SiouxSports.com Forum

Chris Porter

UNDintheNHL

Porter's future role  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What will his role be in the future?

• 1st Line NHL Forward
    • 2nd Line NHL Forward
    • 3rd Line NHL Forward
    • 4th Line NHL Forward
    • Up and Downer NHL-AHL
    • Career AHLer
    • other

Hmm...well I may be a "newb" as you say on this board, but I can still have an opinion...it seems someone (cough...chevyblaiser..cough) :D might have been a little offended by my last comment maybe??? All I am saying is that if Porter wears the "C" then he has the responsibility to play in the same way as a Panzer, a Goren, or even a younger Massen. Even if Porter takes bad penalties or slams his stick and curses loudly after missing a shot or a pass or a hit, he still is producing at an incredible rate this year at that will translate into his year next year......Thoughts?;)??

If you are comparing players to chris porter, like panzer and a younger james massen you are totally mistaken. i would have to agree with chevyblasier porter and panzer are not similar at all instead i would compare proter to a nhl'er like Paul Gaustad. They both have great leg definiton, and great speed through there tight turns. Porter may not put up the points like goren or panzer but still needs to provide some offensive output being the captain the team expects that from him and need his guidence through the year.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I enjoy fishing Stromer...I will reveal the fact that I am a little upset with a few antics that "some" posters have pulled on this board...my inability to control my own emotions regarding this argument over Porter's undeniable skill have caused to to flame a bit on this topic...so I apologize, but so should you for being out of loop on this argument and instead questioning the validity of posters on this free speech, wonderfully run website message board.... :D:D;) thoughts

I am not questioning why you posted, I am in fact a big supporter of free speech. I just find it a little odd that this is the topic so many people felt moved by to start their first posts in. As long as you can prove it's 4 seperate people and not 1 person with multiple personalities, I am game. :p

Carry on!

Hmm...well I may be a "newb" as you say on this board, but I can still have an opinion...it seems someone (cough...chevyblaiser..cough) :D might have been a little offended by my last comment maybe??? All I am saying is that if Porter wears the "C" then he has the responsibility to play in the same way as a Panzer, a Goren, or even a younger Massen. Even if Porter takes bad penalties or slams his stick and curses loudly after missing a shot or a pass or a hit, he still is producing at an incredible rate this year at that will translate into his year next year......Thoughts?;)??

Massen? Was that the guy whose picture was put on a milk carton rather than in the media guide during his 4 years at UND?

Hmm...well I may be a "newb" as you say on this board, but I can still have an opinion...it seems someone (cough...chevyblaiser..cough) :ohmy: might have been a little offended by my last comment maybe??? All I am saying is that if Porter wears the "C" then he has the responsibility to play in the same way as a Panzer, a Goren, or even a younger Massen. Even if Porter takes bad penalties or slams his stick and curses loudly after missing a shot or a pass or a hit, he still is producing at an incredible rate this year at that will translate into his year next year......Thoughts??????

For those of you keeping score at home, "incredible rate" equals 6 :D

Massen? Was that the guy whose picture was put on a milk carton rather than in the media guide during his 4 years at UND?

No that would be the guy who was part of the line (Horsemen) that turned around the Fighting Sioux 2004-2005 team and helped them to the Championship, where they outplayed but lost to DU. It's about how you finish...

No that would be the guy who was part of the line (Horsemen) that turned around the Fighting Sioux 2004-2005 team and helped them to the Championship, where they outplayed but lost to DU. It's about how you finish...

I loved watching that line play. Massen with Fabian and Canady IIRC. What a grinder line that was.

I loved watching that line play. Massen with Fabian and Canady IIRC. What a grinder line that was.

Speaking of grinders, how's the Red Pepper these days? :lol:???:D Please excuse the lack of interest by myself regarding this thread but the most educated response to this whole thing was Hacksaw Jim Duncan (whoever that guy is :ohmy:) referring porter to gaustad of the sabres. Both play very much alike. If you dont know what kind of player gaustad is, I would best describe him as a Basil Mcrae (for those former North Stars fans) minus the fighting ability plus a playmaking ability. On the other hand, speaking of James Massen, does anyone know how he is doing? I heard that there was some trouble with the law, or something along those lines, in the last year or so in Bismark. Quinn Fylling is another name that my sister's nephew brought up. Any updates? Also, what was the post about the squirrel supposed to mean? :lol: I liked it yet didnt understand it. Hopefully the sioux can fair a little better in tomorrow's game as they make the final playoff push. toodles

The Red Baron

Oh yeah, I remember now, that was the guy that went 2g 5a 7pts in 39g that year. Pure domination. My bad.

