SiouxSports.com Forum

Most Powerful College Sports Figure- Big 10's Delany

star2city

Until reading this article, Playoff plunderer - Big 10 Commissioner Jim Delany, I was skeptical that a Big Ten Hockey Conference would ever make an appearance. But with these types behaviors and quotes, Delany certainly seems like he has the capacity and capability to put the screws to the college hockey world.

Shortly after Delany's hiring, Penn State initiated talks to join the Big Ten. Working on behalf of the presidents, Delany kept the talks top secret. In fact, he kept the talks so secret that most of the Big Ten athletic directors (including Bay), coaches and faculty members learned about Penn State's joining the conference when they read it in the newspaper.

They were furious.

Since then, Delany has repaired many of the damaged relationships. But as he said during the turmoil that followed Penn State's addition to the Big Ten and has repeated since, "I work for the presidents, and I work with everyone else."

If the presidents trusted him, Delany realized, they would empower him. And so it happened.

In my humble view, Jim Delany is clearly the most powerful figure in college athletics.''

I would think that FSN has a multi-year deal to air the Gophers and Badgers games. Plus, I don't think these two schools want to give up that direct money so that the Big Ten Network can air their games and the conference gets the money.

Has anything even been mentioned about this network airing in the Twin Cities?