SiouxSports.com Forum

Pipeline to the NHL

GeauxSioux

I like this quote:

"It's always better a day late than a day early," Conte said in reference to those tempted to jump out of college for the NHL before they are ready. "I've never really had a player come up to me and say they wished they left college sooner than they did.

I was watching the game between the Devils and Senators when the Devils won in double overtime. It was interesting to see the Devils power play in the first overtime that consisted of Zach Parise, Travis Zajac, Brian Gionta, Paul Martin, and Andy Greene. All of these guys have played college hockey within the past 5 years and now are on the special teams unit in overtime in the playoffs.

I was watching the game between the Devils and Senators when the Devils won in double overtime. It was interesting to see the Devils power play in the first overtime that consisted of Zach Parise, Travis Zajac, Brian Gionta, Paul Martin, and Andy Greene. All of these guys have played college hockey within the past 5 years and now are on the special teams unit in overtime in the playoffs.

These guys are all great hockey players, but the rule changes in the "new" NHL is the primary reason for the success of these guys. Where I'd like to say Zach would have succeeded regardless, there is no way he'd be standing in front of the net so easily with the old rules.

As far as the original comment about college players leave too early, and as much as I want Toews to stay for one more year, I don't think he is in the ranks of the players who were in the mind of the guy who made this comment. Toews is ready for the next level. Yes, he still has a lot to learn, but the stuff he has to learn, he has to learn at the next level.