SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers screw job acknowledged

Corella

Thought this was interesting and it got me thinking.

refs screwed up

It got me thinking about the worst call in sport's history when Josh Mueller's shot was called good by the refs in Vermillion in 03. I don't recall there ever being an admission of wrong doing in that case like this. Have to disagree with a ruling like this though. If such a ruling is made, I feel the outcome should be reversed in cases where there is referee error on a shot at the buzzer, or if there is mismanagement by the clock operator on such a shot. What good does an admission of wrong doing do if the outcome isn't reversed? Something I found interesting, anyway.

My question is...what's the point of the light-up backboard if it doesn't match the game clock??? Do you really think a ref shoud be watching the score board instead of the game??? They screw up enough without that :whistling: Seriously...Gophers need to get a grip...they have by far more to worry about than losing a buzzer beater to SDSU...thay lost to NDSU legitamately for *&!* sakes!!!

On the Mueller shot I think the bigger controversy was that he was awarded a three pointer. It appeared that he was a good foot in front of the arc when he shot the ball. By rule anytime there is .3 seconds or more a catch and shoot is allowed. Mueller did just that he caught and shot. Most of the time a player will be allowed a little more than .3 to get the shot off as long as it isn't ridiculous. I felt Mueller got the shot off within a second but he probably didn't get it off by .3 seconds. That is very much debatable. When didn't appear to be debatable was that he wasn't behind the three point line. I guess that ruling makes up for the NCAA committees decision in 1993 to award the Mens North Central Regional Tournament to North Dakota when USD was much more deserving to host that year. Luckily the Yotes got through it anyway.

BTW, congradulations on your womens teams victory over USD. The Sioux women were easily the deserving team in that game. The UND women wanted the game worse than the Coyotes did. Your hustle, rebounding, talent and coaching were all better than USD's that night. The Coyotes were lucky to be in OT that night. What is the deal with your fans though. To come all the way down from Grand Forks you would think they would want to stay for both games but half left after the womens game.

My question is...what's the point of the light-up backboard if it doesn't match the game clock??? Do you really think a ref shoud be watching the score board instead of the game??? They screw up enough without that :whistling: Seriously...Gophers need to get a grip...they have by far more to worry about than losing a buzzer beater to SDSU...thay lost to NDSU legitamately for *&!* sakes!!!

I think the backboard light would match the buzzer, though, in which case it would make sense to use it. Like I said in another thread, there is 0.09 seconds left on the clock when a clock reading in tenths reads 00.0.

LOL. Well, I'm glad that Minnesota was able to get the only mistake made during the entire game fixed! It must be a relief to know that your refs made no bad calls, except for that one last play, and that you were able to get it corrected. :whistling:

On the Mueller shot I think the bigger controversy was that he was awarded a three pointer. It appeared that he was a good foot in front of the arc when he shot the ball. By rule anytime there is .3 seconds or more a catch and shoot is allowed. Mueller did just that he caught and shot. Most of the time a player will be allowed a little more than .3 to get the shot off as long as it isn't ridiculous. I felt Mueller got the shot off within a second but he probably didn't get it off by .3 seconds. That is very much debatable. When didn't appear to be debatable was that he wasn't behind the three point line. I guess that ruling makes up for the NCAA committees decision in 1993 to award the Mens North Central Regional Tournament to North Dakota when USD was much more deserving to host that year. Luckily the Yotes got through it anyway.

BTW, congradulations on your womens teams victory over USD. The Sioux women were easily the deserving team in that game. The UND women wanted the game worse than the Coyotes did. Your hustle, rebounding, talent and coaching were all better than USD's that night. The Coyotes were lucky to be in OT that night. What is the deal with your fans though. To come all the way down from Grand Forks you would think they would want to stay for both games but half left after the womens game.

You should see home games when it happens. By halftime of a mens game you can sit just about anywhere you want. Sad this here because the men actually play hard and compete. Last year, people should have left. This year, not so sure.

Thought this was interesting and it got me thinking.

refs screwed up

It got me thinking about the worst call in sport's history when Josh Mueller's shot was called good by the refs in Vermillion in 03. I don't recall there ever being an admission of wrong doing in that case like this. Have to disagree with a ruling like this though. If such a ruling is made, I feel the outcome should be reversed in cases where there is referee error on a shot at the buzzer, or if there is mismanagement by the clock operator on such a shot. What good does an admission of wrong doing do if the outcome isn't reversed? Something I found interesting, anyway.

This is funny , only because the other nite at the UND mens game, "Al Monaco" one of the Refs at that game, did a pretty decent job at The UND vs Mankato game....

I told him "Al nice job tonite, but still can not forgive you on that USD game a few years ago"

He turned and gave me a smile and said I know I'm sorry...