Let's not get too dramatic. The loss/tie hurts the Gophs, it doesn't erase the WCHA's impressive non-conference performance over the whole year. As for the Gophers chances. They are looking to be the 4th or 5th WCHA team in the tourney. They will need to bump either UND, UMD or UW. It won't happen unless they start playing a lot better. They are in a similar situation as UND was the last couple of years. On the bubble, but will safely make the field if they start winning two out three from here out. Not a easy task given the way they have played, but not impossible.

i think Kangas is your man. From what I saw on Friday, Frazee was not impressive. It will be interesting to see how the team plays like when you get the players back from the WJ, but I think you will get in.

You have to admit that being 1-2-1 against the AHA for a big four team like the Gophers is not very impressive.

I wouldn't count on being in the NCAA playoffs this season.

I agree on the AHA. I disagree on the playoffs. You could say that playing UND at home would be a good opportunity for say SCSU in the WCHA playoffs, cause you can't win 2 in a row at home or anywhere. :lol:

What's really embarrassing in talking so much about such a crappy team that took it to you, at your house, for 5 periods and should have won both games... :(

Kangas will be our #1 and we will be fine for the second half. We will make the tourney and nobody will want us as the 12th seed in their bracket. Thanks for your concern :D

yeah, well s&!t happens. happended to us at sconnie and happens to all teams. just take care of the AHA teams for petes sake and then go form there. kangas should be your #1 goalie for sure. no reason to put frazee out there really. we arent concerned for you and your team, just like college hockey and thats what this thread was made for. best of luck making the tourney though. i know you were shorthanded this last weekend and lost your best player for the season but AHA teams compared to your wcha schedule is a joke. if you cant open your eyes and see what most gopher fans see then thats just to bad.

thanks, at least you can see whats happening, other gopher fans are so halarious. it will take beating the teams you should beat but in reality msu, umd, uw and others are right there in the pairwise with the gophers. then it will take a couple huge wins vs top wcha teams that you have left on your schedule at the right moment. the wcha wont take a huge hit form the loss and the tie but in the end those could screw up the gophs for sure. will be interesting to see how things play out

As for the Gophers, let's not forget the auto bid through the Final Five. If the Gophers win their first round series, anything can, and often does, happen at the Final Five. Playing before the legions, the Goophs could well get the auto bid.

If the Goophs stumble and fall, it will be interesting to see the hit on ticket sales. While good Gopher fans are good college hockey fans and will go to the tournament regardless, no Gophers in Saint Paul will also mean that many of the coneheaded faithful will also not be there.

As for the Gophers, let's not forget the auto bid through the Final Five. If the Gophers win their first round series, anything can, and often does, happen at the Final Five. Playing before the legions, the Goophs could well get the auto bid.

If the Goophs stumble and fall, it will be interesting to see the hit on ticket sales. While good Gopher fans are good college hockey fans and will go to the tournament regardless, no Gophers in Saint Paul will also mean that many of the coneheaded faithful will also not be there.

You just have really laided out a beautifull scenario. No Gophers in the Final Five. Sweet.

There is a big chance that Wisconsin and Minnesota won't be at the final five this season.

You just have really laided out a beautifull scenario. No Gophers in the Final Five. Sweet.

There is a big chance that Wisconsin and Minnesota won't be at the final five this season.

right now there are many teams inclding ourselves that need to get some valuable wcha points, i say in the end it will be a big 10 free final 5 for the first time in a long while. who knows what will overall but there is a lot of hockey left to be played. mich tech showed some game this last weekend almost taking out both mich teams. good win for the wcha and tech over mich st. umd has climbed up a bit with msu over the last few wwekends as well. suprises for sure!

This is also a chance that we might not be there either.

Could you imagine if North Dakota or Minnesota did not make it to the Final Five!? Ticket sales would REALLY take a hit then. :D Like was said before the good fans of North Dakota and Minnesota will go either way but there would be pretty noticeable difference.

nope, cant imagine that :lol: would be a ticket disaster

and this would be your 5 - scalpers nightmare :(

uaa

mtu

cc

du

msu

As fun as it is to see MN struggling, this weekend wasn't a great representative of what their team should like like the 2nd half of the season. They'll be returning some talented players who want to be there, and Lucia will have a more talented and full roster to work with. That, along with my belief that they will ride Kangas the rest of the way, will make them a formidable team.

Michigan Tech demanded some respect this weekend too.

