SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU WBB Coach Jumps Ship to UWGB

star2city

SDSU's Aaron Johnston Named UWGB's Women's Basketball Head Coach

Not necessarily surprised that SDSU lost their coach after their success the past couple of years, but UWGB is hardly that big a step up. The low salaries that SDSU pays may have been a major factor, especially considering SDSU probably could have dominated WBB's in the MidCon and had a bid in two years.

SDSU's Aaron Johnston Named UWGB's Women's Basketball Head Coach

Not necessarily surprised that SDSU lost their coach after their success the past couple of years, but UWGB is hardly that big a step up. The low salaries that SDSU pays may have been a major factor, especially considering SDSU probably could have dominated WBB's in the MidCon and had a bid in two years.

The argus leader article mentions that SDSU matched the offer from UW Green Bay, so I doubt salary was a concern either way. It is kind of a puzzling move though, I thought Johnstons next move up would be to a Big 10/12 program. I think SDSU may have some transition trouble because of Johnston's offense stressing speed, as opposed to size in many cases (fast skinny centers). It will be interesting to see if they can find somebody to step in with a similar offense to what Johnston had them running.

I disagree, going from a fledgling school in the Mid-Con to UW-GB in the Horizon is a huge step up. The Horizon is easily the most prominent "Mid-Major" conference in the country. They take basketball very seriously in Wisconsin with UW, Marquette, UW-Green Bay, and UW-Milwaukee. I'd guess it was an easy decision.

I disagree, going from a fledgling school in the Mid-Con to UW-GB in the Horizon is a huge step up. The Horizon is easily the most prominent "Mid-Major" conference in the country. They take basketball very seriously in Wisconsin with UW, Marquette, UW-Green Bay, and UW-Milwaukee. I'd guess it was an easy decision.

During the last five years, the Horizon hasn't received one women's at-large bid, so there really isn't much a benefit conference wise. If he was going to move, thought it would have been to a conference that gets at-large bids. UWGB's program is top-notch (4 auto-bids) in last five years, and their athletic department seems to be placing a lot of emphasis on that program (and doesn't have to pay for a football program), so it is a good move. What is surprising is that Johnston actually accomplished a lot more than Miles, yet Miles' upward movement was greater. The real issue may be the glass ceiling in women's basketball for male coaches, as most BCS type programs want female coaches.

Apparently Johnston isn't leaving after all. link. I still think he's a good coach, but I really hate it when coaches do this, i.e. announce they're taking a job only to reconsider after a day or two.

Guess he's going to be at SDSU for a few years. I don't see a school taking a chance on him after this for awhile.

Apparently Johnston isn't leaving after all. link. I still think he's a good coach, but I really hate it when coaches do this, i.e. announce they're taking a job only to reconsider after a day or two.

Welcome to DI sports. There's so much more you're not going to like... pulling out of schedule games is another... you can ask our good pals at Montana State about that one... or how about the fabulous transition Northern Colorado has been having... great press year. All of this comes with the turf. It's worth it though, to play at this level.

:D