SiouxSports.com Forum

Your 2007/08 Fighting Sioux.........

AZSIOUX

Quite a few people have bounced around the question of which Sioux player is more likely to win the Hobey, Duncan or Oshie. If they stay healthy, I think they each have a good chance at the award, but I think that if Chorney played on any other team, people would be talking him up as a potential Hobey finalist. Hakstol said earlier that he thought Chorney had a chance to have a Leopold or Carle type of impact, if he stayed in college long enough. The Edmonton people think he might be the best college defenseman in the country this year. If those folks are right, he could very well seriously contend for major awards this year. He should play about 30 minutes a game, so everyone will get a good look at him. ("Just like a Sioux fan to think the whole team should win the Hobey.")

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few people have bounced around the question of which Sioux player is more likely to win the Hobey, Duncan or Oshie. If they stay healthy, I think they each have a good chance at the award, but I think that if Chorney played on any other team, people would be talking him up as a potential Hobey finalist. Hakstol said earlier that he thought Chorney had a chance to have a Leopold or Carle type of impact, if he stayed in college long enough. The Edmonton people think he might be the best college defenseman in the country this year. If those folks are right, he could very well seriously contend for major awards this year. He should play about 30 minutes a game, so everyone will get a good look at him. ("Just like a Sioux fan to think the whole team should win the Hobey.")

chorney will be an all american 1st team and the best d man in the nation. i also think he and oshie will make a run at the hobey with duncs right behind!!

chorney will be an all american 1st team and the best d man in the nation. i also think he and oshie will make a run at the hobey with duncs right behind!!

i could see dunc as a final 10, with oshie and chorney, but i think that chorney is the fav. i think dunc wont win twice in a row, and oshie's bar incident might play too. chorney and duncan always are very humble and soft spoken. oshie is too, but chorney and duncan really stick out nationwide.

i could see dunc as a final 10, with oshie and chorney, but i think that chorney is the fav. i think dunc wont win twice in a row, and oshie's bar incident might play too. chorney and duncan always are very humble and soft spoken. oshie is too, but chorney and duncan really stick out nationwide.

oshies bar incident, sorry, there wasnt much of an incident and that wouldnt stop him from getting a hobey. oshie for hobey 08 :sad:

oshie and stafford in hf top 50 prospects!!

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9897...s1125_fall2007/

23. T.J. Oshie

A thumb injury early in the season had Oshie struggling out of the gate. But later, Oshie took off and finished his sophomore campaign strong. He was among the most valuable players in all NCAA, posting an impressive 52 points in 43 games with the University of North Dakota. The final six were tournament games and Oshie was at his best, tallying a team-high 10 points. The 20-year-old native of Mt. Vernon, Washington is a high-octane offensive-minded player possessing tremendous puck skill and skating ability. A terrific playmaker with an excellent shot, Oshie is dangerous in one-on-one situations and plays a solid two-way game. With improvements on his overall speed and some added muscle, Oshie could be a crafty, productive No.1 center at the NHL level. He is heading back to North Dakota for what should be his final NCAA year.

though i'd love to see an all sioux hobey hat trick, it won't happen :sad: and actually i don't see okposo being there either. you know there will be at least one east coast kid, possibly porter from mich if he can do it without hensick and cogliano, and there always seems to be a goalie who steps up and carries his team, bishop from maine (if he is still around) was pretty solid last year and scheider from bc is finally gone (sioux fans cheer loudly) :) i don't know who i pick from our three to take the final two slots though... i change my mind, i'll go with chorney, duncs and osh.

though i'd love to see an all sioux hobey hat trick, it won't happen :sad: and actually i don't see okposo being there either. you know there will be at least one east coast kid, possibly porter from mich if he can do it without hensick and cogliano, and there always seems to be a goalie who steps up and carries his team, bishop from maine (if he is still around) was pretty solid last year and scheider from bc is finally gone (sioux fans cheer loudly) :) i don't know who i pick from our three to take the final two slots though... i change my mind, i'll go with chorney, duncs and osh.

first i think bishop may be gone, not sure though and you cant be serious that we wont have a all sioux honey hatrick, put the green goggles back on please, schneider wasnt the problem, we lit him up for over 5 goals per game in his career....okposo is a badd azz player with tons of skills, will be interesting to see as his points droped but a third after hrisch got the boot. i say he puts up 40 + but not over 50, that will be reserved for duncan and oshie will put up 60+ to be exact it will be 69 (30 goals, 39 assists)

;)

first i think bishop may be gone, not sure though and you cant be serious that we wont have a all sioux honey hatrick, put the green goggles back on please, schneider wasnt the problem, we lit him up for over 5 goals per game in his career....okposo is a badd azz player with tons of skills, will be interesting to see as his points droped but a third after hrisch got the boot. i say he puts up 40 + but not over 50, that will be reserved for duncan and oshie will put up 60+ to be exact it will be 69 (30 goals, 39 assists)

;)

i agree that schneider wasnt THE problem, but he was certainly part of it. the biggest problem was just poor team play at the wrong time. okposo wont be a hobey finalist because he is a selfish player. duncan chorney and oshie have legit chances of being finalists, with chorney leading the way imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to 4-on-4 shifts this year. Oshie, Duncan, Chorney and someone else -- LaPoint, Bina, Genoway? There will be more open ice than on the PP, and the opponent won't be playing a collapse around the goaltender D like they would on the PK. I can see shifts where Oshie and Duncan occupy a few opposing defensemen and then feed it to Chorney sneaking in from the point for the tip in.

Looking forward to 4-on-4 shifts this year. Oshie, Duncan, Chorney and someone else -- LaPoint, Bina, Genoway? There will be more open ice than on the PP, and the opponent won't be playing a collapse around the goaltender D like they would on the PK. I can see shifts where Oshie and Duncan occupy a few opposing defensemen and then feed it to Chorney sneaking in from the point for the tip in.

With a 2 ref system being installed, I'm sure we'll spend a lot of time with 3 or 4 players on the ice.

I think every team will.

• 3 weeks later...

hf avalanche prospect rankings

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9962...pects_fall2007/

18. (NR) Brad Malone, RW, 18

Acquired: 4th round, 105th overall, 2007

Younger cousin to Ryan Malone of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Brad is a product of Cushing Prep. He joined the Sioux Falls Stampede following trade at the USHL Entry Draft. In 57 games, Malone managed 14 goals, 19 assists, for 33 points, along with a +6 rating and 134 penalty minutes. He scored half his goals on the power play. In the playoffs, he tallied three goals, four points, and 24 penalty minutes in eight games. Malone is a big talented forward with untapped potential. He has the skill and size to be a dominant player, but lacks consistency. He is a strong skater with good speed and plays a smart two-way game. His offensive skills are powered by terrific puckhandling skills, natural on-ice vision leading to good passing and playmaking abilities. He is capable of playing a physical game and likes to his big, powerful frame to his advantage. Malone was selected by Acadie-Bathurst in the QMJHL draft, but has elected to go the NCAA route. He is in his freshman year at the University of North Dakota.

HF WCHA preview

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9959...season_preview/