CC might struggle a little bit with their recent losses, and there are teams underachieving (MN, UM, others?), plus some solid teams in the middle of the WCHA race right now that are going to make things very interesting. Curious George has got to be happy with how things are going for him.

yeah, well s&!t happens. happended to us at sconnie and happens to all teams. just take care of the AHA teams for petes sake and then go form there. kangas should be your #1 goalie for sure. no reason to put frazee out there really. we arent concerned for you and your team, just like college hockey and thats what this thread was made for. best of luck making the tourney though. i know you were shorthanded this last weekend and lost your best player for the season but AHA teams compared to your wcha schedule is a joke. if you cant open your eyes and see what most gopher fans see then thats just to bad.

Your standing is not much better in the WCHA. You are 4 points ahead with an extra series played. You all seem to be out of your minds with Sioux flu as well. We arent in as bad of shape as you would like to hope we are. I see what all other Gopher fans see, I choose to apply my own thoughts and observations. The begining of the year, if you looked at where we are today, who is the biggest dissapointment? You guys were talking about undefeated seasons. Look at the standings, you should feel worse than I do. We have a couple of good reasons for struggling(Stoa injury, young defense and Carman's issue along with our top two D-man leaving early). We are having a down year, I would say you are having as bad if you figure in the expectations. IMHO.

Your standing is not much better in the WCHA. You are 4 points ahead with an extra series played. You all seem to be out of your minds with Sioux flu as well. We arent in as bad of shape as you would like to hope we are. I see what all other Gopher fans see, I choose to apply my own thoughts and observations. The begining of the year, if you looked at where we are today, who is the biggest dissapointment? You guys were talking about undefeated seasons. Look at the standings, you should feel worse than I do. We have a couple of good reasons for struggling(Stoa injury, young defense and Carman's issue along with our top two D-man leaving early). We are having a down year, I would say you are having as bad if you figure in the expectations. IMHO.

i dont think the sioux or gophers have a shot at the wcha title. therefore the pairwise rankings are what matter when it comes down to it and you are at 9 and we at at 16 when getting pairwise points. we are 9th in pairwise and you are tied for 15th. big difference there, very big. now a few bad losses can flip that, like a rit loss for example of course and a tie to air force. not a loss to UNH, that wont hurt you at all as you can see firts hand in the pairwise rankings. a few great wins over du and cc can boost you as well but not 1 or 2 wins over wayne state. i sure in hell wasnt talking of a undeafeated season. halarious. maybe 1 or 2 fans but that wasnt going to happen.hahaha

and yes you are correct, the gophers are having a down year. stoa's loss was crutial and i said that at the beginning and all gopher fans brushed it away like yo had so much talent to replce a first liner. now your best player bails on ya, and please..dont give me the crap that he wasnt. wheeler is a very good player for you this season but theres a reason hes still in school. the pairwise will determine who makes the ncaa tourney and right now you have a hell of a lot more worrying than the sioux do. thats all. pretty simple. neither team will win the wcha title which you strive for. the gophs may make a run and get into the ncaa tourney but i will say they wont. not because im a sioux fan but jst lookign at the situation from a hockey fan. a lot of bumps this season and now frazee may have plyed himself out of a job which may be a good thing but kangas hasnt faced a every night wcha challenge yet. time will tell...gott love wcha hockey!!

oh and a young defense? sorry, bring that excuse elsewhere. we rolled 4 freshman into a frozen 4 seaosn a couple years back. it sucks to be young on D in the WCHA but oh well. the injury to stoa nd the bailing of KO will bite you in the end. thats too much talent loss to overcome for any team

i dont think the sioux or gophers have a shot at the wcha title. therefore the pairwise rankings are what matter when it comes down to it and you are at 9 and we at at 16 when getting pairwise points. we are 9th in pairwise and you are tied for 15th. big difference there, very big. now a few bad losses can flip that, like a rit loss for example of course and a tie to air force. not a loss to UNH, that wont hurt you at all as you can see firts hand in the pairwise rankings. a few great wins over du and cc can boost you as well but not 1 or 2 wins over wayne state. i sure in hell wasnt talking of a undeafeated season. halarious. maybe 1 or 2 fans but that wasnt going to happen.hahaha

and yes you are correct, the gophers are having a down year. stoa's loss was crutial and i said that at the beginning and all gopher fans brushed it away like yo had so much talent to replce a first liner. now your best player bails on ya, and please..dont give me the crap that he wasnt. wheeler is a very good player for you this season but theres a reason hes still in school. the pairwise will determine who makes the ncaa tourney and right now you have a hell of a lot more worrying than the sioux do. thats all. pretty simple. neither team will win the wcha title which you strive for. the gophs may make a run and get into the ncaa tourney but i will say they wont. not because im a sioux fan but jst lookign at the situation from a hockey fan. a lot of bumps this season and now frazee may have plyed himself out of a job which may be a good thing but kangas hasnt faced a every night wcha challenge yet. time will tell...gott love wcha hockey!!

