SiouxSports.com Forum

TJ Oshie-High School Video

aleah

Neat video but one thing did jump out at me.

As a nonskater, could someone take the time to explain why that guy was taking a heat gun to his ice skates?

It helps the boot of the skate form to your foot. It's mostly done with new skates to break them in quicker, so I'm not sure why he was doing it at that point of the season, unless he had a new pair of skates.

Neat video but one thing did jump out at me.

As a nonskater, could someone take the time to explain why that guy was taking a heat gun to his ice skates?

yeah, with older skates especially, they put them in an oven and then you wear them around to mold to your foot. with a lot of newer skates, they dont need an oven. but as aleah said, im sure he was using the gun to just dry them off

yeah, with older skates especially, they put them in an oven and then you wear them around to mold to your foot. with a lot of newer skates, they dont need an oven. but as aleah said, im sure he was using the gun to just dry them off

I wouldn't send a single person on the ice with new skates without heat molding them first.

I wouldn't send a single person on the ice with new skates without heat molding them first.

But, if you leave them in too long... well... let's just say that you can ruin a $150 pair of skates and set laces on fire and scare that h-e-?-? out of your dogs!

Heat gun sounds like a better bet from here on out!

PS - And punching out your own skates with a 5 guage punch is not a proper substitute for professional removal of hot spots... :D