SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Spring Classic

siouxfan5

It can be, but luckily for me he's a thick-skinned kid. He doesn't get too high when he plays well and doesn't get too low when he has an off game. That makes it a lot easier to just roll with the punches and not take it too seriously. The wins and losses don't mean all that much yet. At this age it's more about developing skills and having fun.

Funny thing is my middle boy who enters his 1st year of Squirts next year has decided he's going to be a goalie too just like his brother. That leaves us with only one kid who might be able to score some goals. The two older boys tease me that they're going to make their little brother be a goalie too. :angry:

My son is the goalie for the EGF Pee Wee B team that will be in the tourney. A couple years ago I would be a wreck when he took his turn as goalie for his mite team, more worried about what his team mates would say to him and how he would handle that than the actual outcome of the game. Like DaveK said about his son, mine rolls with the punches, tries his best and has fun.

My younger son too will be a first year squirt next year and, although he takes his turn and plays goal for his mite team, he has assured me it is funner to score goals than to try to stop them.

It can be, but luckily for me he's a thick-skinned kid. He doesn't get too high when he plays well and doesn't get too low when he has an off game. That makes it a lot easier to just roll with the punches and not take it too seriously. The wins and losses don't mean all that much yet. At this age it's more about developing skills and having fun.

Funny thing is my middle boy who enters his 1st year of Squirts next year has decided he's going to be a goalie too just like his brother. That leaves us with only one kid who might be able to score some goals. The two older boys tease me that they're going to make their little brother be a goalie too. ;)

How did they do?

I was in Bismarck at the bouncey ball tourney :blush:

My brother was in the mites on one of the Canada teams, one of the teams was easily all nine year olds and was like a all-star team, also having to pay $35 was nonsense. My brother got one of those jersey shirts though they were very nice, they played the supra's green at 8 in the morning at the Purpur for 5th place on Sunday which I didn't get either, the tourney was drawn up very differently, but they won 13-1. I have to say though that American hockey is very different from canadian hockey, the american's are very into it, up here we have the couple of dad's that yell at the kids, down there everyone cheers and I like how the teams in the states all have matching track suits and everything, not even are AAA teams get Track suits and stuff like that. I also didn't like how they had a all-star team in each divison I think, but for sure in the mites that go out and just score as many goals as they can, like 38-0, Just give up at 10. Other than that I kind of liked seeing how hockey is in the states, and it was a pretty good tournament overall.

The EGF Pee Wees didn't do very well. We faced Bismarck on Friday evening and lost 4-3 in OT on the main REA sheet, I missed that game as I was at my Mite's game at the EGF Civic Center. On Saturday they faced Carman, MB again at REA and played pretty uninspired, lost 4-2. Sunday they faced Assiniboa West, MB at Gambucci and pulled out a season ending win, 5-2.

Now my son starts with his AAA team, the '95 Lumberjacks, in Blaine on Thursday in the Showcase Hockey AAA League. He got drafted by this team and they play out of the Schwan Super Rink. This will start 10 practices, 14 games and 3 tournaments within league play and the International Cup Tournament at the Super Rink in late June and early July and Hockey Fest in Alexandria in late July.

And I agree, $35 was a bit steep. We were in the Fargo Squirt International a couple years ago and it was $25 I think, that is about as much as I think they should charge, even for a whole weekend.

The EGF Pee Wees didn't do very well. We faced Bismarck on Friday evening and lost 4-3 in OT on the main REA sheet, I missed that game as I was at my Mite's game at the EGF Civic Center. On Saturday they faced Carman, MB again at REA and played pretty uninspired, lost 4-2. Sunday they faced Assiniboa West, MB at Gambucci and pulled out a season ending win, 5-2.

Now my son starts with his AAA team, the '95 Lumberjacks, in Blaine on Thursday in the Showcase Hockey AAA League. He got drafted by this team and they play out of the Schwan Super Rink. This will start 10 practices, 14 games and 3 tournaments within league play and the International Cup Tournament at the Super Rink in late June and early July and Hockey Fest in Alexandria in late July.

And I agree, $35 was a bit steep. We were in the Fargo Squirt International a couple years ago and it was $25 I think, that is about as much as I think they should charge, even for a whole weekend.

There shouldn't even be a price! we payed to go into the tournament, and that was a lot of money, so there is no need. Every tournament up here we never have to pay, unless its Junior A or Provincal AAA

The $35 fee was a weekend pass for a family. For an individual it was $20. Players don't have to pay. So if one parent went with a kid it would cost $20, $35 if both parents attend together. I don't complain about having to pay to attend tournaments because I realize that's a big part of the fundraising process for the youth hockey programs. If they didn't charge us admission to these tournaments they would just raise our annual fees. I'd rather spend a little more at various times throughout the year than a lot more every fall when I sign my kids up to play.

I agree with you Dave. I thinks it's better to find ways to raise money during the year than to have to up the price in sign-up fees.

CHAMPIONSHIPS

Mites - GF Blues over Fargo

Squirt B - Sioux City over Hallock

Squirt A - Fargo over GF Blues

PeeWee B - ? ? ?

Estevan, Sask won the PWB bracket - I don't remember who they played, but it ended up in 2 OTs. Estevan beat my son's team in the 3rd round - they had some big kids! I could swear two of them were at least 6ft tall!

I watched the EGF/Bismarck game that day - Bismarck won by pure luck! My son's team was playing the winner of your game - the kids were rooting for EGF, as we had not played your team at all this past year.

Good luck on the AAA team! I'm jealous - we just got screwed over on our spot on a AAA team by a rival team parent who decided to put himself in charge of everything, including who plays. Gotta love those hockey politics!

Estevan, Sask won the PWB bracket - I don't remember who they played, but it ended up in 2 OTs. Estevan beat my son's team in the 3rd round - they had some big kids! I could swear two of them were at least 6ft tall!

Reminds me of a little league game we had with a Winnipeg team one time. They all seemed 6' tall and had 5 O'Clock shadows.