Oh yeah, I remember now, that was the guy that went 2g 5a 7pts in 39g that year. Pure domination. My bad.

Never fails. If the stats aren't padded, he must suck.

I don't know how Fabian finds himself in the lineup.

Or Rory McMahon the first three years as a Sioux.

Or Mike Prpich.

Or any of our defensemen from the past... I don't know.. .15 years with a few exceptions?

Toews should have missed half the season due to his crappiness.

Seriously, do you watch the games? If you did, you wouldn't have to rely on stat sheets so much

Or Mike Prpich.

Or any of our defensemen from the past... I don't know.. .15 years with a few exceptions?

Seriously, do you watch the games? If you did, you wouldn't have to rely on stat sheets so much

IMO, Massen performed well under expectations. He had a decent sophomore season but then he pretty much fell off the map. He had short stints of good play, but nothing that I'd put in the same category as Fabian, McMahon, or Prpich. However, I understand the point you're trying to make Redwing. A player doesn't have to be on the stat sheet regularly to be a good role player, and every contender for a national title needs role players.

IMO, Massen performed well under expectations. He had a decent sophomore season but then he pretty much fell off the map. He had short stints of good play, but nothing that I'd put in the same category as Fabian, McMahon, or Prpich. However, I understand the point you're trying to make Redwing. A player doesn't have to be on the stat sheet regularly to be a good role player, and every contender for a national title needs role players.

We heard that over and over the year Massen was a senior.

Jake Brandt in his senior year comes to mind. Didn't play...but was a leader for the team.

Or Mike Prpich.

Pretty weak examples. Fabian is built about like Massen was and doesn't have anymore skill, HOWEVER Fabian's non-stop work ethic has earned him a spot on the penalty kill. I don't remember Massen playing a single shift on the PK. McMahon was superb defensively and a very skilled face-off man. I don't recall Massen taking many must have face-offs at the end of games. Prpich was the agitator and tough guy (when needed). I don't recall Massen filling either of these roles. Comparing Massen to the defensmen is ridiculous since as far as I know, Massen never played a shift at Dman while at UND. Massen was brought in to score. He for the most part didn't. He might be a nice guy, maybe things went on behind the scenes that we don't know about, but the bottom line is, he had plenty of icetime while at UND, and was still a bust, plain and simple. Numbers aren't everything, but in this case I think they are a fairly accurate representation of a career.

Pretty weak examples. Fabian is built about like Massen was and doesn't have anymore skill, HOWEVER Fabian's non-stop work ethic has earned him a spot on the penalty kill. I don't remember Massen playing a single shift on the PK. McMahon was superb defensively and a very skilled face-off man. I don't recall Massen taking many must have face-offs at the end of games. Prpich was the agitator and tough guy (when needed). I don't recall Massen filling either of these roles. Comparing Massen to the defensmen is ridiculous since as far as I know, Massen never played a shift at Dman while at UND. Massen was brought in to score. He for the most part didn't. He might be a nice guy, maybe things went on behind the scenes that we don't know about, but the bottom line is, he had plenty of icetime while at UND, and was still a bust, plain and simple. Numbers aren't everything, but in this case I think they are a fairly accurate representation of a career.

You cite numbers and state this is why Massen was subpar and then contradict yourself. Good one!

Don't cite numbers as the foundation of why Massen was a bust if numbers aren't everything.

You cite numbers and state this is why Massen was subpar and then contradict yourself. Good one!

Don't cite numbers as the foundation of why Massen was a bust if numbers aren't everything.

Please read again. In addition to numbers, I cite additional reasons why his career was a disappointment. If you don't score, you should fill a role or provide some intangibles. Did he play on PK? No. Did he take important faceoffs? No. Did he get under the skin of the other team? No. Was he the team tough guy? No. With the exception of about the last 10 games or so of his career, was he known as a defensive stopper? No. I don't remember him ever being a Captain either. Need more of a foundation? His career was a disappointment. It happens.