oh and a young defense? sorry, bring that excuse elsewhere. we rolled 4 freshman into a frozen 4 seaosn a couple years back. it sucks to be young on D in the WCHA but oh well. the injury to stoa nd the bailing of KO will bite you in the end. thats too much talent loss to overcome for any team

Good post, AZSioux, I think you pretty much summed everything up right there. I have a feeling these games this past weekend will come back to haunt us during the regional selections.

That was a good post. Well said...

Good post, AZSioux, I think you pretty much summed everything up right there. I have a feeling these games this past weekend will come back to haunt us during the regional selections.

thanks FHG :lol: just trying to explain the difference between teams in the pairwise and why games like these last weekend really matter in the long run. 2 losses vs UNH would have hurt the sioux but not even as much as 1 tie to air force does let alone the loss to RIT. its a crazy syaytem and not my favorite but its what we have to use and go by. the wcha standings dont have anything to do with the pairwise was my point and i know you got that no matter how close teams are in the wcha standings. its who you have played, when you played them and so forth.

If the Gophers are weak right now, this Friday's game will be the test. On a normal night they should beat Wayne State (3 - 13 - 2) by 4 goals or more. So they can get back winning against teams they should beat.

But this is a spot for Wayne State players to have a moment to remember if they can pull off an upset. In a couple of months the kids will be looking for a new school to play for next season.

I had someone ask me about selling my Air Force jersey today, surprised I didn't have any ask about the RIT jersey yet.

If the Gophers are weak right now, this Friday's game will be the test. On a normal night they should beat Wayne State (3 - 13 - 2) by 4 goals or more. So they can get back winning against teams they should beat.

But this is a spot for Wayne State players to have a moment to remember if they can pull off an upset. In a couple of months the kids will be looking for a new school to play for next season.

I had someone ask me about selling my Air Force jersey today, surprised I didn't have any ask about the RIT jersey yet.

hopefully you wont :D

that wayne state situation is to bad. they wont have to sit out a year right? thats would be BS if so. or maybe some wont even find a school to play for. who knows

that wayne state situation is to bad. they wont have to sit out a year right? thats would be BS if so. or maybe some wont even find a school to play for. who knows

The players get a pass from the NCAA if a team folds the program. The kids from Findlay, Iona and Farifield did when those programs shut down a few years ago.

I agree with most of what you said. I never said the pairwise position would improve after this weekend, my comment was on the WCHA and that always matters. I would strongly dissagree that your four were asked to play the roles that our Freshman D are being asked to play. It wasn't an excuse, just a contributing factor to why we are where we are. My point was that many fans on here are bashing the Gophers for the results on the ice, and rightfully. I was simply saying if we had the expectations you did, I would be more dissapointed. Not trying to troll, just wanting to add a little levity. :lol: I appreciate your well rounded view on college hockey.

I agree with most of what you said. I never said the pairwise position would improve after this weekend, my comment was on the WCHA and that always matters. I would strongly dissagree that your four were asked to play the roles that our Freshman D are being asked to play. It wasn't an excuse, just a contributing factor to why we are where we are. My point was that many fans on here are bashing the Gophers for the results on the ice, and rightfully. I was simply saying if we had the expectations you did, I would be more dissapointed. Not trying to troll, just wanting to add a little levity. :lol: I appreciate your well rounded view on college hockey.

more dissapointed? sorry. not right now, now if we get bounced first round of the ncaa tourney then you will have a point but there is a lot of hockey to be played and for the so so start for the sioux they are 9th in the pairwise with a big difference from 9th to even 13th when it comes to bad losses and wins. i would be a lot more dissapointed if the sioux lost to RIT or tied air force. really would be. thats not bashing but thats a brutal loss and tie even without whoever you are missing. no excuses for those games. with our record right now that isnt eye popping by any meanst and where we sit in pairwise, things could be a whole lot worse for the sioux.

throwing 4 freshman defensemen in on any wcha team is a tough task. not sure what you are referring to when saying they had different tasks though? how so? just wondering?